Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 16th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Drawbacks to forward cabin?

My family is booked in two adjoining cabins aboard Dream for the Sept 24 sailing. We are in the forward most balcony cabins on the Empress deck.

Any drawbacks to these cabins or forward cabins in general? None of have issues with sea sickness, but I am wondering about a few things:

Is the bridge hanging over our balcony? From the deck plans I can find, it looks like the portion of the bridge that protrudes past the passenger areas may be right above our balcony.

Will we hear anchor noise? If they even use the anchor at our ports (Nassau, St Thomas, St Maarten)

anything else?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

On the Magic, we were cabin 9216, and we could see the bridge to our right, but were level with it. We had no noise or movement issues being forward.

Even if the bridge extension is right over you, I would not think there would be any noise, as this area is not manned continuously.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 17th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Admiral

I doubt that you'll hear the anchor noise up on Empress. If you're BELOW the anchor deployment deck, you will hear all of that. Same with the noise of the sea hitting the hull. That's sometimes a problem with WAY forward cabins, on lower decks. Yes, you will feel a bit more motion on forward decks, regardless of which deck it is, but if you have no problem with motion sickness, I certainly wouldn't worry about it. I'd bet you'll enjoy your cabin! Have a GREAT one!

"SKY"
Old June 17th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Admiral

How useable would a forward balcony be while the ship is in motion?
Old June 17th, 2011, 06:22 PM
First Mate

We had a forward cablin on the Empress deck of the Freedom.

We could hear some noise as the bow hit waves on choppy days but it was not an intrusive or disturbing noise. I expected motion each time I heard a wave hit, but didn't feel any. Over all motion was less than I expected, smoother than in the back. I Didn't hear the anchor any at all.

The bridge crew could look down on our balcony from the bridge overhang but there was no one there most of the time. Usually going in and out of port but not much at sea.

Never had any problems with using the balcony while the ship was in motion. No problem with the wind or spray.

2012 Carnival Destiny
2011 Carnival Splendor
2011 Carnival Pride
2010 Carnival Legend (w/ Hurricane Paula)
2010 Carnival Imagination
2009 Carnival Valor
2008 Carnival Freedom
2008 Carnival Facination
2007 Carnival Triumph
2006 Carnival Miracle
2005 Carnival Victory
2002 Carnival Imagination
Old June 18th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Admiral

I just remembered another thing to think about. Could be good,,,,,or bad! We were in one of the most forward cabins aboard "Dream" recently, and had dinner in the aft dining room. It is a LONG, LONG way from the bow to the stern on "Dream"! I just figured we could have an additional "chocolate melting cake" each evening, because we'd walk it off going back to the cabin. Just a thought!

"SKY"
Old June 18th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Admiral

Sky..my cruising friend and I actually enjoyed our long dinner stroll every night on the Carnival Liberty...on the other hand, we were on deck 9 forward, so it was a very short walk everyday to the pool and lunch on the lido deck
Old June 19th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Familiar Face

We always book as high and forward as we can. We only felt the ship rolling once,and the captain was trying to outrun a hurracane at the time.That was FUN!!!!! Since my wife and I almost live in the gym and spa, this part of a ship makes it easy to get there and back. As far a being along ways from food, just gives one a reason to go for a jog
Old June 19th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
I just remembered another thing to think about. Could be good,,,,,or bad! We were in one of the most forward cabins aboard "Dream" recently, and had dinner in the aft dining room. It is a LONG, LONG way from the bow to the stern on "Dream"! I just figured we could have an additional "chocolate melting cake" each evening, because we'd walk it off going back to the cabin. Just a thought!

"SKY"
The walk will do me some good then

Of course for my mother in law, who has some issues with her feet... I guess we'll just have to make sure that we leave early enough to make it there on time. Heck, travelling with a three year old should make for a lot of interesting time issues anyway. I don't remember the last time I was actually on time for something... probably before my son was born

Does the dining room assignment vary by dining time selected, or is it random? Is there any way to tell ahead of time?

Thanks!
Old June 20th, 2011, 02:04 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post

"SKY"
Skymaster...we know exactly what you mean. We had an aft corner cabin on the Dream last October. It was handy to the dining room but the walk back to the cabin from the shows in the theater allowed you to count every one of the 1,000 feet in the length of the passageway.

Read and post cruise reviews
NCL - Pride of America - May 2011
Carnival Elation - February 2011
Carnival Elation - November 2010
Carnival Dream - October 2010
RCL Oasis of the Seas - May/June 2010
Carnival Fantasy - April 2010
HAL Ryndam - September 2009
Carnival Holiday - May 2009
Carnival Celebration - April 5, 2008
Carnival Liberty - May 2007
Carnival Miracle - April 2006
Windjammer Fantome - 1987
Old June 20th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Admiral

I have stayed in a forward cabin during one of my cruises. I did not see any negatives. We enjoyed the cruise just as much as any other cruise.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old June 20th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannzzigg View Post
The walk will do me some good then

Does the dining room assignment vary by dining time selected, or is it random? Is there any way to tell ahead of time?

Thanks!
I think the assignment of "traditional dining" is purely random, and not based on dining time, or cabin location. We've had aft dining room, and an aft cabin, and as noted before, we've had aft dining room, with our cabin WAY up in the bow. I don't think they look at the cabin location at all, when assigning the dining room, and table. but to be honest, I really don't think it matters that much. Like you said,,,,the walk will do us ALL some good. (Especially after that extra escargot, and the second dip of ice cream on my chocolate melting cake!)

"SKY"