CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Let me off the ship please:( (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/383186-let-me-off-ship-please.html)

Trip June 17th, 2011 04:44 PM

Let me off the ship please:(

I just read, in Conde Nast's Ombudsman column, about a family who had many issues on a Viking River cruise, and, decided to leave the ship, based on Viking's service pledge,which stated, in part: a full refund to any dissatisfied customer.

This got me wondering, have any of you ever used the similar policy, Carnival offers,and how did it go for you? Did you work within the guidelines set forth to use it? Anyone dispute your request?

Carnival Vacation Guarantee | Carnival Cruise Lines

In the above case, although Viking disputed some of the issues stated, with the intervention of Ombudsman, they got their full $8,000 back.

I wonder how often people use the guarentee on Carnival...I bet not many.

Fern June 17th, 2011 08:26 PM

Trip, I think the ship would have to sink for us to be dissatisfied :shock: !

We've had some "problems" on our cruise's, but nothing that would make us ask for $$$ back or make us leave the ship.

Like you, I'd love to hear about people who did take advantage of the guarantee, not only on Carnival, but on any cruise ship.

S.S.Oceanlover June 18th, 2011 01:21 AM

on CCL you have to notify them that you want to invoke the guarantee before the first foreign port of call.

You receive the prorated balance of the cruise back and have to pay your own way home and get reimbursed after you are home.

Not sure when they give you the balance of the cruise money back but i bet they send that to you after you are home also.

Bill

Mike M June 18th, 2011 01:46 AM

Raw sewage in my cabin and no other cabin to move to would make me invoke the "Cruise Guarantee".

Excessive noise that made it impossible to sleep (though I can usually sleep anywhere) would also be a possible reason.

Otherwise there wouldn't be too much else that would make me invoke it.

Take care,
Mike

skymaster June 18th, 2011 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike M (Post 1376928)
Raw sewage in my cabin and no other cabin to move to would make me invoke the "Cruise Guarantee".

The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) and I actually had this problem many, many years ago on the old Festivale. Fortunately, it was a short cruise, (4 day as I recall) and with the help of the crew, and some really wet towels stuffed down the shower drain, we made it through. Carnival refunded 100% of our fare after we got home.

"SKY"

venice June 18th, 2011 09:38 AM

Trip..did the article detail what the issues were ?

Dan40 June 18th, 2011 09:10 PM

Never in 51 cruises have I ever had a thought of invoking any 'guarantee.' And I'm very picky. If fact if someone is more picky than me, I want them to invoke the guarantee and leave the ship!:D:D

Trip June 18th, 2011 09:28 PM

Venice here are a few things that the family was not happy with, and, so, invoked the pledge of service guarentee.

Because of high rains in Europe, the Danube water levels were very high, prohibiting sailing under the bridges. They had to substitute ships, to a smaller one, since their ship, the Viking Pride,was stuck in Nuremberg. Some of their luggage, never made it out of the airport..This was part of the dispute by the line, and, rightly so. Not the lines fault.

There was more to add to the complaints, but you get the gist...

OldFartCruiser June 18th, 2011 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1377046)
Venice here are a few things that the family was not happy with, and, so, invoked the pledge of service guarentee.

Because of high rains in Europe, the Danube water levels were very high, prohibiting sailing under the bridges. They had to substitute ships, to a smaller one, since their ship, the Viking Pride,was stuck in Nuremberg. Some of their luggage, never made it out of the airport..This was part of the dispute by the line, and, rightly so. Not the lines fault.

There was more to add to the complaints, but you get the gist...

Trip, Glad it was for reasons beyond Vikings control, since I will be cruise the Yangtze w/them in a few months.

O F Cer

Queen of Oakville June 19th, 2011 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike M (Post 1376928)

Excessive noise that made it impossible to sleep (though I can usually sleep anywhere) would also be a possible reason.

Otherwise there wouldn't be too much else that would make me invoke it.

Take care,
Mike

Mike, that is what I was thinking. I've been fortunate enough to not experience, but I've read people post about have sewage problems and/or flooding in their cabins. That could be the only reason I would think of.

green_rd June 20th, 2011 07:25 AM

There have been some ports where I didn't want to get back on the ship! (not quite the same thing)