Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 24th, 2011, 01:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Health Declaration Form

Does anyone know if this is printable online? It just seems it is counter-productive to have everyone filling this out in the terminals using the same ink pens. If someone is actually sick or contagious they are just passing it to everyone else checking in it would seem. Or is it a law that it has to be filled out at the check in time at the Terminal?
Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2011, 06:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Dwyne,
You bring up a good point for sure. I am not aware of being able to download and print out the form prior to getting to cruise terminal. May-be sometime in the future they will have that available to do before cruise..

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 24th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Admiral

I think the point may be are you sick right now. Many people complete all their on-line "paperwork" months ahead of time.

But the pen thing is a good question.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Coral Princess - tour starts 5/31 in Fairbanks

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old June 24th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Admiral

I suppose it's a good point,,,but how about the door to the terminal, or the handrail of the escalator, or the seat where you sit down while waiting for your number to be called. I'd suggest that you bring your own pen, and enjoy getting aboard the ship for a wonderful vacation!

"SKY"
Old June 24th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Captain

Since the form is the same each time, you could grab a couple extra forms for next time and have them already filled out. I did that once with a B2B, .. just in case they wanted it again .. but you could do it for any cruises.Just save them somewhere.
Old June 24th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Admiral

I just use my own pen.
Old June 24th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Admiral

I always use my own pens in public ,especially in a doctors office .
Old June 24th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Admiral

Would anyone actually travel to the port & say ''Yep I have had a temperature & "the runs" for days''..''oh yeah, & the swine flu thing...''
Old June 24th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
Does anyone know if this is printable online? It just seems it is counter-productive to have everyone filling this out in the terminals using the same ink pens. If someone is actually sick or contagious they are just passing it to everyone else checking in it would seem. Or is it a law that it has to be filled out at the check in time at the Terminal?
It basically defeats the entire purpose of the form to be able print it and fill it out before you board. People could just fill it out a month or weeks before their cruise and then hand it in when they board.

Now for the reality of the form. Almost anyone will answer "No" to all the questions even if they have had symptoms or are currently ill. They'll just justify it by saying "It was the burrito I had last night." or "It's just allergies".

The form is a basic waste of time.

Bring your own pen and fill it out.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 25th, 2011, 10:26 AM
First Mate

The form is a waste of time, how many people will tell the truth and not be permitted to go on the cruise because they are sick ? It must make someone in the cruise office happy everybody signed the form. Sick or not.
Old June 25th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Admiral

No, if they've shown up they are going to lie and say they are fine.
Old June 25th, 2011, 12:33 PM
First Mate

Perhaps it is a way for CCL to avoid any legal issues about any sickness on the ships. They will have proof that you said you were well and healthy when you boarded and if it becomes obvious that you were not they have a basis to take some action. And again it may be a requirement of some regulatory office. Anyway we always have our own pens when we travel. Just my 2 cents worth

Need some cruise help?
Old June 25th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Admiral

I think that is right...if there is a problem they have "Proof" that the victim was ok when they boarded!
Old June 25th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chief View Post
Perhaps it is a way for CCL to avoid any legal issues about any sickness on the ships. They will have proof that you said you were well and healthy when you boarded and if it becomes obvious that you were not they have a basis to take some action. And again it may be a requirement of some regulatory office. Anyway we always have our own pens when we travel. Just my 2 cents worth
I think you are on to something there about the legal thing. I'll be remembering to take my own pen from now on.
Old June 25th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
It basically defeats the entire purpose of the form to be able print it and fill it out before you board. People could just fill it out a month or weeks before their cruise and then hand it in when they board.

Now for the reality of the form. Almost anyone will answer "No" to all the questions even if they have had symptoms or are currently ill. They'll just justify it by saying "It was the burrito I had last night." or "It's just allergies".

The form is a basic waste of time.

Bring your own pen and fill it out.

Take care,
Mike
I agree. My thinking was I could by pass the bottle neck of people waiting to fill it out in the terminal if I had it to fill out prior to entering the terminal. I am also sure if it was available some people would post-date their signature on the form if it was available to pre-print. I'll be bringing my own pen and grabbing some extra forms next time.
Old June 25th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Admiral

Bring your own pen.

Once I saw someone actually confess and Carnival was dumbfounded as what to do next. They sort of new - contact a doctor or nurse on the ship to perform a further evaluation, but apparently didn't know how to reach them or else they were unreachable. No telling how long those poor folks had to wait while Carnival figure it out.
Old June 26th, 2011, 07:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

How many pax don't fill out (or sign) the form themselves? I fill out the forms for myself & Wife. If she is minding the carryons and not available where I am filling out the forms, I will sign for her.

Maybe eventually they will figure out it is the same as when the airlines checkin person had to ask a bunch of questions regarding your suitcase being with you at all times, etc...... They wised up and dropped asking.

As far as worrying about using a community pen, that is only one of hundreds of incidence of puting your hands on something that everyone is using. You cannot protect yourself all the time and if you are going to be scitzo about it, then you definitely should not be cruising. Don't forget a shot while after using the pen, you will be using the sanitizer when boarding the ship.

O F C'er
Old June 26th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Admiral

We have never noticed a bottleneck due to forms, people who have not filled in their details online ..yes, but we fill in the form at the same time as we are giving our tickets & passports over & Credit card for the onboard account.
Old June 26th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
We have never noticed a bottleneck due to forms, people who have not filled in their details online ..yes, but we fill in the form at the same time as we are giving our tickets & passports over & Credit card for the onboard account.
Some port terminals may be set up differently. In Charleston they have a small table set up and you are directed there to fill it out. It is always backed up. I suppose you could just reach in and grab a form and fill it out at the check-in counter like you say. But they want it filled out before that in Charleston. In most other terminals the VIP's are taken straight to the VIP office to check-in, and you fill it out there. So it could be a problem unique to Charleston.
Old June 26th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
Some port terminals may be set up differently. In Charleston they have a small table set up and you are directed there to fill it out. It is always backed up. I suppose you could just reach in and grab a form and fill it out at the check-in counter like you say. But they want it filled out before that in Charleston. In most other terminals the VIP's are taken straight to the VIP office to check-in, and you fill it out there. So it could be a problem unique to Charleston.
Probably, as we either cruise out of Southampton UK or fly cruise Caribbean, both options have lots of check in points.
Old June 26th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Admiral

On our most recent cruise's we've been handed the form before check-in. There's been a tall table with "baby" pencils to fill out the forms.

I agree with O F C'er, if you're worried about touching a pen or pencil, you should carry anti-bacterial wipes with you everywhere you go! You'll be touching a lot more than a pen while onboard !

The only time I've seen someone detained at embarkation for being ill, was when a cruise employee was in the terminal restroom at the time a passenger was sick to her stomach. A nurse from the ship was called to the area. I don't know how that ended, but I was glad it wasn't me.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Old July 5th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Smile

the form is a carnival cya...i am okay with it...and too busy getting into my vacation than to worry about germs on the pencils