Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 26th, 2011, 09:59 PM
First Mate

Question Accomodations HALP! First cruise with our young kids

So we are finally going to attempt taking a cruise with the kiddos sometime early 2013 (Feb or April). They will be about 2.5 and 4.5yo. DH and I have only cruised with Carnival so far so feel comfortable going with what we know but well when we went "back then" lets just say we grabbed the cheapest interior room possible because we didn't plan to stay IN the room anyway much .

This time it feels overwhelming to pick our accommodations. Do we shove all 4 of us into one room? I imagine the 2.5yo won't really need a crib by then so I guess that might help finding a place for him to sleep?

Do we get adjoining rooms to get that extra space (and bathroom!)? If so, can we get adjoining balcony rooms? DH and I lurve our balconies And can we book something like that online (I'm not seeing an option to choose that?) or do we need to go to a TA?

Lastly, does Carnival have a family suite that isn't just a larger stateroom but actually has more living "spaces"? If so, which ship?

If you've traveled with young ones I'd LOVE to hear your experience on Carnival! Which ship did you take, how was it? And suggestions from one brave soul to another? TIA!!!
Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Captain

Dream, Magic and Breeze have a cabin for 5 that has three lowers and two uppers that might work out? You might consider the deluxe OV? It will have a bath tub, usually only found in suites and a shower with the split bath. Might come in handy with a little one. That way you would have a extra lower bed for the youngest too. (yes, I know you have only 4, but the way its set up might work).

At that age, you really cannot book the kids in a cabin by themselves, you would have to book a adult in each cabin, unless you find someone who doesnt know the rules (happens). this is Carnival's booking policy they have in writing.

Quote:
Passenger Age
Policy Details
18- 20 years of age
Can book a cabin anywhere on the ship as long as the parents, grandparents or legal guardians are on same sailing. Everyone in that minor age cabin needs to be 18-20 years of age.
13 – 17 years of age
Can have their own cabin as long as it is located within 3 staterooms (this is the maximum number of staterooms allowed) from their parents, grandparents or legal guardian.
12 years and under
Must be booked in parents’ cabin, no exceptions
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carnival_Dream_Family_Quint_3018.jpg (65.6 KB, 3 views)
Old June 26th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
At that age, you really cannot book the kids in a cabin by themselves, you would have to book a adult in each cabin, unless you find someone who doesnt know the rules (happens). this is Carnival's booking policy they have in writing.
You certainly can book adjoining rooms, if it fits your budget. Many families do it.

I wouldn't suggest trying to book any of it by yourself online (whether that of a TA or the cruise line). Call and discuss your options with a trained cruise professional... would be my recommendation. I can't see going wrong with expertise and advice that doesn't cost you a penny.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old June 26th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Captain

You could also book connecting cabins .. it would not matter who slept where.

Also, spirit class has a balcony attached to a inside. Only class that has this set up, so you would have to book really early.
Old June 27th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I know you are cruising with the kids a long way off, but a great time to start to figure out what ship and itinary and then contact a good travel agent to insure you can get connecting cabins or a large family suite. The family suites do fill quickly because there are not that many. Hopefully you will find the right fit for you and your family, let us know what you can find....

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 27th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
I know you are cruising with the kids a long way off, but a great time to start to figure out what ship and itinary and then contact a good travel agent to insure you can get connecting cabins or a large family suite. The family suites do fill quickly because there are not that many. Hopefully you will find the right fit for you and your family, let us know what you can find....
Are you a TA by chance?? Or you just like yours? I do see that advice on this board quite a bit and was curious.

I have a great PVP who I would stack up beside any TA who knows Carnival like the back of her hand. Most TAs dont know Carnival very well and at best book it somewhat reluctantly that I have used. In fact I have TA friends who email me to find out nitty gritty Carnival stuff, like which ships allow 5 to the cabin or whatever they need to know to answer a client. .. they dont know Carnival the way a good PVP knows Carnival.

Iv also had some issues that had I not had a PVP who worked for Carnival, who puts copious notes on my booking internally, we would have lost some of these things.

Both PVPs and TAs can be great, if you have the right one.
Old June 27th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I still think a good t/a is the way to go. You can always contact them with issues that need to be fixed or questions. Also, sometimes travel agents will have group space on some ships and you can book along with that and get some extra things that a PVP can't do. My next cruise, I was able to get an additional $100 ship board credit through the travel agent, those come in handy for sure...

I think if you are happy with who you are booking with, go for it. Nope, I am not a travel agent, but have a friend who is, she has been on top of my booking since the first contact and gives me updates as they arrive, just nice to be able to contact her at any time.

Message Boards Moderator