Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 26th, 2011, 11:57 PM
First Mate

Default Is the deposit always $250pp?

We are looking to book a cruise for April 2013 and had hoped we'd be able to put down a smaller deposit and then save up over time to pay it off when it's due. I thought I heard it can be as low as $50pp - or is that for large groups? Any idea how I can book our cruise with the lower deposit amount? Now that we are paying for our 1 and 3yo (will be just about 3 and 5 at time of cruise, fwiw), a 1k deposit is a lot to swallow for a cruise we won't be taking for almost 2years lol.

Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2011, 12:36 AM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

Sometimes on NCL, Celebrity and RCI, a reduced deposit is offered, but not often. Can't recall when I have seen it offered on CCL.

Sometimes a reduced deposit is available for a "Group" booking, but again, not always and usually must be a large group.

Traditionally, a 7 night cruise will require a $250.00 p/p deposit with most cruiselines.

This far out, perhaps you could "try" to book a stateroom that can accommodate 4 guests, but only book with 2 passengers to start with to ease the deposit and then add the 3d and 4th passenger to the booking at a later date when the finances are atad better. But many cruiselines will not allow 2 passengers to book in a stateroom that is designed to accommodate 4 guests, especially if during a peak season of cruising or holidays.

If you are able to do the suggested scenario of booking 2 pax in a quad stateroom and then add the other passengers later, you risk the chance of that 3d and 4th passenger rate going up and or the ship having already exceeded 3d and/or 4th passenger restrictions (again depends on when you add those other pax).

Good luck !

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old June 27th, 2011, 06:31 AM
Admiral

P&O UK which is part of Carnival charge 15% & you don't get it back if you cancel either!!
Old June 27th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Keep an eye out for specials. There is quite often special promotions and group cruises that will have a lower deposit.

$250 pp is the standard deposit amount. One nice thing about that is that it will be that much less to pay when final payment is due.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 27th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Admiral

Just booked "Breeze" for Oct/Nov or 2012, back to back, and because they are longer cruises, (Med cruise is 12 day, and the Trans Atlantic is 15) the deposit was $500 per person, each cruise! OUCH!

"SKY"
Old June 27th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Captain

Deposits also depend on the length of the cruise. FAQs has them all, but the easy ones are

$150 pp 4 days
$200 pp 5 days
$250 7 day

I think $300 for a 8 day

If you are only seeing $250 pp deposits, you must be only looking at 7 day cruises?

as mentioned above there are some that are larger, like alaska I believe might be more.
Old June 27th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

That's pretty much standard.

If the deposit was less people would be booking all the better cabins just on a chance they may sail, then dropping them. Or booking all four weeks of July then deciding when they would go closer to final payment date. It would be a nightmare for bookings and planning.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 04:54 PM
Familiar Face

I've only paid a deposit once, and I ended cancelling the cruise altogether. I always pay the amount in full. It works best for me since I don't have the balance hanging over my head. I pay it and anticipate having a good time without worrying about the balance. I usually tend to pre pay for the gratuities. When we're checking in, I don't have to worry about the tips because it has already been taken care of.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 05:21 PM
Captain

Carnival has a early saver fare, which has a nonrefundable deposit. If you cancel before final payment, they hold the rest of the deposit, minus a $50 pp fee toward a future cruise.

I think thats why Carnival doesnt do WOW sales like RCL where the deposit is half the normal deposit.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 06:18 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereida View Post
I've only paid a deposit once, and I ended cancelling the cruise altogether. I always pay the amount in full. It works best for me since I don't have the balance hanging over my head. I pay it and anticipate having a good time without worrying about the balance. I usually tend to pre pay for the gratuities. When we're checking in, I don't have to worry about the tips because it has already been taken care of.
I say why pay anything before you have to, better in your pocket than theirs.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 06:28 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
I say why pay anything before you have to, better in your pocket than theirs.
and some folks just like to get it out of the way and not worry about it....or maybe they are afraid that if they put the money aside, they will use it for something else...some folks have a harder time managing funds than others in some cases + the minimal interest you would gain by waiting till the last minute to pay..... well to each his/her own I guess

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old July 7th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Familiar Face

We have found (CCL) that if we book a cruise 5 days or less, then the deposit is $200 or less PP, if its over the 5 days its $250 PP.

We have a 5 day in Oct, $200 PP
We have a 2 day in Dec, $100 PP
We have a 7 day in Sep 2012, $250 PP

~ Future Cruises ~
~ None ~

~ Past Cruises ~
RCI - Vision of the Seas - 2003
RCI - Monarch of the Seas - 2004
NCL - Norwegian Sun - 2006
CCL - Paradise - 2007
CCL - Splendor - 2010
CCL - Spirit - 2011