Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 5th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Carnival Last Minute Itinerary Change

My family was booked on a Carnival Cruise visiting 4 ports in the Western Caribbean including Belize, Cozumel, Isla Roatan and Costa Maya, departing on the 9th. We just received a notice this evening that due to propulsion issues the itinerary has changed and we are now visiting 3 ports in the Eastern Carib. including the Bahamas, St. Maarten and St. Thomas. For our inconvenience we are getting a measly $100 per person onboard credit. I recognize that St. Maarten and St. Thomas are beautiful but this is a family cruise and I dont think there is any comparison between snorkeling in Belize and visiting the Mayan ruins from Cozumel to shopping in St. Thomas and and experiencing the food of St. Maarten which is what was featured in the notice that came to us. I feel this is a poor offer of compensation for what is likely to be a very different experience for my kids. Does anyone have ideas for excursions in these ports?
Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

This is very subjective..I would be thrilled...You can take the ferry to St John for some of the very best snorkeling in the Caribbean. You can also do the America's Cup Race in St Maarten, for the thrill of a lifetime..do some research and you may be pleasantly surprised,and I hope you all have a fabulous cruise.

I will say it's quite unusual for a complete itinerary change, from western to eastern, unless it's hurricane season.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 5th, 2011, 11:37 PM
First Mate

We've always loved the Eastern Caribbean over the western side and would be excited about this change. This happened to us once during hurricane season were the reverse happened. We booked eastern and got western due to a storm and no any onboard credit. That's a big plus!

Can't you see if Carnival will let you cancel this cruise and book another ship at a different port?

Carnival Tropical 2000
Carnival Pride 2002
Carnival Glory 2003
Carnival Miracle 2004
Carnival Victory 2004
Sun Princess 2005
Carnival Legend 2006
Carnival Glory 2008
Carnival Liberty 2008
Carnival Freedom 2009
Carnival Dream 2011
Carnival Conquest 2012
Carnival Liberty - Sept 2013
Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas- Sept 2014
Carnival Sensation - November 2014

Old July 5th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Admiral

Since they are leaving on the 9th, this would not be an option.

Old July 5th, 2011, 11:52 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thanks Trip for the suggestions. America's Cup looks great but have a 6 year old and they discourage sailors that young. Looking at snorkeling in St. Johns.
Old July 5th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Admiral

Aw, drat....there is a butterfly farm there that might be fun!

Old July 5th, 2011, 11:56 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I would likely feel different if it was just my husband and me. With kids the Western has more experiential appeal.
Old July 6th, 2011, 12:10 AM
Admiral

Default After your cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelsbury View Post
My family was booked on a Carnival Cruise visiting 4 ports in the Western Caribbean including Belize, Cozumel, Isla Roatan and Costa Maya, departing on the 9th. We just received a notice this evening that due to propulsion issues the itinerary has changed and we are now visiting 3 ports in the Eastern Carib. including the Bahamas, St. Maarten and St. Thomas. For our inconvenience we are getting a measly $100 per person onboard credit. I recognize that St. Maarten and St. Thomas are beautiful but this is a family cruise and I dont think there is any comparison between snorkeling in Belize and visiting the Mayan ruins from Cozumel to shopping in St. Thomas and and experiencing the food of St. Maarten which is what was featured in the notice that came to us. I feel this is a poor offer of compensation for what is likely to be a very different experience for my kids. Does anyone have ideas for excursions in these ports?
After your cruise I would write a letter to the CEO of Carnival requesting a greater renumeration .
Old July 6th, 2011, 05:23 AM
Admiral

You and your entire ship of people got the better deal along with $100 to spend. Eastern Caribbean cruises are more expensive, so you get an Eastern for a Western price. Your child would likely view the Mayan ruins in a different way than you, it likely would be a neat pile of rocks, I doubt any 6 year old understands the history of it.
I understand disappointment, my ship missed Roatan, the port I wanted most. I was compensated $9.
Old July 6th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Admiral

I know it is disappointing to not take the exact cruise you booked. Many of us spend a lot of time trying to come up with the "right" itinerary at the right time for our vacations. However, all cruise lines reserve the right to change the itinerary. It is in your cruise contract. At least you were notified ahead of time and have an opportunity to refocus your plans.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old July 6th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I thought you did have an option for re-booking when they do this i.e.--announce itinerary change prior to debarkation. That's why they don't announce most late changes until debarkation day.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old July 6th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Admiral

Henry, that would be a waste of anyones time. This is a case of taking lemons & making lemonade for everyone on the cruise, because there is nothing anyone can do. I do understand that missing a port is disappointing, it happened to me on my very first cruise, missing the one port I booked that cruise for, but, a complete change of itinerary is even more so.

I am sure the ship will be filled with many disappointed people, for various reasons, but, an informed cruiser, knows a change of itinerary is always a possibility and will have a great cruise in spite of it all, as iI am sure our OP will. Any letter of a better renumeration, will end up with a sorry letter. I do think the $100.00 pp is a fair amount.

Last edited by Trip; July 6th, 2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old July 6th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Yes, I agree about the $100 OBC. That's generous considering what has been done on the past.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old July 6th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman View Post
Yes, I agree about the $100 OBC. That's generous considering what has been done on the past.
$100.00 OBC per person? Doesn't seem like such a bad deal, especially if you use to pay for a couple of excursions. For that, I'd definitely do as Trip suggested and take the ferry to St. John for some great snorkeling.
Old July 6th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Familiar Face

What ship is this?
Old July 7th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman View Post
I thought you did have an option for re-booking when they do this i.e.--announce itinerary change prior to debarkation. That's why they don't announce most late changes until debarkation day.
OP leaves Saturday - not really enough time to rebook.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old July 7th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Familiar Face

I'd be pretty happy with that!

~ Future Cruises ~
~ None ~

~ Past Cruises ~
RCI - Vision of the Seas - 2003
RCI - Monarch of the Seas - 2004
NCL - Norwegian Sun - 2006
CCL - Paradise - 2007
CCL - Splendor - 2010
CCL - Spirit - 2011
CCL - Inspiration - 2011
Old July 7th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Much better than what we got last August. Instead of going to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Freeport we got to go to Nassau and PORT CANVERAL! We got $7.43 per person. That was it. We still had fun, but we were looking forward to going to some new places - the sole reason we booked the ship we did.
Old July 7th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
What ship is this?
Sounds like the Carnival Dream....The same one I will be sailing on the 16th! The very next sailing after the changed one! Propulsion problem?? What do they mean?
Old July 7th, 2011, 11:51 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Just found more on the issue...the problem is not with the forward propulsion of the ship, it is with the stern thrusters (side propellers on the aft that help the ship move sideways). The ship cannot dock in ports where tug boats are not available (i.e. western caribbean ports)