Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 12th, 2011, 08:56 AM
First Mate

Default Carnival Questions

Morning everyone,

We are going on our first Carnival cruise in September and I have a few questions in regard to some of the Carnival "ways" compared to RCL.

I have read that Carnival tells you NOT to lock your luggage, and that when you hand it over to the porters at the pier it should be unlocked??

Also, that it is NOT necessary to bring a suit for "elegant night" and that casual pants and button down shirts are fine??? Oh MY........we are used to dressing up and I am planning on it......I mean I don't have a tiara or anything that formal, but hubby wears a nice suit and I wear my "fancies"...and on a 7 night do they have 1 or 2 elegant nights?

I am such a "newbie", when I went to my "Funpass" part of my Manage My Cruise, after I had filled out all the info, I thought what I printed out would say Funpass somewhere, but it said Boarding Pass.....I had no idea they were the same thing.......guess I'll catch onto this new "Carnival" way of things eventually

I also found out they don't do the tipping like RCL, no envelopes in your cabin for tips on the last day of the cruise. Is there anything I haven't found out yet that I should know before we board?
If anyone has any helpful hints, I'd really appreciate it......MORE than you know!

Thanks everyone for your help!
Gail
Comet Cruiser

Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Captain

I would not worry about the dress code as I see very little difference. Im on Oasis next, which I hear might be more dressy. RCL now also allows shorts at dininer in the MDR, no difference. I had people on my last RCL cruise in long pants and a shirt they bought in the port and braided hair on the women, hardly what I would call formal. Wear your formal if you want. Some will be dressed up, some not so much, just like on RCL.

Lock or unlock your suitcase, its just a suggestion. No difference again.

Carnival will automatically charge you the $10 pp per day tips. RCL supposedly doesnt unless you sign the form. My cruise roomie signed the form to pay my tips, and they charged me based on her signature??? RCL doesnt know what they are doing, they should just make it automatic. Envelopes to me are just a annoyance to tear up paper vouchers and stick in the envelopes on RCL. On Carnival if you remove the tips your name goes on a list, so those who wait on you will know it. Just pay them. If you want envelopes you can get extras at the pursers desk.

yes, now on Carnival, its been changed to be called Boarding Pass.
Old July 12th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Carnival's Elegant nights are more casual. You can dress up if you please, but more casual shirts and slacks for men is acceptable.

I wouldn't worry about leaving luggage unlocked. If you've packed something you shouldn't in your checked bag they'll hold the bag rather than deliver it.

Carnival does a good job, and you'll enjoy the cruise. I personally find Carnival's food better than RCI. The service will possibly be a bit more relaxed than you've experienced on RCI.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old July 12th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Personally I don't think there are any "jarring" differences between the experiences, with the possible exception of the dress code. You will be doing what you feel is comfortable for you,and vice versa. We had a wonderful time on the Magic, with excellent food and service. We were well taken care of in every aspect, and I think once you get into the flow of the cruise, you will really enjoy yourselves.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; July 13th, 2011 at 08:47 AM.
Old July 13th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Admiral

Yep to all of the above. Go ahead and print your "boarding pass". It is the same as the "fun pass" and will make embarkation much easier. You can also print your luggage tags, if you wish. They are flimsy, of course, if printed on regular paper. You need to laminate 'em and punch a hole in them, or staple the tags to your luggage. Lots of folks think it's much easier to just ask the porter who takes your "checked luggage" for a tag when you get to the port. They have a list of passengers, and the correct cabin number, and can put a tag on each bag when you check them.
Have a GREAT Carnival cruise!

"SKY"