Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 13th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Familiar Face

Default Are All Caribbean Islands The Same?

I'm counting down til my Southern Caribbean cruise from San Juan. We'll be visiting 5 islands. My question is, are all the islands the same? I'm not talking about the people, which side of the street people drive in or what language is spoken. I'm talking about the flora and fauna.

Being from Puerto Rico and living there I pretty much have seen what a "Caribbean" island looks like, but I really have nothing to compare it with. When I visit the other islands, will I feel as if I were walking down the street at home? Will I encounter the same food and drinks?

I'm just curious to get any feedback.

Islands visiting:
Virgin Islands
Barbados
St. Lucia
St. Kitt
St. Martin
Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

That's a very interesting question, as you are looking at visiting your neighbors, from a totally different perspective then most of us. You live in a place that has many of the beautiful things these islands have.

Barbardos has miless and miles of sugar cane fields,as we saw when we went on the fabulous tour of Harrisons Caves. www.harrisonscaves.com.

We loved the tram ride though the most amazing visuals, mother nature has to offer. Well worth visiting.

St Maarten, we love..visiting 2 cultures for the price of one As you leave on the tour buses on the Dutch side, you pass the salt pools...I have never seen these on any other island we have visited.

You mentioned Virgin Islands, St Thomas?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 13th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Cruise Maniac

I am no expert, but from my experience the islands vary only to the degree that man has impacted them.... the 'look and feel' of native plants and animals at least appear similar to me. With more money, comes an attempt by men to reshape/improve their landscapes or raise money crops.

Take Hawaii as an example. Men spent a lot of time and money introducing beautiful flowering plants and trees which are not native to the islands, but make for a scenic tourist environment. Less touristy islands appear more native, and are affected more by non-native agriculture/ sugar cane/ pineapple/ coffee....
Old July 13th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Admiral

IMHO each island has its own identity .

Many years ago ,a cousin of mine who was a musician in a well known orchestra married a woman native to PR .He gave up his livelihood to spend the remainder of his years in Santurce .I personally love Puerto Rico .
Old July 13th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Familiar Face

I will be visiting St. Thomas.
Old July 13th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Admiral

Well I think to the seaoned traveller who has stayed on different islands as opposed to a few hours visit from a ship, then yes the islands are all different, but to someone from a ship as a first time visit....basically they are the same.
Old July 13th, 2011, 12:49 PM
First Mate

The islands may have there own identity, but these islands are very similar. Same thing when we did the hawaiian Islands, they all were similar. The shirt you can buy at these islands tells it all, same sh-- different island. How true. Alike though not identical. St martin is way above the rest.

Islands visiting:alike though not identical.
Virgin Islands
Barbados
St. Lucia
St. Kitt
St. Martin

Last edited by Dutchman; July 13th, 2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old July 13th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Admiral

Tis a matter of opinion
Old July 13th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The islands can be similar in their flora and fauna but they are different in their landscape and makeup. Islands like Aruba have large desert areas and also lush tropical areas.

The biggest difference you will see is in their heritage. You will see English, Spanish and Dutch heritage on the different islands.

However you have to get the heck away from the port area to truly appreciate it. Otherwise it's Diamonds International and other chain stores selling to the tourists.

Grab a cab tour of the islands and see some of the different areas and eat at restaurants or little out of the way places to really appreciate the island.

You know that "Old San Juan" does not represent the true Puerto Rico. It is the same with the other islands.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me