CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Guaranteed Room (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/383783-guaranteed-room.html)

jackieb July 18th, 2011 02:23 PM

Guaranteed Room

How long does it usually take after final payment is made for you to find out where your room is? Final payment was made last week and still nothing assigned.

fourxbusymom July 18th, 2011 02:28 PM

Four our Hawaiian cruise on Carnival (repositioning) we didn't find out our cabin until we actually checked in at the pier! That was fine when we learned we got an extended balcony!_

jackieb July 18th, 2011 03:08 PM

That would be wonderful to have a extended balcony but I'm not going to hold my breath.

flowers July 18th, 2011 03:19 PM

There is no set time when Carnival will assign your cabin. I booked 8 days out and 4 days out got my assignment. Iv even gotten them before final payment. Iv always had my assignment before I boarded.

Donna July 18th, 2011 06:15 PM

It could be quick or take awhile. Keep checking your personal information on the Carnival site, when you have an assignment, it will show up there. Hope you get a nice location, keep us posted...

jackieb July 19th, 2011 10:38 AM

Do you think the longer it takes to assign us a room the better room we will have?

Mike M July 19th, 2011 11:03 AM

Your cabin can be assigned anywhere from one minute after you book until you check in at the pier.

The old thought was that the longer it was before you knew your cabin assignment the better the chances of getting a GOOD upgrade were better. I believed that for awhile because we were upgraded to a Sky Suite on Celebrity two weeks before sailing. We had booked a standard balcony on Mercury.

However, I've heard from many people that they got to the pier only to be assigned a cabin in the category they booked. :(

So, you have to go with the standard wisdom. Book a guarantee in the category you will be happy with and if you aren't upgraded then there is no disappointment and if you are upgraded then it's just icing on the cake.

Take care,
Mike

jackieb July 19th, 2011 11:22 AM

We did book a balcony room which is what we wanted so we will be happy no matter which room we get, but it sure would be nice to get alittle more:). We've always gave our luggage to the porters before checking in, if we don't know our room number what would we do?

Mike M July 19th, 2011 12:20 PM

The porters have a manifest with everyone's cabin number on it. They will give you luggage tags and you will write your information, including cabin number, on them and attach them to your luggage. You will actually know your cabin number at that time. Unless you've memorized the deck plans you probably won't know what category it is and neither will the porters. You will have to wait until you check-in to find out if it's really an upgrade.

Take care,
Mike

Nereida July 20th, 2011 09:11 AM

I would hate to book a guarantee balcony only to find out at check in that it actually has an obstructed view. I would hate to book a guarantee ocean view only to get an obstructed view.

I booked a guarantee ocean view once, and I hated the location of the cabin we got. I didn't get my assignment until I checked in. Our cabin was almost to the front of the ship. I hated it!

Donna July 20th, 2011 10:31 AM

Yes, there is some risk when booking a guarantee catagory, but I didn't think you could get an obstructed view, unless you booked one....Those are always listed as being an obstructed, it would just be the location that you would not know of. So far, I've been lucky and received good locations and nice views. Its just a gamble when booking this way and it saves a few dollars too, but if you are set on a certain location, then booking a specific cabin is the way to go.

flowers July 20th, 2011 05:32 PM

Only Spirit Class ships have obstructed balconys, so if you book any other ships you know what you would get would be what carnival considers unobstructed.

Fern July 20th, 2011 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nereida (Post 1382392)
I would hate to book a guarantee balcony only to find out at check in that it actually has an obstructed view. I would hate to book a guarantee ocean view only to get an obstructed view.

I booked a guarantee ocean view once, and I hated the location of the cabin we got. I didn't get my assignment until I checked in. Our cabin was almost to the front of the ship. I hated it!

Hi Nereida, unless things have changed, you wouldn't end up in an obstructed view cabin if you booked a guaranteed OV. They're sorted by type (OV, OVO, etc.).

I think you would be happier booking the cabin you want. We like being in the aft area of the ship, not forward. I haven't found that the "guarantee" cabin's are that much less expensive and we like knowing where our cabin will be before we cruise :).

JMHO,

Nereida July 21st, 2011 08:08 AM

I agree, Fern

That's why I've never booked a guaranteed cabin again. I like to know exactly what cabin I have. I've also noticed that in some instances the guaranteed cabin isn't that much cheaper than booking the cabin of your choice.

jackieb July 21st, 2011 11:03 AM

I like the excitement of not knowing. It's a suprise :D. I'm just anxious about it and have always known after they took out final payment.

big apple July 21st, 2011 12:45 PM

We always take guarantee as in most cases this gives you a better chance on an upgrade and you will never get a room that is less than you paid for.This category does not mean you are paying less for the room but does give you at least a chance on an upgrade depending many times on how full the ship is. Our last cruise on another line gave us an upgrade of 14 categories from obstructed balcony to a aft balcony suite whith the balcony almost twice as large.Many cruisers want a certain location on a particular ship and this may not work for them.