Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 23rd, 2011, 03:11 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Carnival Glory Fall 2011 New England Canada Cruise

Shore Excursions... any advice for Boston, Portland, St. John & Halifax...
Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Carnival GLory to Saint John & Halifax

We just returned from a 5 day cruise to Saint John & Halifax. The excursions were informative and fun. The weather was a bit of a hindrance (rain and fog), but that's to be expected during mid August in that part of Canada. We toured Fundy Bay in St. John and got a great view of the whirlpools. We also toured Halifax and visited the public garden (beautiful Victorian gardens) and the cemetery where many of the Titanic victims were buried (very emotional).

We sailed on the Glory. The ship is very large with lots of different events and activities daily. We enjoyed the Karaoke and nightly "Broadway" like shows.

The food in the restaurants is wonderful with very attentive staff (ask for Elmer to serve you). However, the casual dining is average: mostly hot dogs, hamburgers, french fries, pizza, ice cream and desserts (cookies and cakes) although you can have it anytime of day or night you want. Want a burger at midnight? Go get it.

Couple of issues to consider. The basic dining package includes only water, tea, lemonade and orange juice. If you want soda (pop), you have to buy an additional soda package at $35.00 PER PERSON for the 5 day trip. That was an additional $105.00 for my family for soda.

Unfortunately after you buy the package, getting someone to serve it is extremely hard. They prefer that you get your own at the bars located on each end of the ship. Then will only serve you the soda in a glass filled with ice (unless you specifically ask them for no ice).

The other issue has to do with children on the cruise. They are EVERYWHERE! They LOVE to play in the elevators and yell in the restaurants. Especially after midnight, when they are allowed to "cruise" until 3AM in the morning.

Overall, the cruise was fun and relaxing, but keep those issues in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJock View Post
Shore Excursions... any advice for Boston, Portland, St. John & Halifax...
Old August 13th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

In Boston, you could enjoy any of these great excursions.

Quincy Market...aka Fanueil Hall
Freedom Trail
Duck Tours
Concord & Lexington
SS Constitiution
Aquarium

Dress in layers,and expect Boston foliage to peak, usually mid October.

Need any more info, give me a shout out.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; August 14th, 2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old August 14th, 2011, 12:18 PM
First Mate

I'm booked to sail June of 2012 on the Glory and I can't wait. Bay of Fundy Tide is on my bucket list. I want to book the bus tour that takes you out to those huge rocks (forget the name of them).

I live in Boston and I'm so happy not to have to buy air for this cruise

As Trip posted, there are a lot of fun things to do in and around Boston. The North End has great Italian food and some of the finest bakeries around. China Town is close by and easy to get to if you like authentic Chinese food. Boston's inner islands are also close to town and fun. Salem is a few miles north of Boston and accessable by public transportation from downtown boston. If you have enough time Salem has some great history.
CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013