CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   How to go about this complaint? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/383982-how-go-about-complaint.html)

shannyn92 July 29th, 2011 07:26 PM

How to go about this complaint?

Hey all!
Just found this website through Google, and it seems like a really great way to learn all about cruises!

I originally found the website when searching for an article on making a cruise complaint. Here is my story:

Now, I love Carnival. I have been on about 4 or 5 of their cruises, and I've never had a bad time. This past week, however, my family (a lot of them from out of state) flew into Florida so we could all go on a cruise to Cozumel, Mexico, because I had raved about how much fun I had the last time I went with my friends. We were all excited to go and do our shore excursions and explore Mexico. Then, the night before we get there, our ship captain literally sails us DIRECTLY into a tropical storm. I have never felt a boat rock so violently, and even the crew members I spoke to said that they had never experienced it so badly. We were sailing through 65+ mph winds!! I was so scared that I was seriously considering phoning my daughter back home and saying I love her, just in case! This went on for HOURS, mind you, and in the morning they informed us that we couldn't go into Mexico because of the tropical storm, and that we now had to go to the Bahamas. Of course, we were disappointed, but I understand weather conditions sometimes happen and prevent these things. My whole issue is that I know for a fact these ship captains have radars and check the weather reports. If he saw we were headed right into a tropical storm, couldn't he have turned around right then?! We literally went RIGHT into this storm! Even if he didn't realize it was so bad, we should have started to turn around immediately! It made my whole family sick for the next few days because of motion sickness, and honestly kind of ruined our trip. My issue is that the captain should have been monitoring the weather properly and prevented us from going into the eye of the storm in the first place!!

I am just confused on how to go about emailing/writing Carnival about this. I would like to get some sort of compensation in return, because I would really love to take another cruise and actually have a great time!

Thank you in advance!

lulu48 July 29th, 2011 07:55 PM

Did you use a TA?
State the facts as you see them & get your TA to send them to Carnival

do not expect anything for compensation
You paid for a cruise & that is what you got

flowers July 29th, 2011 08:00 PM

I would write to them in Miami. If you add a VP name at the address, pick one of the top guys, it might get more attention.

I can tell you what you experienced is not so rare. Last Sept we sailed right into Tropical Storm Nicole and the captain tried and tried to dock, but could not make any head way into this storm.

The reason they were so determined to dock, was our entertainers were there waiting to be picked up. This storm was so bad the day in port would have been ruined, with tropical downpours and mud slides.

Because of sailing right into the storm .. now we had to sail back thru the storm to get home .. or our next port, which was the Caymans which we also missed.

The contract says if you miss a port you will get the TAXES on the port fees back is all (nothing close to the port charges). You had to agree to this to print out your boarding pass.

Did Carnival substitute a port for you or just you missed a port? I notice you mentioned going to another port, in which case you are owed nothing per the contract.

I can see why you would be dissapointed. I suspect this happens more than people know. I too was told that the ships never sail into a storm .. so what did we do .. sailed right into the storm. We had some kind of the front end of the ship going up up up and then dropping for about 24 hours.. so some people got sick on our cruise as well.

I was also on Conquest when Ike wiped out Galveston and we were dropped off in a completely different city than we left from .. now that was a big problem .. missing a port, not so much.

I do get that you feel the actions of the captain caused some of your friends to be seasick and I am sorry they had that happen. .. how much compensation are you seeking? Maybe some here can tell you if that is even something that might happen if you write?

shannyn92 July 29th, 2011 08:14 PM

I didn't use a travel agent, and I understand that this is what I paid for and what I got.

I'm not seeking like a free cruise or anything, but our captain addressed the ship before we even got into the storm and said we might be experiencing a little bit of rocky weather. A little bit of rocky weather? That was an understatement. If he was correctly reading the radar, he surely could have seen this was not just a little rocky weather. I am just seeking some sort of apology and maybe a credit towards a future cruise. I don't expect it to be a whole lot, but something is better than nothing.

flowers July 29th, 2011 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lulu48 (Post 1384045)
Did you use a TA?
State the facts as you see them & get your TA to send them to Carnival

do not expect anything for compensation
You paid for a cruise & that is what you got

I booked thru a TA the Ike cruise, and had many many complaints how they handled communication or the lack thereof. The letter we got back thru my TA was complete nonsense, didnt address the problems, sentences that didnt even make sense, just rubbish. .. but I think they did offer 10% off a future cruise.

The only thing we were offered during the cruise is a 2 hour wait for a free phone call to try and find a way to get home from New Orleans, a city I had never been to, and I was responsible for two seniors who were not capable of helping and getting them home.

I thought they should have offered more than one free phone call so we did contact Carnival .. its up to the OP, but I agree, not to expect much, since the OP doesnt even know why they were so intent and getting to that port .. might have been a reason he didnt know.

OP I would sit down and think about it and find a way to capulize the problems as simply as possible. Whomever is reading it at Carnival is probably just trying to grasp it in a few seconds and respond. Try and be clear .. sounds like your gripe is you feel the Captain caused pax to be seasick? well keep to that, not all around it. They dont care about your personal story.

green_rd July 29th, 2011 08:24 PM

I am so sorry you had such a rough time. I am sure the captain did not put the passengers, crew and ship into unnecessary danger. Carnival and all other cruise lines take passenger safety very seriously and at the same time try to meet as much of the scheduled itinerary as possible.

If you feel the need to vent go ahead and write the letter (I have also let Carnival and other vendors know when I am dissatisfied) but I don't believe you will get much of a different response than I have written here.

flowers July 29th, 2011 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shannyn92 (Post 1384052)
I am just seeking some sort of apology and maybe a credit towards a future cruise. I don't expect it to be a whole lot, but something is better than nothing.

An apology will never happen, they are taught not to take responsibility, I believe for legal reasons.

I asked what sort of credit are you hoping for? 5% .. 10% .. more?

I think you might get something with a well written letter. Its possible. Write for what is possible not what is impossible (a apology). focus and decide what it is you want and be more clear why you think you deserve it.

Dhill July 30th, 2011 09:14 AM

There are two sides to every story I would be very interested in hearing the captains side of this story.I really doubt he put the ship and everyone on board plus his carrer in unnecessary danger. Maybe that was the best they could do to avoid the storm.Maybe the storm was not that bad in his mind! You know the old saying one mans snowflake is another mans blizzard.I dont mean no disrespect and you have your opions but I think your being a little picky chalk it up to one of life experences.I feel when you venture out on the Ocean thats a chance you take.Thats another thing does everyone forget that they are heading out to sea on a ship? ships do go up and down. Sometimes you get caught in storms.There are risks taken when you go to sea.And things dont always go 100% the way you think they should all the time. And then the first thing people do is complain and start wanting something for nothing! whats wrong with people let it go what diffrence would a letter saying there sorry make.To me thats the chance you take Heck now you have a story to tell everyone.;)

Trip July 30th, 2011 09:29 AM

It's always disappointing when a cruise goes awry ,and impacts your enjoyment. I would take the stance, while it appeared to you, the Captain sailed directly into the storm, he was actually on the fringes of it, and, even with that, you tossed around pretty good.

The last thing a Captain would do would jeopardize the passengers, crew,and his ship. What you will receive from the company, for sure will not equate,with what you feel you are due, so I would have to agree...chalk it up,as a strory you will tell for years to come.

lulu48 July 30th, 2011 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flowers (Post 1384053)
The only thing we were offered during the cruise is a 2 hour wait for a free phone call to try and find a way to get home from New Orleans, a city I had never been to, and I was responsible for two seniors who were not capable of helping and getting them home.

I think in your case putting into a different port was unavoidable under the circumstances

Yes cruise lines should help passengers with getting home under those conditions

lulu48 July 30th, 2011 10:21 AM

When you go to sea especially during storm season ..expect the unexpected

We sailed in Feb from Grand Cayman to Columbia...with rough seas for 36 hrs
Who knew this could happen in Feb ;)

We sailed from Montreal to Bermuda R/T in Aug one year
Going down was great leaving Bermuda not so great 15 hr of rock & roll.
I missed all my meals that day as well as many others

So you never know what Mother's Nature has in store

Dutchman July 30th, 2011 11:16 AM

This would be interesting to have everybody write to a cruise line because they had rough seas on there cruise, and want something back for it. How many cruises would that be every week. To question a cruise line Capt because you sailed thru bad weather, good luck.

shannyn92 July 30th, 2011 11:47 AM

Thanks for all of your help!

I'd just like to clarify one thing. I don't think the captain saw the storm on the radar and thought it would be "fun" to endanger everyone on the ship. I do not think he would do that on purpose. All I was implying was that maybe he was not paying as close enough attention as to understand how severe of a storm it was, and had he done that, we may have been able to avoid the horrible experience for a little less time or not at all. I was kind of thinking of it as what has happened recently with some pilots not paying attention or falling asleep.

TheDivineMsM July 30th, 2011 12:01 PM

Maybe next time, you can steer the ship.

Dhill July 30th, 2011 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shannyn92 (Post 1384163)
Thanks for all of your help!

I'd just like to clarify one thing. I don't think the captain saw the storm on the radar and thought it would be "fun" to endanger everyone on the ship. I do not think he would do that on purpose. All I was implying was that maybe he was not paying as close enough attention as to understand how severe of a storm it was, and had he done that, we may have been able to avoid the horrible experience for a little less time or not at all. I was kind of thinking of it as what has happened recently with some pilots not paying attention or falling asleep.

We have no idea what was going on the bridge or what deceions were made or why.Maybe the deceisons he made were the best ones we dont know.I just dont understand what you are looking for a free cruise an apology.Last time we flew we hit some rough weather may be should get a free flight.To me its all part of the game you cant expect to go out on the ocean and have 100% smooth sailing everytime.Just like you cant fly and expect a smooth flight every time. :-)

flowers July 30th, 2011 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lulu48 (Post 1384128)
I think in your case putting into a different port was unavoidable under the circumstances

Yes cruise lines should help passengers with getting home under those conditions

I know it was unavoidable. What I objected to was when calling the desk, they were just hanging up (true they were busy), but the people I was with were unable to stand in line for hours. I waited the first time and they didnt have any way to get the phone numbers for rental cars .. I missed everything going on the last night standing in line 3 times it took me past midnight with no results, finally got a outside line about 3 am.. no sleep.

My objection was how it was handled, customer service and lack of being prepared .. of course people are going to need the phone numbers for rental cars and airlines .. but they said, oh no employees are allowed to go online .. no we cant discount online service .. no we cant do this or that.

Quite a few things just went wrong .. and that is why I wrote .. not because the weather was bad. I would never write about that.

.. but what to me was terrible customer service, someone else says, they did the best they could .. it was ok to them.

Thats why I said to the OP write .. see what they say.

btw I have only had that one cruise where I thought they totally screwed up as far as we were concerned .. no other major complaints .. none. (before someone labels me as a complainer). Iv been flamed enough for being critical of their darling Carnival. Already heard people's reaction to my complaints on another message board.. I feel Im entitled to my opinion too.

Ron July 30th, 2011 11:02 PM

As someone said, one mans snow flakes is another man's blizzard. I seriously doubt that the Capt and officers weren't aware of the weather. They have highly sophisticated equipment and they do monitor it at all times. With all respect to the O.P. when you go to sea in a ship, you have to realize that you are to a big extent, at the mercy of the sea. A tropical storm can generate rough seas many, many miles for the center of the storm. I seriously doubt you were in the center of the storm. Usually in these situations, no matter what decision the Capt. makes, he's damned if he does and damned it he doesn't!
He will always put the safety of the ship, passengers and crew first and too, you might stop and think--he's also aboard the ship so it's unlikely he wants to have to swim either!! As far as crew members saying this and that I would take that with a grain of salt. A busboy, waiter, cabin steward, etc.has no knowledge of operating a ship no more than you or me. I guess if a " crew member " was on his 3rd or 4th cruise and got into 10-12 ft. seas they just might think it was really rough!
To some, 6-8 foot swells are rough water. To others, it's nothing. I saw a woman crying once at lifeboat muster and we hadn't even untied from the dock!
I guess overall, people need to try to understand that the ocean is, in the log run, the boss--it always has been and always will be as long as ships venture out upon it. Each person has to weigh the factors and decide if you want to go along for the ride or not.
Why don't people complain to the air lines when they have a really bumpy flight? I've never heard of anyone doing that but with a ship, it's something else--the sky is a big place too--why can't the Captains fly around the rough weather ??