CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Dinner attire Valor (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/384389-dinner-attire-valor.html)

WilliamL August 17th, 2011 12:39 PM

Dinner attire Valor

We took a Carnival cruise aboard the Victory and it was ok for gentleman to wear nice shorts and a collar shirt for dinner. Is the same attire ok for the ship Valor? Does anyone know?

Thanks

Fern August 17th, 2011 08:24 PM

Hi William and welcome to CM's! While they probably won't kick you out, it's really better to wear slacks to dinner instead of shorts. Don't be surprised if you're asked to change :) !

Trip August 17th, 2011 08:55 PM

As you can below, men are now able to wear shorts in the dining room for Cruise Casual nights...This is from the Carnival Faqs page.

Have a great cruise.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

RTALLEN August 17th, 2011 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1387780)
As you can below, men are now able to wear shorts in the dining room for Cruise Casual nights...This is from the Carnival Faqs page.

Have a great cruise.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

What?? No bib overalls? Well, dang!:rolleyes:

Fern August 18th, 2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1387780)

Have a great cruise.

Thanks, Trip! I'm having a bit of trouble defining "dress" shorts, but I guess they'd be what we used to call Bermuda shorts?

I don't really care what people are wearing as long as their "bits" are covered in the Main Dining Rooms :shock:.

Trip August 18th, 2011 08:19 PM

Fern, I have decided I am letting go of all my ancient history dress codes. My "formal" look, has always been, pretty much, dressy pants & tops...with the exception of my tuxedo evening suits I once had...

Dressy is as subjective as food nowadays so, I agree, if you look nice,and your bits and pieces are covered...yay:)

These days with cost of baggage, and, weight charges,,I am over shlepping all the things I used to bring.

Fern August 18th, 2011 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1387958)
Fern, I have decided I am letting go of all my ancient history dress codes. My "formal" look, has always been, pretty much, dressy pants & tops...with the exception of my tuxedo evening suits I once had...

Dressy is as subjective as food nowadays so, I agree, if you look nice,and your bits and pieces are covered...yay:)

These days with cost of baggage, and, weight charges,,I am over shlepping all the things I used to bring.

AMEN! Cover the "bit's and pieces" :D!

johnthed0g August 19th, 2011 06:56 AM

Dress shorts are "tailored", really like a pair of what we in the UK call "trousers" short, but would come to the knee at least.
I don't see why people would want to go to an elegant MDR with immaculate staff & service yet wish to wear shorts.

jlauntz August 19th, 2011 11:34 PM

Dress like you're going to wall mart. It seems that no one really cares how they look anymore. Me I'm going regimental in me kilt.

S.S.Oceanlover August 20th, 2011 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnthed0g (Post 1388007)
Dress shorts are "tailored", really like a pair of what we in the UK call "trousers" short, but would come to the knee at least.
I don't see why people would want to go to an elegant MDR with immaculate staff & service yet wish to wear shorts.

I love eating fried chicken and meat loaf in my shorts.

Bill

johnthed0g August 20th, 2011 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.S.Oceanlover (Post 1388220)

Bill

Quite......

WilliamL August 20th, 2011 08:30 AM

Thank You all who replied.

Why would I wear shorts to the MDR? Just my personal preference.

johnthed0g August 20th, 2011 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamL (Post 1388244)
Thank You all who replied.

Why would I wear shorts to the MDR? Just my personal preference.

You want to wear shorts to a formal silver service type dinner? Why?

Mike M August 20th, 2011 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.S.Oceanlover (Post 1388220)

Bill

Now that's funny. :D

Take care,
Mike

johnthed0g August 20th, 2011 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike M (Post 1388270)
Now that's funny. :D

Take care,
Mike

Totally appropriate attire I would say....:-))

S.S.Oceanlover August 21st, 2011 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnthed0g (Post 1388261)
You want to wear shorts to a formal silver service type dinner? Why?

where is formal silver service at on a CCL ship?

One knife fork and spoon on the table just like at Dennys.

Understaffed CCL waitstaff running around sweating profusely everywhere.

Not my idea of formal.

Bill

Thoth August 31st, 2011 10:19 PM

The shorts in the dining room debate is much like the bluejeans in the dining room debate...entertaing but most ....much ado about nothing ( As William Shakespeare might say).

In two weeks I supposed to be on the Fantasy ( unless a hurricane hits ) and I'm taking nice cloths. Yesterday I spent $30 of a black bow tie.

S.S.Oceanlover September 1st, 2011 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thoth (Post 1390209)
The shorts in the dining room debate is much like the bluejeans in the dining room debate...entertaing but most ....much ado about nothing ( As William Shakespeare might say).

In two weeks I supposed to be on the Fantasy ( unless a hurricane hits ) and I'm taking nice cloths. Yesterday I spent $30 of a black bow tie.

I'll bet you'll look great.:D

Enjoy the cruise and I hope you have clear skies and smooth sailing.

Bill

Thoth September 2nd, 2011 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.S.Oceanlover (Post 1390223)
I'll bet you'll look great.:D

Enjoy the cruise and I hope you have clear skies and smooth sailing.

Bill

thanks ! :D

Barryn514 September 21st, 2011 07:37 PM

Quote:

The past 3 cruises, I have seen flip-flops and blue jean shorts being worn in the MDR and no one every said anything. That has always been my *****, they don't enforce the rules.

I use to wear Tux, but haven't the past several cruises. Hardy seen them anymore.

Thoth September 23rd, 2011 02:02 AM

This past week I dressed like a gent on the Fantasy...black suit + bow tie.
That second formal night few played along and I felt over-dressed.
Come on people...at least make an effort !!! :|

Barryn514 September 23rd, 2011 10:47 AM

Quote:

I felt over-dressed.
That's why I stopped. Guess we have to face it, things have changed over the years. We go to Vegas often, and I remember getting dressed up at night and going to a dinner show. No more.

Thoth September 23rd, 2011 10:14 PM

Most of the time I dress like a beach bum, so when I go on vacation this dressing up is all part of the fun.

colorcrazie September 24th, 2011 03:55 PM

One year, we were on a 2 week+ HAL cruise and hubby got tired of going to the dining room, plus he wasn't feeling well. It was one of the formal nights, but I am okay with going by myself. Anyway, he had found out that he could get items from the dining room menu delivered via room service during seating times. So, he ended up eating surf and turf in the cabin in his skivies. Still one of his favorite cruise memories!
Marty

johnthed0g September 24th, 2011 04:04 PM

Different counties...on P&O UK I would say that at least 95% of men adhere to the dress code with about 98% of them wearing a dinner jacket/Tux