Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 30th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Spendor Fire Free Cruise Questions

Has anyone used their free cruise offer yet? Did you receive what was promised?

There were 5 of us booked on that cruise, 3 in one balcony and 2 in another with connecting balconies. At the last minute Deane, my son-in-law, could not go so it was just the 4 of us girls, WHOO HOO!! Me and my sister in a cabin and my daughter and granddaughter in the other. This cruise was a graduation gift to my granddaughter from my sister.

The total cruise price for 5 of us was $4053.95 and charged to my sisters Visa. I was paying her back for my daughters, son-in-laws and my tickets ($2196.37). Well, we all know now I didn't have to b/c CCL picked up the bill. THANK YOU CCL! They even put us up at the Westin in San Diego for the night. Boy that was SWEEEEEET, hot showers, hot coffee, food...real food that was still steaming.

So, when we get home and my sis pulls up in her driveway we just about died from laughter. Sitting in her front yard is an old row boat with paddles filled with Spam, Pop tarts and Budweiser! A gift from her co-workers at the hospital where she is an ER nurse.

It's been almost a year since the fire on the Splendor and we are so ready for a vacation. We decide to take CCL up on their offer of the free cruise. A lot can happen in a year and life has a way of letting you know ship happens!

My granddaughter (Kayla) will be a mommy in a couple months but that’s not all, her mother (Teanne) found out she too is pregnant. I am going to be a great-gma and a g-ma within 6 months of each other. How cool is that?

I know I'm rambling but the girls’ being pregnant comes into play here in a minute. Keep in mind these girls were on the fire cruise with me and my sis.

So, I go online to CCL and browse for cruises we might take utilizing our free cruise. And yes, we have a TA, but I wanted to get an idea of what was going on and different destinations etc. I knew the girls couldn't go because of the pregnancies so it will be just me and my sis and they can go on their own at a later date...hopefully.

We picked the Oct 28 2011 Barcelona 16 day TA!!! We applied the free cruise then paid the difference which should have been about 400.00 for the 2 of us. We are booked in a balcony SR 11251.

When I went to our TA to pay for the cruise, she is on the phone with CCL discussing our free cruise credits. We used the same TA on the fire cruise so she is aware of more details than us when it comes to dealing with credits and the unique situation we were going thru. By the time she gets off the phone I have a feeling I am not going to be happy with CCL. And I was right! NOT HAPPY!

When our TA booked our cabins for the fire cruise she booked me as third guest therefore I am entitled to a 379.00 credit. I know it's not CCL's fault that our TA put me third but geeze I was the one paying for 3 of the tickets even though 1 of them wasn't used because Deane was not on the fire cruise.

The girls will not be able to use their free cruise b/c of CCL's pregnancy and infant policies. We have to use the free cruise by Nov 7 2012. I haven’t talked with CCL about extending that date for the girls but I plan on doing that this week. Hopefully they will work with us on that.

I am so confused about the whole free cruise credits I can't even think. We ended up paying $1768.00 for the Barcelona cruise after credits from the free cruise. On the Cabin Confirmation email from CCL they show a credit of $437.58 for 2 free cruises.

Do you feel we have a legitimate complaint? We don't want to sound as though we are ungrateful b/c CCL was outstanding during the fire cruise and the crew literally saved the ship and our lives by getting that fire out like they did. We just want what was promised to us.

We are writing letters to try and resolve the issues and are asking for onboard credit during the Barcelona cruise for the value of the free cruises minus the 437.58 already applied to the cruise.

I would love some input on this…any takers?

If anyone wants to meet up on the Magic 10/28/11 Barcelona TA cruise and see some pics, hear some first hand accounts of the Splendor fire and share some of yours we will be in 11251.

~Gidget~
Sponsored Links
Old August 30th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Captain

You get a free 7 day cruise, but picked a 16 day cruise in Europe correct? Did Carnival agree to pro-rate the amount to a different length cruise? I know there are always terms with these discounts, like I had one from something else and it could not be applied to alaska for sure, not sure about europe.

The amount of credit does seem low. I dont know that you can fight it if you were listed as the 3rd pax but think you should get credit as the 2nd pax only because you paid for others. Did you consider just doing another 7 day. I hope you didnt commit to Early Saver rate on the 16 day europe cruise without first checking with Carnival that the discount would be pro-rated how you wanted.

Hopefully, there can be a extension for those who are now pregnant. Maybe you can clear up some of the discussion prior to booking the europe cruise and we can maybe say better if its fair or not.
Old August 30th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Welcome Newcomer

The free cruise can be used as a credit on any cruise carnival offers. We paid 2196.37 for 3 and 1857.58 for 2 both balcony. CCL has approved the use of the credits for the 16 day Europe. They are not restricting the duration or ports.
Yes, we considered the 7 day mex riv cruise which would cost 1695.42 for the same category as the the original cruise however there are only 2 ports of call this year b/c they removed Mazatlan and may cancel another due to issues in Mexico.
When I looked at the price for the 16 day T/A we would idiots not to take advantage of that. We ended up getting 16 days for 1768.00 for 2 pax with a balcony.
Please don't think that we are a bunch of whiners and ungrateful witches. I just feel like we are not getting the credit for the free cruises. If we were to take the 7 day Mexican Riviera in Nov it would cost us 847.71 p/p and we only received 437.58 for two cruise credits.
The Barcelona cruise is paid for in full, with approval from carnival to use the free cruise credit toward the fee for the 16 day cruise.
I know this sounds confusing so I hope this helps clarify things.
~Gidget~
Old August 30th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Captain

$437 sounds low to me for the credit for 2 people. Thats why I was asking, trying to figure out why it would be so low. No one thinks you are ungrateful, just trying to figure it out.

If two people paid over $1400 or whatever on Splendor, then to me that should be the credit. Surely pax 1 and 3 fares would have been more than $437? I hope your TA is a fighter and can get more credit. sounds too low to me.
Old August 30th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I agree with you flowers, regardless of 1st 2nd or 3rd pax i can't take a 7 day cruise for 437.00 on any cruise line. I hope our TA is a fighter too. Actually she is my sisters TA and so far I am not impressed. I only brought her in to the Barcelona cruise because she handled all the details on the Splendor before and after the fire. She told me she spoke to three different people at CCL last week about the low credit and got no where.
I found the blog on here about how to get results when you have a legitimate complaint so I will take that advise and go with it.
Old August 30th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

the math does not add up here.....OP, sorry but your post is soooooo confusing, it's hard to offer assistance.

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old August 30th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Admiral

Very confusing. Now, when YOU alone got Your letter from Carnival, did it just say FREE CRUISE? or did it have actual numbers on it? What did the numbers say? When the other cruiser got her letter, what did it say?

Were there numbers on your last booking somehow transposed? Why would you even pay that much out of pocket?

I think this is going to be ONE OF THOSE THREADS!
Old September 1st, 2011, 03:41 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthlessboss View Post
Very confusing. Now, when YOU alone got Your letter from Carnival, did it just say FREE CRUISE? or did it have actual numbers on it? What did the numbers say? When the other cruiser got her letter, what did it say?

Were there numbers on your last booking somehow transposed? Why would you even pay that much out of pocket?

I think this is going to be ONE OF THOSE THREADS!
Ruthlessboss,
I never received anything from Carnival. However my sister who paid for both cabins received a letter stating FREE CRUISE TO THE VALUE OF WHAT YOU PAID. Within a month or two after the Splendor cruise all charges assosiated for that cruise were reversed.
When we booked the Magic cruise our TA had to input some numbers for the credits to be applied. Those numbers came directly from CCL.

~Gidget~

Just noticed I left the "l" out of "Splendor" in the title of thread...oops
Old September 1st, 2011, 04:59 AM
Captain

Just for comparison's sake what did she pay for her fare and your 3rd pax fare.. that is what I would be fighting for.
Old September 4th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Familiar Face

To compare your free cruise to our 50% cruise for swine flu cruise.

At 50% off our next cruise it was figured this way. Say we paid $500.00 just for the cruise no fees and taxes included. We were given $250.00 credit and had to pay the fees and taxes for the new cruise.

So what ever you paid for the cruise alone, minus taxes and fees, and that should be what you are will be credited.
Oct 2007-Carnival Liberty-First "Kids Free" Cruise
April 2009-Carnival Splendor-Swine Flu Cruise-Enjoyed San Fran
April 2010-Carnival Dream-Loved the cruise

To Come:
Jan 2012-Family Cruise on the Mariner of the Seas

"Boat Drink, Waitress I need 2 more Boat Drinks"
Old September 11th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insider View Post
To compare your free cruise to our 50% cruise for swine flu cruise.

At 50% off our next cruise it was figured this way. Say we paid $500.00 just for the cruise no fees and taxes included. We were given $250.00 credit and had to pay the fees and taxes for the new cruise.

So what ever you paid for the cruise alone, minus taxes and fees, and that should be what you are will be credited.
Actually, somewhere along the line, my PVP said the discounts now include the entire cruisefare (which includes port fees). I got 20% off the entire cruisefare, including the port charges/NCF part.