Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 7th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Familiar Face

Question How secluded is a balcony?

How secluded are they? Is the glass clear or no? Will they be able to see shapes? Will they know what I'm wearing? If it matters I'll be on the Conquest.

Sweet
loves to cruise!

Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Frosted plastic sheets between the balconies. Not very private at all.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old September 7th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Administrator
Admiral

It really depends on the ship. Some of the partitions are metal, some are frosted Plexiglas. Some extend all the way to the railing, some angle to the railing leaving more of your balcony exposed.

In all cases you or your neighbors won't be able to see through the partition but you will hear the conversations of your neighbors and vice versa. The only way you can truly see the other balcony is to stick your head around the divider. BTW: This is not an acceptable thing to do unless you know the people next door or you are having a conversation.

On some ships you may also see reflections of your neighbors balcony in the clear Plexiglas on the bottom of the railing. I noticed this on one ship but I can't really remember which one.

Some balconies do give you much more privacy. The wrap around balconies on some ships are much more private and if the people above you can't see down then you can even sit out there in your underwear and not be seen.

On a privacy scale of 1 - 10 I would give it a 5.

Take care,
Mike

P.S. Don't forget about the window washers.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 7th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I have a rear facing balcony on Vista deck on the Dream next year. The only thing above us is Lido. Not that we will require a lot of privacy. I am rooming with my cousin. We chose the room because she is claustrophobic. I usually travel solo. I figured out the price for an inside single and this balcony. The balcony was cheaper! Good deal!

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old September 7th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Familiar Face

Ok I think I got it, and <laffin> I promise to not look over at my neighbors. I'm really hoping people don't do that

Sweet
loves to cruise!

Old September 7th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to dhudd

We always had privacy on all of the cruises that we were on and never had any problems or noisy neighbors. Yes there is a partition on either side of your balcony. You may have your stateroom steward open the partition for you if you have friends and or Relatives on either side of your balcony. This will allow you to go from balcony to balcony, as long as each partition is opened. On our last cruise aboard the Carnival Glory, they opened up all of the balcony partitions for a fresh water washdown. I'll attach photos of the balconies. You'll have a wonderful cruise... Dave & Diane...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 629.jpg (88.9 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 026.jpg (87.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg PA150053.jpg (91.0 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 924.jpg (36.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg PC040313.jpg (40.0 KB, 45 views)

MS Carnival Spirit 10/2006
MS Carnival Victory 12/2005
MS Star Princess 12/2002
MS Carnival Victory 12/2000
USS Bristol County, LST 1198, 1980-1982
USS Turner Joy, DD951, 1973-1978
Old September 7th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Familiar Face

Love the pictures, especially the last one. Thanks so much, seeing the balcony really helped. Last but not least, thanks for your service.

Sweet
loves to cruise!

Old September 7th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Admiral

As mentioned before depending on the ship most partitions end at the rail. I really like the added blinders as seen in the pictures some cruiselines have added. We have also noticed that depending on the sun's angle, while sitting on the balcony you can see your neighbor's cabin in the reflection off your plexi-glass and they can see yours. Our neighbors had a clothes line full of whites drying.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old September 7th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Admiral

Please be aware that while other passengers can't see you unless they look around the partition, you may be visible to the Officer's on duty.

IMHO, I wouldn't do anything on my balcony that I wouldn't do in the middle of the Dining Room !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old September 7th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern View Post
IMHO, I wouldn't do anything on my balcony that I wouldn't do in the middle of the Dining Room !
Will keep that in mind, lol

Sweet
loves to cruise!

Old October 4th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Familiar Face

Never had a problem and the wife and I go nude all the time. Now we do use common sense and if in port then we keep our towels over us. We have always said if they want to lean over the rail and look into our balcony than it's on them. They will either like it or never look again. Never had a problem with anything and even had a room steward help us out and take a few photos for us. Made his day!!!!!!!
Old October 4th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks so much!

Sweet
loves to cruise!

Old October 5th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturist View Post
Never had a problem and the wife and I go nude all the time. Now we do use common sense and if in port then we keep our towels over us. We have always said if they want to lean over the rail and look into our balcony than it's on them. They will either like it or never look again. Never had a problem with anything and even had a room steward help us out and take a few photos for us. Made his day!!!!!!!
I have to say, that's your opinion, lol. Even in my best days I wouldn't sit out there nude, but obviously, I am not a naturist (or even an exhibitionist.) Enjoy!
Old October 5th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiel53 View Post
I have to say, that's your opinion, lol. Even in my best days I wouldn't sit out there nude, but obviously, I am not a naturist (or even an exhibitionist.) Enjoy!
I have to agree with you on this..... and will add that you should consider the neighbors next to you who may or may not be curious and peek around the corner (lets face it, I am sure many folks have done this over the years !), and could get a surprise ! But my concern of folks opting for a "clothes optional experience" on their balcony need to consider that this is not the venue for it to take place. With children onboard and others who may take offense, please find another venue where this is allowed and accepted

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old October 6th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2cruiz View Post
I have to agree with you on this..... and will add that you should consider the neighbors next to you who may or may not be curious and peek around the corner (lets face it, I am sure many folks have done this over the years !), and could get a surprise ! But my concern of folks opting for a "clothes optional experience" on their balcony need to consider that this is not the venue for it to take place. With children onboard and others who may take offense, please find another venue where this is allowed and accepted
I'm honestly mixed on this one, part of me says it's their balcony if someone peeks over thats on them, the other part of me thinks if they do this on a normal basis, I'm sure they show discretion and should be able to do as they please. Bringing kids into play is a whole other story, especially if they have the slanted wall. Again, I think they'll show discretion, If they have the full wall, since they already stated they covered up in port, i think they should do as they please. Also can't see why anyone would be offended by what they do on their balcony, since no one should be looking.

Sweet
loves to cruise!

Old October 13th, 2011, 09:22 AM
david30101

I normally go out there in underwear, which to others looks like a "speedo" anyhow. Its no differnt then when they see me up on deck in a speedo.
Old October 13th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Familiar Face

Your neighbours have no right to be peeking around, so if they do peek - and don't like what they see - then they have no right to complain. Nobody asked them to look.

Old October 13th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

I guess it is a matter of individual morals.....for me, I don't think total nudity has it's place on the balcony of a ship. JMHO

Also.....don't forget about surveillance cameras

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"