CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   New Carnival Loyalty program (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/384893-new-carnival-loyalty-program.html)

Snoozeman September 10th, 2011 12:53 AM

New Carnival Loyalty program

Some people have been sent some concept designs for the new Carnival Loyalty program cards. I'm not one of them, but I have seen the designs. Interesting.

It looks at though they will be going from number of cruises to number of days sailed to determine your loyalty category. It will now be points and not number of cruises sailed.

Since they have yet to determine the names of the new loyalty levels I'll give the requirements based on current names:

Blue Card: 1-24 cruise points
Gold Card: 25-74 cruise points
Platinum Card: 75-224 cruise points
Milestone Card: 225 cruise points

Phil&Liz September 10th, 2011 08:06 AM

Adding in our 2 upcoming cruises (assuming this program doesnt take effect til early 2012) , if its a lateral move days to points then we remain Platinum. We are half way to Milestone with number of cruises but will be only a third of the way to the top tier with the new program.

I guess one of the complains about the current way of achieving the top was that someone could take 25 3 day cruises at about $300 per sailing vs a combo of 3-7 day sailings with an average of $550-800 cost.

Does the new program even the playing field?

Snoozeman September 10th, 2011 08:38 AM

Perhaps a more level playing field.

Hopefully they will 'grandfather' existing levels, but I kind of doubt it since they now have NEW names for the levels. I just made Milestone and it looks like I will go back to Platinum. Good thing I already have my 25% milestone award allocated on next cruise.

I like the fact that rookies will have the blue card for more than just the first cruise. Going to 2nd tier on 2nd cruise seems quick on current system.

Snoozeman September 10th, 2011 09:15 AM

Best (IMHO) of the three on survey

Best (IMHO) of the three graphics and names on survey

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...CLfunfleet.jpg

Dhill September 10th, 2011 10:14 AM

So what are the benifits ? I guess you get $ off on your cruise if you go high enough on the food chain. But what else do you get? Is it worth it to be loyal to one cruise line for the benifits? ;)

Snoozeman September 10th, 2011 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dhill (Post 1391759)
So what are the benefits ? I guess you get $ off on your cruise if you go high enough on the food chain. But what else do you get? Is it worth it to be loyal to one cruise line for the benefits? ;)

They haven't released that information yet, they are getting feed back on design and concept right now. They probably have an idea, but it's not public even to those that received this survey.

ScurvyDog September 10th, 2011 11:32 AM

Sill not crazy about the card design. Hopefully the final product will not look like a Camp Carnival card.

RTALLEN September 10th, 2011 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dhill (Post 1391759)
So what are the benifits ? I guess you get $ off on your cruise if you go high enough on the food chain. But what else do you get? Is it worth it to be loyal to one cruise line for the benifits? ;)

This appears to be similar to what many hotel / motel chains are doing. Stay "x" number of nights, get a free night. Hopefully, Carnival will grandfather in previous cruises. Maybe, as you move up in points, there will be some great rewards. Things such as an onboard credit of "x" dollars, a guaranteed upgrade, free dinner at one of the specialty restaurants, etc. Let's face it. Competition among the cruise lines is ever increasing. If Carnival can make it worthwhile, brand loyalty may not be such a bad thing, IMO.:cool:

Jamman September 10th, 2011 12:02 PM

Are days sailed = to cruise points?? I am also Milestone, and if that's true 25 seven day cruises would only be 175 cruise points. I have been on 28 Carnival cruises, most of which were 7 days and longer, and with #29 coming tomorrow, and # 30 in December, I'll still be short of 225 cruise points for Milestone (Mardi Gras).

martinchem September 10th, 2011 01:19 PM

I like the idea of a new program but 225 points seems high considering that would be like take 32 cruises at 7 days each and still not being "Milestone" which is currently 25 cruises, it shoud be around 175 points. Also Carnival should grandfather in anyone at achieved levels and anyone within attainable milestone benefits.

Jamman September 10th, 2011 02:20 PM

Don't like the spread. 25 pts to reach Gold (Festivale), 50 more points to reach Platinum (Jubilee), Then 150 more points to reach Milestone (Mardi Gras). Seems to me there should be anothe level between Jubilee and Mardi Gras, or lower the points to reach Mardi Gras!!

Mike M September 10th, 2011 03:21 PM

Now that Carnival has more 9+ day cruises I think this is fair. I have never liked the idea of going on 10, 3 day cruises, and becoming top tier. When Royal Caribbean did this it caused problems. Most notably the overflow in the Concierge Lounge and the discountinuation of Diamond members using the Concierge Lounge. It was nice they did create a Diamond Lounge on ships that could accomodate it.

Take care,
Mike

ScurvyDog September 10th, 2011 05:01 PM

I also think the new proposal is fair. Never did seem right to get a gold card after one cruise. I see no problem with another level between Jubilee and Mardi Gras (although they probably will have only four) but getting to the top level should not be made easier. That is the problem they are facing now. Everyone is Platinum. JMHO

Snoozeman September 10th, 2011 05:23 PM

This is great news if true...posted by a CCL employee on a Milestone member site:

"Hi Everyone, Just wanted to jump in and say that nothing is final at this stage. We're just in the exploratory stages right now so no need to worry especially since once we do decide on a course of action, we will make sure that all existing Platinum and Milestone guests are 'grandfathered/protected' at their existing levels."

It would make me very happy with Carnival for sure!!:D

Snoozeman September 10th, 2011 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScurvyDog (Post 1391822)
I also think the new proposal is fair. Never did seem right to get a gold card after one cruise. I see no problem with another level between Jubilee and Mardi Gras (although they probably will have only four) but getting to the top level should not be made easier. That is the problem they are facing now. Everyone is Platinum. JMHO

Agree 100%. There were so many Platinum's on the Ecstasy last week that we had to reserve a time to just to play the first round of the slot tourney. And the VIP lounge at embarkation was packed. As I said in my review, we checked in at the regular desk--much faster.

Putting a wider gap before reaching Milestone will eliminate the problem they currently have from moving up the ladder so quickly.

I'm happy with it especially if they do protect our current levels since I would drop back.

Jamman September 10th, 2011 10:00 PM

I would think that making the gap wider to reach Platinum would help eliminate some of the problems discussed above, not widening the gap between Platinum and Milestone.

Would be nice if existing Platinum & Milestone members were grandfathered.

zydecocruiser September 11th, 2011 09:38 AM

Per JH, existing Platinum and Milestoners will be grandfathered in with no planned changes to the Milestoner program.

I don't really care what they do, including abolishing the program, I just wish they would stop planning and start implementing. It seems they need a lead time of years to get anything done. So start implementing now, and by the time it actually is fully implemented, maybe the next design will be ready to roll out. Sheesh.

It really doesn't matter what Carnival does, they won't please everyone. Damned if they do and damned if they don't.

colorcrazie September 11th, 2011 04:22 PM

When I got the feedback survey in my email and looked at it, the first thing that came to mind was "way too cutesy". Felt like we are headed to Camp Carnival. But, as long as they transfer from our platinum to equivalent bennies, I don't really care. Going NCL this year anyway.
Marty

kaneals September 12th, 2011 03:12 PM

I'm just curious if the loyalty programs will include their sister companies. For example, Carnival owns Princess Cruise Lines. Will they have just one program or each company have their own?

ScurvyDog September 12th, 2011 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaneals (Post 1392136)
I'm just curious if the loyalty programs will include their sister companies. For example, Carnival owns Princess Cruise Lines. Will they have just one program or each company have their own?

It will not include any sister company.
Carnival Cruise Line will be stand alone.

fourxbusymom September 12th, 2011 08:19 PM

Well as far as sister company benefits, I have a question. This past February my dh and I went on our first HAL cruise for his parent's 50th anniversary. We both shocked that I got an invite to the repeaters luncheon, since neither of us had been on HAL before. We went to the purser's desk and asked if he could go with me and they said that was no problem (very different from what Carnival said when I went on my 2nd cruise which was his 1st). We had a great time, and plan to go on HAL again...but thought maybe the fact that I had so many days on Carnival was the reason we got the invite. Can anyone out there confirm or deny this?

Snoozeman September 13th, 2011 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourxbusymom (Post 1392194)
Well as far as sister company benefits, I have a question. This past February my dh and I went on our first HAL cruise for his parent's 50th anniversary. We both shocked that I got an invite to the repeaters luncheon, since neither of us had been on HAL before. We went to the purser's desk and asked if he could go with me and they said that was no problem (very different from what Carnival said when I went on my 2nd cruise which was his 1st). We had a great time, and plan to go on HAL again...but thought maybe the fact that I had so many days on Carnival was the reason we got the invite. Can anyone out there confirm or deny this?

I too received an invitation to the luncheon and never sailed HAL. I did have a Mariners number that was assigned to me because of my Princess or Carnival cruises. That's the limit of what I got though.

Katiel53 September 23rd, 2011 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourxbusymom (Post 1392194)

The reason you received an invitation to the repeater's party is because you have sailed on Carnival (or Princess, Cunard, Seaborn or Costa etc). The only benefit from sailing another line in the Carnival family is that you are considered a past guest on all their lines. No other benefits are transferrable from one line to the other.

I read on Cruise Critic that on some other cruise board it mentioned what the new Platinum benefits are being looked at. Has anyone seen them? If so, can you post where you read them? Thanks.

zydecocruiser September 24th, 2011 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katiel53 (Post 1393852)
The reason you received an invitation to the repeater's party is because you have sailed on Carnival (or Princess, Cunard, Seaborn or Costa etc). The only benefit from sailing another line in the Carnival family is that you are considered a past guest on all their lines. No other benefits are transferrable from one line to the other.

I read on Cruise Critic that on some other cruise board it mentioned what the new Platinum benefits are being looked at. Has anyone seen them? If so, can you post where you read them? Thanks.

Really nothing is transferable between the lines. I get better past guest pricing on Princess because I'm a past guest on Princess than I would for being a past guest on Carnival.

Past guest benefits have been looked at for the past few years and nothing has ever come of it. I'll believe them when I see them, but don't expect any changes before the middle of next year. Nothing has been announced as far as benefits.

I'm pretty sure it will be nothing like some of the greedy requests by some people. I am optimistic they will be marginally better but mostly hope that they don't do away with the free laundry.

A&B September 24th, 2011 08:16 AM

Quote:

Some people have been sent some concept designs for the new Carnival Loyalty program cards. I'm not one of them, but I have seen the designs. Interesting.

It looks at though they will be going from number of cruises to number of days sailed to determine your loyalty category. It will now be points and not number of cruises sailed.

Since they have yet to determine the names of the new loyalty levels I'll give the requirements based on current names:

Blue Card: 1-24 cruise points
Gold Card: 25-74 cruise points
Platinum Card: 75-224 cruise points
Milestone Card: 225 cruise points
I've always felt this is how they should have run their loyalty program to begin with. I tend to book 7-day cruises and never less than 5 (have only booked a few of those) so obviously don't book near as many as I could afford with booking just 3 and 4-day cruises. The current loyalty program is rather goofy IMO. I also agree with the poster whom commented that it should take more than your 2nd cruise to move to the next tier. Also silly that a 2nd-time cruiser is the same level as a 9-time cruiser. Makes no sense

It's about time.

Beth

TxCruisers September 24th, 2011 10:10 AM

We will be sailing our fourth cruise in March; we've taken 2 7-days and 1 5 day so I really don't want to have to go down to a blue card again, also, our daughter Addie, was hoping for a gold card this go-round. Does anyone know if the days are counted from past cruises or will they include the current cruise as well, make sense? For example, as of today we will have sailed for 19 days but when I am handed my card when I go in March will it count me for 19 days or include the extra 7 (total of 26) I am taking then?

Snoozeman September 24th, 2011 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxCruisers (Post 1393956)
We will be sailing our fourth cruise in March; we've taken 2 7-days and 1 5 day so I really don't want to have to go down to a blue card again, also, our daughter Addie, was hoping for a gold card this go-round. Does anyone know if the days are counted from past cruises or will they include the current cruise as well, make sense? For example, as of today we will have sailed for 19 days but when I am handed my card when I go in March will it count me for 19 days or include the extra 7 (total of 26) I am taking then?

Welcome to Cruisemates!

Hmmmmmm...good question. Now they give you your Platinum at the beginning of your 10th cruise. Not sure how they will do that with a 'per-day' system.

TxCruisers September 24th, 2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoozeman (Post 1393965)
Welcome to Cruisemates!

Hmmmmmm...good question. Now they give you your Platinum at the beginning of your 10th cruise. Not sure how they will do that with a 'per-day' system.

Thanks!! We LOVE your blog! I can't wait to see your review on the Magic in the coming weeks.

A&B September 24th, 2011 05:20 PM

Quote:

I would think they'd count the 7 days you are set to sail just as they do now.

Beth

platinum September 24th, 2011 06:02 PM

It should hve always been days not cruises.