CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Didja ever whine about lack of Shrimp Cocktail on Carnival? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/384958-didja-ever-whine-about-lack-shrimp-cocktail-carnival.html)

zydecocruiser September 13th, 2011 11:49 PM

Didja ever whine about lack of Shrimp Cocktail on Carnival?

Not sure who, what, why, whatever..

but this place seems to indicate to AVOID black tiger shrimp?

Seafood Search | Seafood Watch | Monterey Bay Aquarium

I'm guessing it is because of health concerns and not because it is endangered?

Manuel September 14th, 2011 06:55 AM

Some of the shrimp that is available to us comes from 3rd. world countries where it is farm raised in not so sanitary conditions.
If I don't know where the shrimp comes from, I don't want it.

TM

ruthlessboss September 14th, 2011 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manuel (Post 1392385)
Some of the shrimp that is available to us comes from 3rd. world countries where it is farm raised in not so sanitary conditions.
If I don't know where the shrimp comes from, I don't want it.

TM

So, how do you find this out? Is a server informed of this so he/she can answer the question? Does a restaurant actually know? (they buy from a supplier)

RTALLEN September 14th, 2011 09:35 AM

The absence of shrimp cocktail at dinner is not a big deal to me. There are still plenty of choices available. As to the type of shrimp, this may sound a bit naiive, but I should think that the person or persons in charge of ordering food supplies (including seafood) would make every effort not to order things that could be considered unsafe for consumption. I would bet that Carnival has a list of reputable suppliers that they deal with on a regular basis. I would also bet that most people could go on a cruise, not eat ANY shrimp, and still have a great time!

Aerogirl September 14th, 2011 09:53 AM

I had the shrimp cocktail on my last cruise on the first evening and would never order it again. Not a good quality shrimp at all.

Donna September 14th, 2011 09:58 AM

I could either take it or leave it, now with this, I think I will leave it. Just not worth it, I am not a huge fan of shrimp anyway.

ouachita September 18th, 2011 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zydecocruiser (Post 1392370)
Not sure who, what, why, whatever..

but this place seems to indicate to AVOID black tiger shrimp?

Seafood Search | Seafood Watch | Monterey Bay Aquarium

I'm guessing it is because of health concerns and not because it is endangered?

Dig a little deeper in the referenced site and you find this (part of the complete text) related to black tiger shrimp:
Shrimp, Imported Farmed

Most imported farmed shrimp should be avoided due to habitat damage, the risk of pollution and the introduction of non-native species to the surrounding environment. An exception is shrimp from farms using fully recirculating ponds in Thailand, which reduce the risk of escapes and disease and is a “Good Alternative.” U.S. farmed shrimp is another “Good Alternative,” due to tougher regulations.

Seems to be more an environmental concern than species endangerment - at least black tiger shrimp species endangerment.

flowers September 18th, 2011 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerogirl (Post 1392414)
I had the shrimp cocktail on my last cruise on the first evening and would never order it again. Not a good quality shrimp at all.

I thought the same thing on my last Carnival cruise. The shrimp not only is smaller now .. but it was too soft, probably overcooked. You need shrimp to be firm imo.

Shelby September 21st, 2011 11:28 AM

I've never understood the hoopla on cruise message boards about having shrimp cocktail every night for dinner. I can go to Publix any day of the week and buy a few shrimp, bring them home, and whip up some cocktail sauce using ketchup, horseradish, and lemon juice. Voila...shrimp cocktail.

Shelby

Peddler September 21st, 2011 04:18 PM

Don't really care. Don't care for shrimp.

Thoth September 23rd, 2011 10:30 PM

There was plenty of shrimp on the Fantasy last week.
Much like the film Forrest Gump...shrimp cocktail, fried shrimp, shrimp marinara, shrimp with lobster sauce.
The best shrimp I had on that vacation was at a Charleston restaurant.:rolleyes:
fried shrimp sandwich.

Dwayne September 24th, 2011 04:54 AM

Wouldn't miss the Shrimp Cocktail. It never had the proper texture and flavor for a real shrimp lover anyway in my humble opinion. The best shrimp for me come fresh out of the ocean here in South Carolina. They are properly cooked and seasoned to my tastes. :)

Thoth September 27th, 2011 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dwayne (Post 1393921)
. The best shrimp for me come fresh out of the ocean here in South Carolina. They are properly cooked and seasoned to my tastes. :)

Just like what I ate on Meeting Street Charleston. Much better than the factory shrimp.:p