CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Question about birth certificate (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/385167-question-about-birth-certificate.html)

travelingirl September 25th, 2011 06:21 PM

Question about birth certificate

Hello All!
I'm leaving in 6 days for my cruise. What exactly will they be looking for on the birth certificate? I'm getting mixed messages. Someone please verify what was needed on the birth certificate when they sailed so that I'm sure to bet the correct certificate.

Thanks in advance all! :D

nlb1050 September 25th, 2011 06:49 PM

It must be a State issued certificate with a seal, can not be a hospital or church issue.

fun2cruiz September 25th, 2011 07:08 PM

And must either be "original" or "certified copy".

Have a GREAT CRUISE and WELCOME to Cruise Mates :)

flowers September 25th, 2011 07:47 PM

I was on Elation earlier this year with three gals, and it was supposed to have been four gals. The fourth had the hospital birth certificate, and they denied her boarding. Her friends said she cried her eyes out. She lost her cruise and didnt have insurance. It would kill me too.

fun2cruiz September 25th, 2011 08:02 PM

More proof that passengers need to be well versed on the Proof of Citizenship that is required when travelling by land, air or sea.

Trip Insurance would not have helped UNLESS it was a "cancel for any reason" policy......

So sad that your friend did not have the proper documents to board the ship and miss out on the FUN, as well as the financial loss she took.

green_rd September 25th, 2011 08:33 PM

Yet another good reason to spend the $ for a passport - and keep it up to date

fun2cruiz September 25th, 2011 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green_rd (Post 1394309)

Was wondering how long before the "education of passports" would be interjected into this thread ........only took 5 comment/posts ! :rolleyes:

green_rd September 26th, 2011 07:44 AM

Couldn't resist - sorry. I know money is tight for some people, I'm just sayin'

johnthed0g September 26th, 2011 08:01 AM

Live & learn...so in the US you need your original birth certificate to get on the ship? Why on earth do you need to do that?

anniegb September 26th, 2011 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnthed0g (Post 1394363)
Live & learn...so in the US you need your original birth certificate to get on the ship? Why on earth do you need to do that?

Because you don't have a passport?

Annie

anniegb September 26th, 2011 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green_rd (Post 1394309)

Curiousity kills the cat - how much does a US passport cost and for how long is it valid?

Annie

Aerogirl September 26th, 2011 10:35 AM

The total cost of a is $110.00 application fee + a $25.00 execution fee =$135.00
It's good for ten years. You then renew it at the cost of $110.00

anniegb September 26th, 2011 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerogirl (Post 1394387)
The total cost of a is $110.00 application fee + a $25.00 execution fee =$135.00
It's good for ten years. You then renew it at the cost of $110.00

Slightly cheaper than UK but we have no alternative. We don't enjoy paying the fees - but we just get on with it. :)

Annie

nlb1050 September 26th, 2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

If you do not have a passport it is your proof of citzenship, and if you use a birth certificate then you must have a state issued photo id to go along with it.

Of course if you cruise with just a birth cert and end up having to get off the ship on one of the islands and have to fly home it will be a big hassel as a passport is needed to enter the US from another country via air.

The island of the Caribbean do not care if you do not have a US passport but the US does.

We got our passports prior to a cruise in 2005 and while we do not have a single stamp from any country I have found that having it has helped me with other things here at home, such as applying for a replacement Social Security card and renewing my drivers license.

green_rd September 26th, 2011 12:02 PM

Quote:

There is a subset of cruises referred to as "closed loop" returning to the same port of embarkation that do not require a passport for US citizens. All cruisers must provide "proof of citizenship"

johnthed0g September 26th, 2011 03:56 PM

Thanks for the information. I may have this wrong but from the UK we MUST have a passport to board the ship & it MUST be valid for at least six months beyond your return...BUT I don't honestly ever recall anyone ever asking to see it once you have boarded. Oh yes they made a big song & dance over your ID when we stopped in the USA but all round Europe I don't see why we couldn't do a "closed loop" as well. To board a plane even for an internal flight we need "photo ID", the modern driving licence would do but most use a Passport for that too.