Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 6th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to wakedreams
Default single supplemented cruises

Do any of the cruise lines still offer single supplements for people cruising solo?

thanks!

Carnival Triumph 11/2008
Carnival Celebration 10/2007
Carnival Victory 11/2006
Disney Wonder 1/2006
Carnival Legend 10/2005
Carnival Victory 3/2005
Carnival Triumph 8/2004
Carnival Sensation 6/2002
Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

All of the cruise lines have single supplement. Absolutely unreasonable in my mind as I really hate paying 200% just because I am single. NCL has one ship that has "single" cabins but I do not see those as any bargain either. Very tiny they are. Not for this cruiser.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old October 6th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Sometimes vacationstogo.com will offer a more inexpensive single supplement. Look under singles discounts.
Old October 6th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

It still bugs me that Carnival did away with their 1As at 150% for solo cruisers.

Shelby
Old October 6th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden1 View Post
Sometimes vacationstogo.com will offer a more inexpensive single supplement. Look under singles discounts.
For Carnival there are no rates less than 200% .. but I agree its a good place to look to see other cruiselines.. I think its false advertising that this TA shows Carnival on the list..its smoke and mirrors.

If you read it real close its still 200%.. there are no solo supplements on Carnival less than 200%.. that TA shows a higher rate, then shows a solo rate, then says its a savings of 68% or whatever .. click thru .. the solo rate is ALWAYS exactly 200% of the ES rate and the so called savings for solos is compared to some higher 200% rate they are using to make it look good. I was taken in myself until my PVP pointed out its just double the ES rate.

above they say this to cover themselves for the tricky advertising.

Quote:
Cruise lines charge a "single supplement" to passengers traveling solo. Typically the cruise line starts with the per-person rate based on double occupancy and adds 50-100% to the price for a single
It adds 100% to the pp rate .. so its within their singles guides. There is zero savings, there are no cruises for Carnival less than 200% despite the tricky advertising of this TA.

OP try looking at RCL, they often have lower solo rates, as does Celebrity, and both shows lower rates often on tuesday specials. Iv heard so does HAL.

... just not Carnival.
Old October 7th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

If I recall correctly, I almost booked a Carnival cruise with vacationstogo.com and it was less that 200%. I did not book because I decided to go with a different cruise line. They do not always offer balcony rooms, but you can sometimes find a good price for ocean view or obstructed.
Old October 7th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Admiral

Celebrity's rates are way high for me. I think that 150% of a Celebrity rate is going to be more than 200% of a Carnival rate.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old October 7th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden1 View Post
If I recall correctly, I almost booked a Carnival cruise with vacationstogo.com and it was less that 200%. I did not book because I decided to go with a different cruise line. They do not always offer balcony rooms, but you can sometimes find a good price for ocean view or obstructed.
Unless its a rate they say click here, its a private rate and email it to your (group cruise me thinks, but I have seen them once in a while), my PVP says there are not any rates on Carnival at this time less than 200%.

Maybe there are some unpublished rates, but I have had 3 problems with this TA, where they dont do what they say. I would be wary if they try and convince you that they do have rates under 200% when someone at Carnival says they do not..(who has worked there forever).

The last time was with RCL booking and I could see a $75 C&A coupon, and they kept giving me odd amounts off like $63, then they said no, $61 off, and I sent them the coupon screen print, and they tell me they are not allowed to open attachments.. if I didnt get the correct code for them, too bad. They also promised a bottle of wine for booking with them, not delivered. I called 3 times after the cruise, and they finally gave me a check for $10 when I kept pushing.

If you want a TA and not a PVP, find one of the ones on this site, those people dont care if the price is right. I could see the numbers didnt add up, but they were like, hey its not our problem, we put the code in, if you cant find the right code, not our problem to fix, we did all we can do. This from a supervisor who refused to call RCL and find the code. (turned out wrong code, I finally cancelled the booking since they refused to fix it and they emailed me, they were going to list me as a problem and not book with them again. ok by me lol.

this isnt a trust worthy TA. If the C&A coupon says $75 off, then it isnt $61 off??!! I called RCL direct and booked it direct with them and all is well, .. just saying dont trust VTG and what they advertise.

They also show 1As are their lowest insides, and carnival shows 4As, etc. not apples to apples, to make them look lower. they cannot advertise a lower rate than carnival, so dont believe them if they tell you otherwise or imply they have "special" rates carnival doesnt have. special does not mean they are any lower. I know pricing with Carnival .. and can see right thru them, but others dont seem to. I can name other smoke and mirrors these folks use.. but Im done with them myself. 3 times mistakes, enough.
Old October 7th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznut2 View Post
Celebrity's rates are way high for me. I think that 150% of a Celebrity rate is going to be more than 200% of a Carnival rate.

Laura
2 completely different cruise experiences, i.e. ambiance, service, entertainment, ship appearance, elegance and atmosphere, average passenger age, food quality (can be subjective), etc.......you pay for what you get !

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old October 7th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Just to sort of answer the first question...

Norwegian Epic has solo staterooms called Studio Staterooms. the fare is not as low as a single cruise fare (no supplement) but they are a decent deal.

Many lux lines offer 125% singles supplements fairly often.

You can also find roommates in our "seeking cruise companion" area under "People >> " People - CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums
Old October 7th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Admiral

The Celebrity bargains are out there on low solo supplements- I think it is a mixture of luck and and timing.

NCL (not Epic) have had a lot of low solo supplements for some of their European cruises this upcoming Winter. I have been advised that NCL and Carnival are not a good match for me by my cruising friends. BTW HAL and Royal are not a good fit from experience.

I know for sure I will not book ahead in the future- I know I am in the fortunate position - I have flexibility over my travel dates. Bottom line is price is not a material factor if the itinerary is not a good fit.

Annie
Old October 7th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2cruiz View Post
2 completely different cruise experiences, i.e. ambiance, service, entertainment, ship appearance, elegance and atmosphere, average passenger age, food quality (can be subjective), etc.......you pay for what you get !

I did a Celebrity cruise once. As far as service was concerned it was about the same, excellent. Food on both lines was excellent. The Celebrity ship was dirty. It had been in drydock before the season began having a makeover. There were places on the ship where we could see behind the walls. Piled back there was construction debris, nails, wood and carpet scraps. This should have been cleaned up before that ship was ever presented to the public. It was a hazard. A child could have got back there and been hurt. If we pay for what we get then I guess I got short changed. Even so it is not to say that I would rule out a Celebrity cruise but the price would have to make it worth while.

Laura
---Mark Twain

Old October 8th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznut2 View Post

Laura
Agree about cost. And as to the other poster about ambiance,etc. also true. I can live without ambiance etc, the price is my bottom line. I;ve been on celebrity twice with a partner who did the booking and I was totally naive. I can get a great cruise elsewhere and cheaper.
Old October 8th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthlessboss View Post
Agree about cost. And as to the other poster about ambiance,etc. also true. I can live without ambiance etc, the price is my bottom line. I;ve been on celebrity twice with a partner who did the booking and I was totally naive. I can get a great cruise elsewhere and cheaper.
Being the "other poster about ambiance, etc."....
Sorry but I guess I will have to disagree with you regarding "price" being the bottom line.
While price is an important aspect in any purchase decision, so is quality and "perceived value".
What is a value in one persons eyes may not be a value in anothers.
While Carnival may be a value money wise to some, I look at them as a budget cruiseline and does meet my personal standards of cruise expectations

It's ok... they make cadillacs and volkswagons and others inbetween too !

"January"
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old October 8th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Admiral

Some of us have less of a budget for cruising than others. I have been alone in life for many years. I work hard to earn the money to cruise. The more cruises I can get in my budget the happier I am. For me my joy in cruising comes in the smell of the sea air and the feeling of movement of the ship under my feet. The ambience and atmosphere and everything else is secondary to that. If I cruise Carnival or Silver Seas it is not going to change the joy I get just being at sea.
One of the other things I felt about the cruise on Celebrity was that many were looking down their noses at us. Just as I have been made to feel in this thread.

Laura
---Mark Twain

Old October 8th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Captain

For certain I was not implying to you that I am looking down my nose at you....Just merely pointing out some facts as you have.
I do not sail Carnival any longer.... I just don't like the changes I have seen, don't like the layout of their ships, food quality or service.....compared to other lines, i.e. RCI, Princess, HAL and =x=

Thats the beauty of cruising.,... there are many cruiselines out there that meet everyones needs in some ways or another.

"January"
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"