Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 23rd, 2011, 04:31 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thumbs down Carnival doesn't care about its customers

In May 2010 I travelled Carnivals Sensation for the very last time. We've taken 10 or so cruises and this was the worst not only the ship's condition but their Agents at home office are so rude. I had 2 perfectly outside adjoining cabins and one month before travel a Carnival Rep called me to upgrade us to 2 suites for $650 more. I did it. I was so sorry I spent the month. Not only are the cabins not suites - they are mini-suites - they are nothing! Cabins V1 & V3 are at the front with a housekeeping closet that they open all hours of day and night. They go into closet at 6:00am waking us all up. They leave the entire floors dirty filthy sheets and towels on the floor in piles we literally had to walk over to get to our room. I was so angry, the people on board did nothing, and back home it was worse. They could care less about your cruise experience. I then worked with Chase Credit Services who pretends to care but in the end protect their merchants and sided with them. Bottom line is, never ever pay more money for the suites - they are tiny junior suites that only until I made a stink, did they change the names to Junior. And never stay in V1 & V3. Better yet, never travel on Carnival - go Royal or NCL or Princess - they actually care about their customers experiences not just their money. K. Butler, Sarasota Florida
Sponsored Links
Old October 23rd, 2011, 05:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I have always said, what is an upgrade to one, is not to another. I think what you might have done, before you accepted, was to look at the deck plans to see exactly where you were located, and, the size of the cabin. The oweness was on you, to ask the questions, that perhaps would have given you the info, to realize where your location woud be & to say no thanks.

Had you worked with a cruise travel agent, rather than direct, as I am presuming you did, your agent would have given you their expertise. What exactly did you ask the line to do for you onboard, and, then at home?

Any of the other lines you mentioned, more then likely,would have handled the situatuion in the exact same way.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; October 23rd, 2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 05:50 PM
Admiral

Always a bit confusing this upgrade business, I think if you are upgraded you don't pay for it, if you pay for it it's a sale. Like being "Invited" to visit a ship but they charge you..it's marketing. P&O (Carnival UK) have a policy that if you register for an upgrade you HAVE to take it, so unless you have a cabin you don't care about don't do it...even if it was to a suite, at the last minute it's likely to be a suite that for some reason nobody wants.
Sorry you had a crappy time.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 06:16 PM
Admiral

Join in October 2011, post #1, a complaint about a cruise OVER 1 year ago!
Old October 23rd, 2011, 06:28 PM
Admiral

That doesn't bother me at all......

Old October 23rd, 2011, 06:41 PM
Captain

Sounds like they opened a dispute with Chase credit cards. They have to open the dispute by law, but disputes for "dissatisfaction" are rarely won. If the merchant says no, and disputes the claim for more money, thats it. Nothing the credit card company can do. (I used to work in disputes for another card).

The dispute process is supposed to be neutral, so why the OP says Chase pretends to care .. they are doing their job. If you open a dispute, the merchant has a equal opportunity to respond. It should not be slanted toward the customer, though sometimes it is.. but in this case, "dissatisfaction" is not a good dispute reason. Easier to win .. merchandise not received, facts like that, double billing, the bill went thru twice, easily proved. The rules are very set in stone. There were times we wrote off small charges, but in a case like a large charge for a cruise ...we would think, cant write off enough the customer will be happy, close it in the merchants favor and move on. We were not allowed to give advise to either side for legal reasons.

The OP clearly doesnt understand the credit card dispute process.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 08:25 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthlessboss View Post
Join in October 2011, post #1, a complaint about a cruise OVER 1 year ago!

I agree with you, why did it take them so long to complain here. We probably will never hear from them again either as I have seen so often with a first post being a complaint.

Caribbean Trip Reports
Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014, MSC Divina Oct 2014
Old October 24th, 2011, 01:52 AM
david30101

Seems like all the people who have "1 post" listed are always the ones complaining. I know you have to start from somewhere, but before you "complain" at least show that you had conversation on the forums first to build up your post count. To us your just another "Spam" or "Bot" type person. I understand your situation. I stayed in cabin (V-9) on the Fantasy which was a perfect spot for a (V- cabin) on that class of ship and stayed in Cabin (V-6) on Inspiration which was "OK" but not terrible even though the balconys are not private and tiny for that ship class. Also those are considered "OS" or JR Suites for that class since they are slightly larger then all the other cabins on that same ship (OV and Inside cabins).OS Suites have the pull out sofa and small table where the other cabins dont. Back when that ship was built, standard balcony cabins wernt in the fleet yet like on all the new ships Carnival has now.

Last edited by david30101; October 24th, 2011 at 02:04 AM.
Old October 24th, 2011, 02:02 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Seems like all the people who have "1 post" listed are always the ones complaining. I know you have to start from somewhere, but before you "complain" at least show that you had conversation on the forums first to build up your post count.
Some people find CruiseMates when they are researching their cruises, and get great and helpful information. Many others don't research, and only discover sites like CruiseMates after their cruise... and sometimes long after.

Once they find us, and they want to vent, that's OK. Regardless of if anyone thinks their "complaint" is valid or not the information, and a a realistic discussion about it, and what the poster may have done properly to remedy the complaint, can be helpful to others.

Those greeting posters by calling them one hit wonders etc. make for a horrible welcoming committee to CruiseMates. After that kind of BS why would anyone expect the poster to come back?

Come on now ....
Old October 24th, 2011, 05:49 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
Those greeting posters by calling them one hit wonders etc. make for a horrible welcoming committee to CruiseMates. After that kind of BS why would anyone expect the poster to come back?

Come on now ....
That's a very good point Kuki. We should welcome all posters.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13

Booked Vision of the Seas . 2/14/2015

Booked Allure of the Seas... 2/21/16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Old October 24th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
That's a very good point Kuki. We should welcome all posters.

TM
O.K. Welcome butlershome. Please come back. Really enjoyed your first post.
Old October 31st, 2011, 01:56 AM
Admiral

I think I'll wait for post two before expressing an opinion.
Old October 31st, 2011, 07:49 AM
Captain

Smile

I am with Kuki on this one. I have read post like this before and have always wonder why a lot of people attack the O.P.What do you think the O.P motive is to discredit the cruise line? I found the O.P helpful I would of never thought to check out an upgrade if offered I probaly would of jumped all over it.And I dont understand how many post you have posted has to do with anthing. If you have a complaint you have a complaint.What ever the O.P motive is we should read the post and take it for what its worth.Boy I am sure glad I didnt complain my first post here or I probaly wouldnt of felt welcome and not come back either and missed out on learning all I have learned!
Old November 1st, 2011, 12:22 AM
Admiral

I don't want to sound like I'm taking one side or the other here but I'm sure some will take it that way.
First of all, these " suites " used to be called Demi-Suites--you have to be extemely careful when you book one of these. If you're not, you'll have a life boat hanging in front of what they call a balcony, which is about big enough to turn around on. And too, the " suites " at the front ( the O.P's were # V 1 and V 3 ) are right at the very front and there are steps coming up from the deck so that anyone coming up those steps are almost right in your face if you are on your balcony--very little privacy in those.
Looking at the deck plans is always a very good idea, even if you're offered and " upgrade." Too, there's a difference between an upgrade and an up-sale--sounds like the O.P took an up-sale instead of an upgrade. I personally would not have switched an outside cabin for anyone of these so-called " suites "
The O.P states he /she has been on 10 cruises so I would expect that they would have at least some experience and knowledge of what's what before making changes blindly without checking it out, especially since it was a considerable sum of money involved.
As he / she got what they voluntary paid for, I can see no reason that the C/C co. would refuse to honor the charges.
Again, I'm not taking sides-- the lesson here is to check things out--know the difference between an upgrade and an up-sale-- and even if you're offered an upgrade, don't blindly jump on it--it may not be such a good deal after all.
Old November 1st, 2011, 03:05 AM
Admiral

If someone offered to sell me something for $650 I'd do a little research on what I was getting before spending the money. Wouldn't that just make sense? They offered it to you, you bought it. Sorry you're having buyers remorse but not really carnivals fault

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old November 1st, 2011, 04:29 AM
Admiral

We sailed on Carnival Sensation in Feb 2010 and it was in great shape. I doubt it fell apart overnight.

When someone suggests that RCL or NCL has better customer service than Carnival, the first word that comes to mind is:

Old November 1st, 2011, 09:29 AM
Admiral

Never having had one of these calls to offer me anything, I am curious if the cruiseline says: would you like to take advantage of a suite for an additional $650.00? I really need an answer, because if you decline, I need to move on to another cruiser, to offer it to them.

For those of you who have gotten these calls, is a split second decision needed, or, does one have time to say, I'll call you back shortly?

Old November 1st, 2011, 10:47 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Never having had one of these calls to offer me anything, I am curious if the cruiseline says: would you like to take advantage of a suite for an additional $650.00? I really need an answer, because if you decline, I need to move on to another cruiser, to offer it to them.

For those of you who have gotten these calls, is a split second decision needed, or, does one have time to say, I'll call you back shortly?
Even if not near a computer, I'd ask about size and location. I was offered something similar on HAL I had a chance to make up my mind and check deck plans before committing.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old November 4th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I had a negative experience on Carnival Conquest in November 2010 for my first cruise. Our bed was set up as two twins. We asked for three days to have it converted to a single bed, but our steward never fixed it. My husband and I finally did it ourselves, and since we didnt know how to lock it, it kept sliding around. Also, our room was not cleaned appropriately for a few days, and I didn't even meet our room steward until the 5th day of the cruise. I was not at all happy with our service, especially after hearing for years how well you are treated on board. I expressed my complaints (these and others, not all listed) to the information desk on board, but no one contacted me. I also specifically identified numerous complaints in the survey after the cruise. I have never been offered any apologies or any attempts by Carnival to make it right. Here is the irony.....on the last night of our cruise, my husband had purchased $20 in raffle tickets, and we won the free cruise. So, I am giving Carnival another shot in a few weeks. This time, however, if we are not given the service that we expect AND PAY FOR with gratuities, I will refuse to pay them this time around.
Old November 4th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

Hoolie24.... hopefully this cruise will be better, but to remove gratuities completely is not fair to the other crew members that work behind the scenes you do not really come in contact with or the crew members you are satisfied with that are within the "tipping pool".

First time your stateroom attendant does not meet your expectations or requests... thats the time to contact guest services immediately and demand corrections of the problems you are bringing to their attention.

Hopefully this cruise will meet your expectations....Happy Cruising !

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old November 4th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Admiral

To think that your first cruise will potentially be your last cruise, then POW, you win redemption! To have a complaint, especiailly the one you had, not get attended to, would have driven my crazy, so I understand your frusrtration.

If for any reason, you have a similar issue,and I don't think you will..hit the housekeeping button, and tell them your issues, then hit it again...No results? Then to speak to the hotel manager,and so on.....I do believe you will find your complaint dealt with.

I hope you enjoy your 2nd chance

Old November 4th, 2011, 04:39 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
To think that your first cruise will potentially be your last cruise, then POW, you win redemption! To have a complaint, especiailly the one you had, not get attended to, would have driven my crazy, so I understand your frusrtration.

If for any reason, you have a similar issue,and I don't think you will..hit the housekeeping button, and tell them your issues, then hit it again...No results? Then to speak to the hotel manager,and so on.....I do believe you will find your complaint dealt with.

I hope you enjoy your 2nd chance
I'm with Trip... you contact your steward first on the pager, they normally reply in a few minutes, no satisfaction then the housekeeping phone button, then the pursers desk then the hotel manager.
I find writing a note to your steward and leaving it on your desk always works as they are in the cabin at least twice a day.
A free cruise .. wow,,, enjoy:o
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/
Old November 5th, 2011, 04:26 AM
Admiral

I would never wait 3 days for the bed to be made into a king. Next time contact Guest Services. If that doesn't work, tell them you want to talk with the hotel Director.
Old November 5th, 2011, 06:11 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecocruiser View Post
I would never wait 3 days for the bed to be made into a king. Next time contact Guest Services. If that doesn't work, tell them you want to talk with the hotel Director.
Come on, 3 days! Some communication is missing here! Apparantly he "just waited"?

I needed my queen/king separated, spoke to the attendant, went to eat, upon return, beds separate.
Old November 5th, 2011, 06:14 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecocruiser View Post
We sailed on Carnival Sensation in Feb 2010 and it was in great shape. I doubt it fell apart overnight.

When someone suggests that RCL or NCL has better customer service than Carnival, the first word that comes to mind is:

The troll spray worked! Hasn't been back since 1st post.
Old November 12th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Familiar Face

So glad that all my 9 cruises with Carnival have been great!!!! My 10th is in Jan. 2012 I always have positive thoughts... I will be a good cruiser :-))
Old November 14th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thank you for the tips....I will definitely keep them in mind when we sail in less than 2 weeks. Just the fact that this cruise is FREE will probably make it more enjoyable and little less stressful!