Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 26th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to Zach17
Default Carnival Elation Dry Dock

Ive been searching and searching to findout what the Elation is getting from its refurb/ dry dock period. From all this searching the only information ive found is that it will not be receiving the "carnival waterworks upgrade". With all the media attention placed on the Carnival Libertys funship 2.0 upgrade, im verry suprised that there is no more information on this process. Can anyone get any ansewers to what might be added to this ship? Also, ive been curious as to why the ship is being taken out of service and not receiving the amenities and or hype that is placed around various other ships. Ive only has 2 economics classes and from what ive learned from both, it doesent make sence to take a ship out of service, and not be vocal about the vessel being revived, and the only thing being said is that its not getting a major ammenity that other ships in its class have received. But if youve got this far understanding my scatter-minded questioning and have ansewers/comments please fill me in

Carnival Miracle 2005- Western Caribbean
Carnival Glory 2006- Eastern Caribbean
Freedom of the Seas 2007- Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy 2008- Western Caribbean
Liberty of the Seas 2008- Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 08-09 New years cruise
Carnival Valor 2009- Western Caribbean
Carnival Dream 09-10 new years cruise
Freedom of the Seas 2010- western caribbean
Carnival Conquest 2011- western caribbean
Allure of the Seas 2011- western caribbean

Sponsored Links
Old October 26th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Captain

I read elsewhere Elation will get standard updates, worn carpets, and refurshishes.

I am hoping they remove the boxes in the corner of the cabins, the way they did on Ecstasy. That alone would make me happy.

They are just putting her in for a couple of weeks, not time to do much of anything, and just the standard is planned.

Elation is getting 2.0 in 2014 though. Elation and Paradise, the two Fantasy class without waterworks, are the two getting 2.0.

Quote:
Carnival Liberty 2011,
Breeze, Conquest, Glory in 2012,
Destiny, Legend, Pride, Victory in 2013
Elation Freedom Triumph Valor in 2014
Magic and Paradise in 2015
Old October 27th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Admiral

Basic economics here...to do major upgrades requires pulling the ship out of service for an extended period of time, meaning no income from that ship for that time period. Just spiffing it up, fixing any minor problems means a shorter time out of service. Just like remodeling a house versus repainting the walls.
Also, I think that Carnival is probably quite aware that some of its customers simply don't care about the hyped up stuff. Plenty of ships for those who do. I am one who doesn't, so maybe I am just wishing that they were aware. Quite possible I and they are clueless...
Marty
Old October 27th, 2011, 11:13 PM
Captain

OP this is the box in the cabins I hope they remove during dry dock. Its storage for the life vests and what not. Being in the corner where it is they put the end of the bed caty corner to this box, so if you have one king bed you have to step over it every time you want to look out the window. That got old, well maybe Im showing my age, but I got tired of stepping over my bed.

Just to put this in perspective, he I unzoomed my camera.

Old October 28th, 2011, 04:00 AM
First Mate

I have cruised on the Elation, and remember those boxes well!! I am only 25, and I thought it was a pain to climb over as well. Another Carnival ship we cruised on had the vests in one of the 3 closets. That was much better IMO. :-)

Golden Princess 9/8/2012
Carnival Elation 11/02/2009
Carnival Pride 04/24/2006
Carnival Pride 05/23/2004
Carnival Elation (I think) 1999
Old November 1st, 2011, 02:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

I specifically asked John Heald if the Elation would be receiving the waterworks in this dry dock, and his answer was no. Then he trumpeted the 2.0 refurbs that it will get in a couple years. So, what I gather from that is that it will just be getting basic carpet and updates stuff. We will be on the ship in Dec, so I am hoping that it at least looks freshened up.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 01:06 AM
Captain

John had already posted on his blog that Elation and Paradise would not be getting waterworks .. long before 2.0 was announced. At the time he just hinted that Elation might be getting something better.

I dont know if 2.0 is better or not than waterworks .. but its been known for a while Elation was not getting waterworks.

Looks like I will see 2.0 on conquest first and decide if its a good trade for waterworks.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 12:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yeah, I had read that a few months ago. I just hoped that with 2.0 being announced that something interesting would be happening on the Elation. I had hoped that they would change their minds and upgrade the pool deck. (It looks so dated) Oh well. Guess we'll have to wait it out a few years.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 01:34 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Carnival Elation dry dock

Greetings Ya'll!,
I was on the last Elation cruise out of Mobile, AL and I can tell you that they were ripping up the pool tiles before we were even disembarked. I really hope they upgrade the hot tubs and pool, because the Elation is sorely lacking in this area. Hell, one night my best friend's wife was in the Hot Tub on the Serenity deck and they started draining the tub at 10:30 pm. The Hot Tubs were more like Lukewarm Tubs.. She's a good ship, we've sailed on her three times but upgrades are really needed.
Hegger
Old November 5th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Eric

I'm taking my son on the Elation 02/02/11 and was also wondering about any refurbs. We both have sailed Fantasy and Paradise. Mostly wondering if they had changed the old tube tv's and Vest boxes. But looks like not yet. Take out the box, and add led/lcd tv. But let us know if they do anything more than carpet.
The tile thing I can't figure out for sure. I also have seen them chiseling up pool area tile while we were all waiting to get off. I wondered if they would be ready in time for the next group. Otherwise that would suck for them I thought. Went on the same ship (Paradise) 6 months later and it looked exactly as before. So we guessed they were sealing areas????
Old November 5th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Captain

Elation just arrived in New Orleans a couple hours ago. I guess we will hear if any changes have been made. I hope new pool tiles too, as it didnt look that sharp to me before.

She had to wait for Ecstasy to leave for Florida before she could dock, hence the late docking today. So the first cruise will leave today from NOLA and it wouldnt be too long to know what was done.
Old November 5th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Port of New Orleans - Louisiana, USA

Been watching this morning but not really a flurry of ants or anything. And I thought dry-dockking a ship ment that it was removed from the water. Like for propellar service etc. If they are just changing carpets, why the dry-dock? And does New Orleans have that @ the port. Ship still sits at the Erato Berth now.
Old November 6th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Captain

Dry dock is over. No, no ships dry dock in NOLA. Thats why I said once this first cruise out of dry dock gets back to NOLA we should hear some reports if anything new. .. from these first pax when they complete this cruise that left yesterday.

yes, they do take the ship out of the water to clean off barnacles. It was dry docked in Mobile I believe. Mobile or Freeport I believe are where they usually dry dock ships. Bahamas is more common, but Mobile has dry dock facilities.
Old November 6th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

Got it now, Diden't realize what you ment. 'Elation just arrived in New Orleans a couple hours ago.' I thought you were just saying, like any other time. Diden't realize you ment from dry-dock. But I see now. I'm a lil slow for sure... But sweet. I'm interested to know as well. How often do the ships go in for these dry-dock issues? I mean is it the same as when they say refurbished in _____ on the info. part of the ships statistics? Because no 2.0 or waterworks I see from the post. Seems like I only hear about dry dock during mechanical issues. But otherwise it's a refurbishment. Do you know... any rhyme or reason?

Last edited by Eric; November 6th, 2011 at 11:40 AM. Reason: MS
Old November 6th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

I pulled this from the CM Cruise Reviews. Do I understand it right that none of these 2008 things have been done yet? What happened? And why is this information so outdated, if it's so. Just curious?

However, during 2008 all of the staterooms in the class of smaller Carnival ships will receive a facelift including new flatscreen televisions, for example, a subtle change but one that lends a significantly different feel to the room while also adding a little extra space - which never hurts.

An upgrade scheduled for 2008 involves upgrades to the pool area, staterooms and some public rooms. Some of the following are complete: a snazzy new pool area with teak decking, new umbrellas, a tile "beach" for the pool water to lap against and a new thatched roof for the hot tub. The kids will rave about "Carnival waterworks," the new water park featuring a 4-story tall and 300 foot long "Twister Water Slide." Another slide is three side-by-side tubes 82 feet long. This is all part of a waterpark with all kinds of sprays and other devices to keep the kiddies cool and fresh. There's also a new nine-hole miniature golf course. As of January 2008, this is almost complete.

Read more: Carnival Elation Ship Review; food, entertainment, staterooms, itinerarary and service.
Old November 7th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

Yes Eric, you are right that none of those things have been done yet. My husband was in New Orleans the other day and checked out the ship from the exterior. He said that the slide remains the same, as expected, and there was no new LED screen on the pool deck or anything. He said it looked like it had either gotten a fresh coat of paint or had been cleaned really well because it was almost sparkling. We have friends on this cruise, so I will post more when I hear back from them after the cruise (hopefully they will take some pictures that I can post).
Old November 8th, 2011, 01:28 AM
Cruise Maniac

Very nice, thank you. We are very interested in knowing. Wish I would of done a lil more homework before I booked though.
Old November 13th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Cruise Maniac

Well, I talked to my friend who just got off the ship, and she said that the only major changes were to the fitness room. There was also some new upholstery, new bedding and towels. They didn't remove the boxes in the corner of the state room or replace the televisions with flat screens. On the ship, they mentioned changing the laundry room as well. It got cleaned and a fresh coat of paint on the exterior. So, not as good as we hoped. I guess they are saving any large changes for the 2.0 upgrades.
Old November 13th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you for the update KayAnnie.

4/13/2008Carnival PrideMEXICAN RIVIERA9/27/2007Carnival ElationBAJA MEXICO9/30/2006Carnival TriumphWESTERN CARIBBEAN3/6/2006Carnival ParadiseCATALINA & ENSENADA2/28/2005Carnival ParadiseCATALINA & ENSENADA5/6/2004Carnival FantasyNASSAU