Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 28th, 2011, 02:58 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default NO MORE CALYPSO - 2.0 simply = additional revenue for carnival

I'm unsure as to whether it's just me or not, but I was not impressed whatsoever with Carnival 2.0. They added two bars (for revenue) and a sports bar with for-fee food. They kept the same comedy club that they've had and but a "name" face on the already existing concept. They also put a name to the already existing djs (we cruise for live music). Finally, they replaced the burger station and a section of the buffet with brand-name burgers and Mexican food.

We care about the traditional cruise elements - good food, quality entertainment (fly on acts), enjoyable venues, and live bands and music. According to Johns blog, lido music was replaced by a dj and two different soloists. The calypso duos which had replaced the bands which was a major disappointment, and now even those are gone. We have to suffer and listen to someone (a dj) play pre-recoreded music, and when we're lucky, we can listen to two different soloists switch off playing their "live" prerecorded music (as if the calypso duos weren't bad enough with their background soundtracks). Carnival already had solists, and now they are rotating them from lido to other parts of the ship at night and thus cutting back on their number of live musicians.

We had been told that the calypso duos would never leave, and if anything, the calypso bands would return. What's a Caribbean cruise without a calypso band? Carnival is really crossing the line with replacing the calypso live music with soloists and a dj (I can listen to an ipod at home) that it can rotate from lido to nighttime venues. It is that necessary to cut back two musicians? We really loved Carnival and would like to cruise with them again, and we hope this will change.

We look forward to cruising Carnival when what should be guaranteed cruise elements return: Carnival Triumph Band - 2007 - YouTube
Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Captain

I too love the calypso musicians. Especially on the first day of the cruise. Calypso entertainment + umbrella drink = bliss.

Krunch
Western Caribbean - Freedom - January, 2011
Southern Caribbean - Miracle - November, 2010
Western Caribbean - Liberty - November, 2008
Eastern Caribbean - Valor - October, 2006
Old October 28th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Having just been on Allure last week, they had a good group playing everyday at the pool for hours. Something I did miss when I cruised Carnival...Just makes you feel like you are in the Caribbean.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 29th, 2011, 06:26 AM
Captain

Donna, I did Oasis, and admit I dont remember the pool band, but thought the ship was fantastic. Music everywhere. Im doing it again to let everything sink in.

OP I too have mixed feelings of unexcitement over 2.0. I even love margaritas when its hot outside and Mexican and still feel its take with one hand and give with the other. Ill have to see it myself before I decide.
Old October 31st, 2011, 12:54 AM
Admiral

They replaced existing bars with different bars and added new free food options. I'm looking forward to new choices. Change happens.