Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 1st, 2011, 10:02 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Carnival vs other lines

Here is a silly question I'm about to go on my third Carival cruise in two months. We have had a great time on both our previous cruises love the ships, personal on and off have a great pvp and the prices fit my budget. Heres the question my friends say that their cruises on other lines are so much better. I'm I really missing something that justify the bigger price tag?
Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2011, 11:09 AM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

Mainstream cruiselines i.e. CCL, Princess, HAL, RCI, =x=, NCL, etc...... are all more alike than they are different. Each has it's strong points as well as weaknesses.
CCL in general is a GREAT VALUE for the passenger when it comes to Bang for your $$$, but comes with what I believe are noticeable differences i.e. ambiance, decor, stateroom ammenities, food quality, etc.....

In reality it's all about "Opinion" and your likes and dislikes along with your vacation budget.

For me.... CCL does not fit my lifestyle or expectations when cruising.

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old November 1st, 2011, 11:37 AM
Captain

We're going on our 5th Carnival cruise in just a few more days...For a reason. We enjoy them. If it ain't broke don't fix it. MAYBE at some point we will try another line, maybe RCL Oasis or Allure but honestly the size of those ships intimidates us and it seems like there is just too much to absorb. IMHO it seems that most other lines are more la-ti-da than Carnival is and we are not la-ti-da people. Carnival has more than enough of that. As far as the ship is concerned, we go for fun, and a few nights out to party. We're happy.

Krunch
Western Caribbean - Freedom - January, 2011
Southern Caribbean - Miracle - November, 2010
Western Caribbean - Liberty - November, 2008
Eastern Caribbean - Valor - October, 2006
Old November 1st, 2011, 11:51 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Ok, better then what? What specifially is making them so much happier then they think you are? Might it be elitism, that is making them feel superior?

You have been happy with all you mentioned, so why change to suit someone else's opinion, of what is the
right fit for you?

It seems like, proving it is better, is on them, so let them book a cruise with you, to see why you are so happy with your cruise choice.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; November 1st, 2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old November 1st, 2011, 12:02 PM
Captain

Well said Trip. I believe there are a growing number of people these days that feel they have to keep up with " The Jones' ". Please yourself, screw everyone else. Sorry to be so blunt, but I believe its true.

Krunch
Old November 1st, 2011, 12:22 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

I say that if your budget can afford cruising with a different cruiseline (and the price may or may not be that much higher)....experience different cruiselines, and then make your decision of which cruiseline(s) best fits your lifestyle and budget.

What is good or better for some may or may not be considered the same for you.

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old November 1st, 2011, 12:53 PM
Admiral

We just completed our first Celebrity cruise. There were some elements that I would say were "better" than Carnival and others that were not. The differences were negligible to me, though I often heard an anti-Carnival sentiment among fellow passengers. That look down the nose might be enough for me to avoid any future X cruises.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old November 1st, 2011, 02:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

I agree with the above posters that the differences tend to be negligible. The bottom line: if you are happy with your cruise vacation and the price, why change it? Carnival provides an excellent value for the price.
Old November 1st, 2011, 02:28 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thanks for the feedback it's pretty much what I thought. Don't fix what's not broke- Don't have to keep up with the Jones- and they call them fun-ships which is what I have so as long as I can keep cruising and having a good time no need to change. Thanks puts my mind to ease.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 01:16 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by krunch View Post
We're going on our 5th Carnival cruise in just a few more days...For a reason. We enjoy them. If it ain't broke don't fix it. MAYBE at some point we will try another line, maybe RCL Oasis or Allure but honestly the size of those ships intimidates us and it seems like there is just too much to absorb. IMHO it seems that most other lines are more la-ti-da than Carnival is and we are not la-ti-da people. Carnival has more than enough of that. As far as the ship is concerned, we go for fun, and a few nights out to party. We're happy.

Krunch
Not that I have anything against Carnival, but when I read a post and someone says they think other lines are more la ti da than Carnival .. but they have never tried any other cruiseline.. I scratch my head.

How can you judge these other people without ever trying the cruiseline?

You might just find they are the same people that are on your Carnival cruise you are being judgemental (defensive) about.

Iv never understood the cheerleaders who hide their heads in the sand and say they have no interest in seeing other cruiselines. I do have friends that will only cruise on Carnival and I just find it odd. How can you know you prefer Carnival? Every line has some things that are better or worse or similar.

Iv done Oasis, and it was really magnificent .. overwhelming .. but interesting. Great traffic flow and eats and activities. You would not know its a huge ship. Didnt meet any la ti da people, but was surprised how many did not speak English. Lots from other countries.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 01:21 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
We just completed our first Celebrity cruise. There were some elements that I would say were "better" than Carnival and others that were not. The differences were negligible to me, though I often heard an anti-Carnival sentiment among fellow passengers. That look down the nose might be enough for me to avoid any future X cruises.
I meet a die hard carnival cruiser on voyager who said she was sea sick. She said never got sea sick on Carnival, so it proves carnival makes their ships better. She was going back to Carnival to stay.

It works both ways .. I really find some people are died in the wool carnival people.

maybe its about attitude of the person trying out the new line. I would never let anyone look down on me, Id walk away if they tried it or just laugh at them and find it stupid or amusing. ... I have not tried Celebrity, but Iv been on Princess and some others.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 04:02 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

For me it has mostly been Carnival that has made me happy. I tried Celebrity once. I did get the feeling that people were looking down their noses at me. Celebrity with the higher price tag did not deliver more than Carnival or any other line. In the not too distant future I think I will try Princess.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old November 2nd, 2011, 08:23 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowers View Post
I meet a die hard carnival cruiser on voyager who said she was sea sick. She said never got sea sick on Carnival, so it proves carnival makes their ships better. She was going back to Carnival to stay.

It works both ways .. I really find some people are died in the wool carnival people.
I heard the same thing last week - second hand. Someone was told that Princess was better because the ship didn't move as much. We had light swells all week. I could say the same thing, my Princess cruise was the smoothest I have ever had. However, I am able to look over the rail and look at the sea and tell why.That particular cruise the seas were almost glass for 10 of 12 days.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old November 2nd, 2011, 09:35 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowers View Post
Not that I have anything against Carnival, but when I read a post and someone says they think other lines are more la ti da than Carnival .. but they have never tried any other cruiseline.. I scratch my head.

How can you judge these other people without ever trying the cruiseline?

You might just find they are the same people that are on your Carnival cruise you are being judgemental (defensive) about.

Iv never understood the cheerleaders who hide their heads in the sand and say they have no interest in seeing other cruiselines. I do have friends that will only cruise on Carnival and I just find it odd. How can you know you prefer Carnival? Every line has some things that are better or worse or similar.

Iv done Oasis, and it was really magnificent .. overwhelming .. but interesting. Great traffic flow and eats and activities. You would not know its a huge ship. Didnt meet any la ti da people, but was surprised how many did not speak English. Lots from other countries.
Seeing as you singled out my comments, and decided to twist what I was saying in your favor, allow me to clarify it for you...

I never intended to judge the people, I was judging the cruiseline. I never meant that passengers of other cruise lines are in some way superior to Carnival passengers. How can I judge other cruise lines with out being on their ships? There are pictures, reviews, passenger comments, websites, tv commercials, many, many ways to gather information, including this forum. La ti da also wasn't the best choice of words. I never intended to imply that other cruise lines and passengers look down their nose at Carnival. What I meant to say is most other lines, to me anyway, appear more formal and less "Fun". Formal and vacation are not two words I put together as I have said before, I never attend formal night, and rarely visit the dining room at all. I want to relax, and have fun ALL the time. Not dress up for church.

I am not a Carnival cheerleader. I call a spade, a spade. You'll never meet a more honest person than me. I don't claim Carnival to be a better cruise line. I describe what I like about them and the activities I enjoy. A cruise vacation is a large investment. Why would I get greedy and chance a totally different cruise line when I am happy with the one I am dealing with. I meet people every day who say their Toyota is the best car on the road, yet have never owned all the competitor's products. So how do they know? This is no different. I never said Carnival is the best. And with that, the word "Best" is relative to what one wants anyway.

Krunch
Old November 10th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Familiar Face

Our family discussed this subject the other day. My wife and I have been on RCL, Princess and Carnival. My Daughter and SIL have been on Carnival and NCL.

Wife has a slight preference for RCL. Daughter has slight preference for Carnival. I like them all. All of us agree that price and/or itinerary would be much more of a deciding factor for us than brand would be.

IMHO it is truely said that there are more similarities than differences. There is probably as much difference between individual ships within a line as there are between comparable ships from different lines.

I believe the attitude you bring and the company you keep onboard is probably more important than which line or ship you are on.

Last edited by ouachita; November 10th, 2011 at 01:33 PM. Reason: happy fingers
Old November 11th, 2011, 07:26 PM
First Mate

I used to think Carnival was the best, that's why you'll find so many CCL cruises listed in my signature however; once I cruised Royal Caribbean I felt like Carnival was the budget cruise line that didn't really think about building a ship as much as they thought about packing people onto them.

In my opinion the RCCL experience was so much better. The decor, layout and entertainment was way better than Carnival. Promenades and Solariums alone blow anything that CCL has brewing out of the water. The food is pretty much the same, the cabins seemed to be bigger even though they may have been smaller. The staff was just as friendly as any CCL ship I've been on.

We had way more "fun" in all aspects of the word on Royal than we did on Carnival. I think the price difference of a couple hundred dollars per ticket attracts a different type of crowd and the other people you sail with can make or break a cruise or cruiseline.

I heard many-a-cruise director on Royal say, Carnival has funships but we at Royal have funships with class! I couldn't agree more.
RCCL Freedom : April 2012
CCL Destiny : April 2011
CCL Valor : September 2010
CCL Victory : March 2010
RCCL Adventure : September 2009
RCCL Monarch : March 2009
RCCL Mariner : September 2008
CCL Liberty : March 2008
CCL Valor : July 2007
CCL Celebration : March 2007
CCL Elation : March 2006
CCL Fantasy : October 2005
Old November 11th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Honestly, tha fact that a cruise director would diss another cruise line like that, in public,should be embarrassing to RCI.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 12th, 2011, 02:35 AM
First Mate

I have sailed both Celebrity and Carnival. Hands down, Carnival wins. Why? Two reasons...1. SERVICE and 2. Entertainment. Finally, the food on Celebrity is only a TINY bit better. It really is just PRESENTED more nicely I think.

We booked a large balcony suite with Celebrity Century that was supposed to come with a Butler. ha In the 8 days we were on the cruise, we NEVER saw him..However, our room WAS rifled through and robbed. I realize this could have been a cabin steward or other personnel as well. Regardless, it was a Celebrity employee. Kind of feels like your home being robbed. We were unable to lock everything in the safe as the safe was too small. We hid things as best we could, but they managed to find them! We dressed to the nines every single night. I had new gowns, heels, etc..Just for this cruise. The staff put a damper on it for me. They were quite haughty and the waitstaff at dinner outright RUDE and insulting each night. I felt like they were spitting in our food and then held out their hands at the end of the cruise and demanded a good tip!! After that cruise, I swore I would NEVER cruise again.

I finally decided to try cruising again with a cheaper cruise (no big loss if the cruise was awful again). I started looking into Carnival. Lo and behold..Someone GAVE me their cabin as they could not go (last minute issues). I had the time of my life on Carnival! Wow, what a difference a cruise line makes!! Employees smiling everywhere..Truly enjoy their jobs. Always asking me if I needed anything..Spoiling me rotten. Excellent entertainment, great comedy shows and and guest involved contests on the Lido deck (hilarious), art auctions, you name it..I laughed like crazy and just had a blast! Now, as far as food goes, some of its good, some of it you might want to skip. IMHO, Celebrity is no different. Only difference is that Celebrity has a better presentation of their food.

In short, I'll never cruise Celebrity again..But you can bet I'll be on the next Carnival ship I can get the time off to get on!
Old November 12th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Captain

Smile

I guess thats why there are diffrent levels of cruise lines from the budget minded ones to the very fancy ones. One shoe does not fit all.I think what ever floats your boat is what you should go with and not worry about what other people think. Are first and only cruise was on Princess a 14 day we had a blast. We are trying to decied on are next cruise.We thought about Carnival but probaly will go with a 14 day on Celeberty. It seems like alot of the Carnival cruises are shorter.We like to look at the itinerary and lenght of the cruise more then the cruise line.All tho you cant beat the prices on the Carnival Cruises.I wonder why Carnival doesnt have longer cruises? Maybe at the prices they charge they need to turn more people.When it is all said and done any cruise is a good cruise in are book. Theres nothing like getting away from it all and relaxing. Happy cruising to everyone
Old November 12th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Familiar Face

I've always enjoyed carnival..... going on my 10th in January. All with Carnival. I say "if it ain't broke - don't fix it" Just sayin......
Old November 12th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Admiral

Perfectly reasonable thing to ask....I wonder what I would get on the elite type lines like Seabourne, Seven Seas etc.
Old November 12th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I have found that by sailing multiple cruise lines you find out that why they all give the same basic product, a cruise, they all are different. In the last five years this has become more evident.

Around 2005 I would have said that the main difference between cruise lines was the type of ship and the decor. Now, the ballgame has changed and almost all cruise lines are defining what they are.

Carnival is an excellent all around choice and one that fits well with a large group of people. There are things that appeal to younger cruisers as well as older cruisers. I find Carnival to be a great choice for first time cruisers, groups and those who want the most "bang for the buck". Carnival offers larger staterooms, a fun atmosphere, decent to excellent food and good service.

Celebrity has retained more of the traditional format of cruising but they too have changed and offer more dining flexibility and a more relaxed dress code then they did just a couple of years ago.

NCL has set the trend and was one of the first lines to truly "brand" themselves and change how people cruise. Freestyle was a drastic change for people and, for many, one that wasn't appreciated. Many long time cruisers hated the idea of open seating dining, multiple dining choices and additional charge restaurants. While for others it was a welcome change. I was one of those who welcomed the change.

I have to say that because of a couple of good but problem cruises I am not a fan of RCL. The last couple of Royal Caribbean cruises were not the best with mediocre service and poor to good overall food experiences. I know that many more people have experienced just the opposite but RCL has gone further off my cruise radar when selecting a cruise because of these issues.

So: You can choose any cruise line you like but I do encourage everyone to try different cruise lines to really understand the differences but not to entirely devote yourself to one cruise line just to get "Platinum" status and a free tote bag. The cruise world has so much more to offer.

Also, when it comes to people who look down at people who don't sail "their" line. That's their problem, not mine.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 12th, 2011, 10:26 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Every cruiseline has something good to offer

Having cruised several times with Carnival, Celebrity, and Royal Caribbeans, I feel every cruiseline has something great to offer. I had nothing but great services from all three lines. I choose a ship based on the itinerary, value and my schedule, and I do not really have a strong affiliation with any cruiseline. In my opinion, Celebrity has the best service and food, Royal Caribbeans has the most beautiful ships and Carnival has the best value among the three. Carnival is a "fun" ship with more night life and bigger casinos but I also witnessed more drunks and rowdy crowd with Carnival; however, one cannot beat the value that Carnival offers. Royal Caribbeans has less night life but their ships have the WOW effect. DH and I love to sit outside the pub on the Promenade to people watch. Celebrity has a more subdue crowd but the service is impecable...they treated us like royalty... Celebrity also offers the best itineraries among the three with many longer cruises and to more exotic places such as Asia, Europe and South America.

Upcomeing Cruises
Dec 11 - Carnival Splendor (Mexican Riviera)
Mar 12 - Celebrity Century (Hawaii)
Sep 12 - Golden Princess (Alaska)
Oct 12 - Allure of the Seas, (Eastern Caribbeans)
Old November 12th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

I totally agree with Mike M. Unless you could sail every cruise ship in every cruise line at least twice (and that would take a while), I'm not sure if you could honestly say which is the best. I think when someone says " XYZ Cruise Line" is the best, what they're really saying is it's the best fit for them. It doesn't hurt to try other cruise lines if you want to, but if you're totally satisfied with Carnival, then don't worry about what other people say about some other cruise line. It's all subjective, like people's opinions about automobiles. Chrysler vs. Ford vs. GM vs. etc. One thing's for sure, cruising can be addictive. Once you're hooked, there's no getting it out of system.

Cruises

upcoming cruise: Carnival Liberty May 2012

CARNIVAL SENSATION FEB. 2008
CARNIVAL DESTINY FEB. 2007
RCCL EXPLORER OF THE SEAS MARCH 2002
RCCL MAJESTY OF THE SEAS DEC. 2000
CARNIVAL IMAGINATION SEPT. 1999
RCCL ENCHANTMENT OF THE SEAS FEB. 1999
RCCL GRANDEUR OF THE SEAS FEB. 1997
Old November 15th, 2011, 04:11 AM
Captain

Having only sailed on Princess and Carnival so far.....I would take Carnival over Princess any day as the service, food and entertainment was better imho.

We will be trying NCL later this month, It will be interesting to compare a wholly different product from a Carnival family product.

I would love to try every cruiseline sailing! No one can really compare a cruise line with another without having sailed them for themselves as everyones tastes differ.

We are hoping to take a RCL cruise to Alaska but we are wondering if that cruise could really help us compare RCL to the others we have cruised on since all the others have been to the Caribbean? Any thoughts on this? Does itinerary create apples and oranges for comparison?

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Old November 15th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I think the feeling of an Alaska cruise is just so different from the Caribbean. I actually love cruising Alaska, give it a try and see how you enjoy it. I wouldn't rule out Princess for Alaska, they do have more ships up there and more itinaries to choose from.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 15th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Admiral

Having lived in 3 different port cities, I have often done the same ship more than once. And no 2 cruises were exactly alike. With the same menu, same ship, same itinerary, sometimes the food was fabulous, sometimes so-so. Even ordering the same item from the menu would not guarantee the same level. So, even though I would love to try all the ships on all the cruise lines, I think it would need to be just out of curiosity. Some of it depends on the specific crew and some on the passenger mix. Plus, the weather, things that happen in ports, etc., etc.
So, I just go with what entices us and don't worry about having the "best" cruise.
Marty
Old November 15th, 2011, 05:55 PM
First Mate

I would tend to agree with Donna that you should look at Princess for your cruise to Alaska Having lived in Anchorage I have seen the growth of the cruise business in Alaska and Princess has done a great job with their own lodges, own train car and the first to offer extended land tours before and after your cruise.This would be my suggestion as you are only seeing a small portion of this huge state with cruise only. As a second consideration you may want to check out Holland as they also have mirrored Princess in some of the added land tours etc. Whatever you choose you will love this cruise and we enjoyed our stay of 18 years.
Old November 17th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Think it depends on who you talk too regarding different cruise lines. Was talking to a couple on our cruise last month and they were on Holland America a few months ago and she said it was terrible. Later that night was talking with some at dinner and they also had sailed HA and they said it was one of the best cruises they have been on. Different taste in people.

We have sailed, RCCL, Princess, and now our past 8 cruises have been on CCL and we have just booked our 9 cruise for this coming Feb. Have to admit, some have been better than other ones but never have had a bad cruise.

One thing I like that the beds on CCL make up to a king where no other ship that I have found will do that. Even the big ships on RCCL, large suit, only make up to a queen bed. : -) I just like a large bed.
Nov.2005 CCL - Spirit
Aug.2007 PCL - Crown Princess
Feb.2008 CCL - Spirit
Oct.2009 CCL - Elation
Jan.2010 CCL - Splender
Feb.2011 CCL - Spirit (Cabo)
Jul. 2011 CCL -Spirit (Alaska)
Oct.2011 CCL- Dream-(W.Caribbean)
Feb.2012 CCL - Spirit ( Cabo)
Dec. 2012 CCL- Splendor ( Cabo)
Old November 17th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Barry,
I was just recently on Allure of the Seas, and the bed was a King size....So, I think it depends on what ship you are on. Also Freedom of the Seas was a king size.

Message Boards Moderator