CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Cancelation 113 days prior to sail date (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/385817-cancelation-113-days-prior-sail-date.html)

Galveston November 3rd, 2011 03:20 PM

Cancelation 113 days prior to sail date
 
Afternoon cruisemates. First time I've had need to cancel a booking and I'm getting conflicting information from multiple sources. My booking for a February 26th sailing aboard Magic is tied to a friend's wedding on board during embarkation.

Said wedding has been cancelled until further notice and thus far I had only given $250 deposit as final payment wasn't due until next month. I'm being told my deposit is non refundable as I booked using "early saver". However, I have also read full refund is only possible when cancelling 76+ days out making the majority of cancellations that are 76+ days "early saver" cancellations.

Am I S.O.L or is there someone with Carnival I can take it up the line with?

fun2cruiz November 3rd, 2011 03:31 PM

These points below should have been explained to you at time of booking.

• Does Early Saver follow Carnival’s standard deposit, payment and cancellation terms?
The deposit and payment terms are the same. However, Early Saver reservations require a full non-refundable deposit per person.

• What if I need to make changes to my ship or sailing date?
Ship and sailing date changes are allowed prior to the final payment due date, subject to a $50 service fee per person, per change. Changes made after the final payment due date are subject to standard cancellation penalties.

Galveston November 3rd, 2011 03:55 PM

After being hung up on twice during the "transferring" process to a different department, I spoke to Kate @ guest solutions. Shortly after she transferred me to her supervisor Diana Garcia who gave me the same information but said she would have the manager for that department call me within 24-48 hours.

I understand they can't have a wide open canceltion poilicy, but I fail to see where I signed and agreed to what they're saying. One option they are giving me, is to charge a $50 penalty and give a $200 credit for future sailing. If I did this, booked one for next year under non early-saver provisions, do you think I could get away with another cancelation and normal refund of deposit?

I hate to skirt the system but Carnival has really forced my hand. My only other cruise experience is on Royal and almost any question or problem has been promptly handled with a call to their loyalty department.

fun2cruiz November 3rd, 2011 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galveston (Post 1399930)
After being hung up on twice during the "transferring" process to a different department, I spoke to Kate @ guest solutions. Shortly after she transferred me to her supervisor Diana Garcia who gave me the same information but said she would have the manager for that department call me within 24-48 hours.

I understand they can't have a wide open canceltion poilicy, but I fail to see where I signed and agreed to what they're saying. One option they are giving me, is to charge a $50 penalty and give a $200 credit for future sailing. If I did this, booked one for next year under non early-saver provisions, do you think I could get away with another cancelation and normal refund of deposit?

I hate to skirt the system but Carnival has really forced my hand. My only other cruise experience is on Royal and almost any question or problem has been promptly handled with a call to their loyalty department.

Can't see why you feel CCL has forced your hand.....That is the only option you have, as stated in ES guidelines when you booked, or cancel and lose it all.

There have been reports from others stating they changed an ES booking to a later date and booking under NON "Early Saver" rates, but the original ES penalties still apply to that new booking.

Also Keep in mind that the $200.00 p/p credit DOES NOT APPLY to a deposit on the future cruise booked. It is applied to the balance due after NEW deposits have been made.

When you booked the cruise under the ES rates, you agreed to the terms including cancellation penalties, charges and non refundable deposits just like everyone else that books using those ES fares.

ES savings sometimes can be great if willing to gamble the deposit or $50.00 p/p fee for changes.... but some folks just are not willing to gamble that.

ES comes with the ability to either adjust fares before final payment (if rates drop below what you initially paid) or receive an OBC for the fare difference after final payment has been made (up to 2 business days before sailing).

Some will say to purchase trip insurance to cover your losses, but the reason for cancellation has to fall within your insurance policy guidelines, i.e. cancel for any reason, medical illness, loss of job, etc....

To me, if the savings are worth it compared to other rate promotions i.e. past guest, military, state residency, sr. fares, etc.... The $50.00 p/p penalty is minimal, but only if the ES savings are significant compared to other rates out there.

Good Luck and maybe the supervisor will have mercy on you and give you a break and waive the penalty fee's........hope for the best but expect the worst !

Keep us posted !

flowers November 3rd, 2011 05:34 PM

OP they have marked your entire deposit as non-refundable. Even if you booked a refundable fare next time the amount from this nonrefundable deposit remains non refundable (minus the $50 pp fee).

You can try to skirt the system, however, they have already covered their bases with that one.

You have 2 years from the date you cancel to use the rest of the deposit. Sorry that the terms were not made clearer to you at the time of booking, but my understanding is there is no getting around it. I had my 2nd pax cancel on me, so I just went solo rather than all the paying $50 pp and all that.

transfer it to a 5 day cruise perhaps that will not cost much more or book a cheap cabin and go and enjoy. The deposit is nonrefundable however and remains that way. Carnival will hold the rest of the deposit until you book another cruise.

flowers November 3rd, 2011 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fun2cruiz (Post 1399942)

Also Keep in mind that the $200.00 p/p credit DOES NOT APPLY to a deposit on the future cruise booked. It is applied to the balance due after NEW deposits have been made.

If you cancel and rebook all at the same time, I know some people who have been able to get it applied to the deposit. So, this isnt always true. It can certainly be done.

fun2cruiz November 3rd, 2011 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flowers (Post 1399948)
If you cancel and rebook all at the same time, I know some people who have been able to get it applied to the deposit. So, this isnt always true. It can certainly be done.

I have been successful on 1 occassion when cancelling an rebooking a client under this scenario, but unsuccessful with approx. 6 other clients..... depends on the res agent you speak with it seems.

Trip November 3rd, 2011 06:29 PM

I would add, that if this was RCI, or any other line, the problems or questions you are experiencing now, would be handled in a similar manner.

The value bookings offered, make cruisers roll the dice,and hope they can fullfill the cruise. If not, then they took the chance, and, now have deal with the options they signed up for. Just business.

flowers November 3rd, 2011 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fun2cruiz (Post 1399949)
I have been successful on 1 occassion when cancelling an rebooking a client under this scenario, but unsuccessful with approx. 6 other clients..... depends on the res agent you speak with it seems.

The girls I know had booked the TA for Magic, which is a higher deposit. They then cancelled and booked a little 5 day Triumph out of Galveston and since it pretty much covered the entire fare for their inside cabin, they were able to pay it in full with the deposit, minus about $40 or some small amount.

They booked direct with a PVP. I know its not always easy to get thru. I agree with you. These girls are milestone, so they probably had good contacts that they were able to pay it almost in full and use up the credit.

robh November 3rd, 2011 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1399953)
I would add, that if this was RCI, or any other line, the problems or questions you are experiencing now, would be handled in a similar manner.

The value bookings offered, make cruisers roll the dice,and hope they can fullfill the cruise. If not, then they took the chance, and, now have deal with the options they signed up for. Just busines.

Interesting. I always buy travel Insurance and in most cases it will cover an event but one checks.

Perhaps it is the side of me :evil:that says , what is the problem.:rolleyes:
In my mind, its lovely that the bride and groom invited one to join them on their wedding cruise but in truth as on land I'd only see them for part of that special day.
If we decide to join them it is because we like the idea of the cruise as we are paying for it and the added bonus of watching them get married.
If we could not afford it or did not like the cruise offered we would say no and send a gift.
Of course they would expect us to leave them alone and perhaps we would see them during the cruise. The rest of the cruise is for me to enjoy and I would in a flash.
When they elect to get married again, will you book a cruise again, perhaps but if they cancel again?

I'd suggest just carry on with your cruise and enjoy yourself as originally intended and your refund problem will vapourize.:D

Galveston November 8th, 2011 02:18 PM

Saturday I was contacted by a Guest Solutions 3rd tier manager who was more than helpful at not only clarifying Carnival's policy, but understanding of my situation. She offered a few diff. options which I won't fully disclose but needless to say, she went the extra mile to make sure we were taken care of.

As I explained to Michelle, said manager with guest solutions, having two people under her repeat over and over that there was absolutely nothing they could do and taking my situation up the line was futile and "pointless" was not the right way to handle things. Had one of them simply said they didn't have authority to do anything but could put me in touch with someone who could, or had the final say so, it would have come off a lot better.

Kudos to Carnival for taking care of a 1st timer with their line and even though I won't be cruising with them, I'd definitely consider them in the future.

fun2cruiz November 8th, 2011 06:35 PM

Well glad you had a good outcome in the end, but to tease us with what happened (undisclosed) surely isn't helping others who may be in a similar situation and what CCL was willing to do for you. Thanks I guess.

Galveston November 8th, 2011 06:56 PM

Nothing I said was meant to tease, just advise that I did get resolution to my problem. On more than one occasion, she mentioned giving too many resolutions to people would open the flood gates so to speak. Point being, if it is a special circumstance, be patient and take it up the line.

fun2cruiz November 8th, 2011 07:19 PM

You got lucky it appears and that is great..... But a shame you are unwilling to share to benefit others. :(

ruthlessboss November 9th, 2011 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fun2cruiz (Post 1400642)
You got lucky it appears and that is great..... But a shame you are unwilling to share to benefit others. :(

Kind of selfish don't you think? Get us all involved and then dump us!

fun2cruiz November 9th, 2011 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruthlessboss (Post 1400680)
Kind of selfish don't you think? Get us all involved and then dump us!

yep..... kinda defeats the purpose of even starting the thread ! :shock:

colorcrazie November 9th, 2011 12:50 PM

Give the poster some slack, folks. If he was asked not to share details, then being honorable enough not to do so is a matter of integrity.
Marty

Galveston November 11th, 2011 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fun2cruiz (Post 1399942)
....Good Luck and maybe the supervisor will have mercy on you and give you a break and waive the penalty fee's........hope for the best but expect the worst !

Keep us posted !

I thought detailing the process I went through to get resolution was keeping you posted. As for getting you all involved, a repost of Carnival's policies with bold red text that it "should have been explained to me" wasn't exactly a resolution. I think this post would now serve as a basis that Carnival does make certain exceptions and gave my personal account of what I did to get mine.

fun2cruiz November 11th, 2011 05:22 PM

In your original post: "Am I S.O.L or is there someone with Carnival I can take it up the line with? "
Others answered that question just like me by quoting the ES fare rules.... you did not like that answer, so you went to the source where you should have went to in the beginning. You challenged them or convinced them to work with you which is out of the norm of how they handle ES bookings i.e. refunds (if that was the end result we will never know).

You won.... but chose not to disclose anything other than you kept going up the ladder. OK....

Lesson learned.....despite cancellation policies with CCL. keep going up the chain till you get your way ! :(

Galveston November 11th, 2011 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fun2cruiz (Post 1401006)
You won.... but chose not to disclose anything other than you kept going up the ladder. OK....

Lesson learned.....despite cancellation policies with CCL. keep going up the chain till you get your way ! :(

Glad you were able to learn something out of this :D

Trip November 11th, 2011 06:08 PM

Galveston, the outcome/details are yours to share or not. As Bobby Brown sang..It's my prerogative;)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1