Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 3rd, 2011, 03:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Cancelation 113 days prior to sail date

Afternoon cruisemates. First time I've had need to cancel a booking and I'm getting conflicting information from multiple sources. My booking for a February 26th sailing aboard Magic is tied to a friend's wedding on board during embarkation.

Said wedding has been cancelled until further notice and thus far I had only given $250 deposit as final payment wasn't due until next month. I'm being told my deposit is non refundable as I booked using "early saver". However, I have also read full refund is only possible when cancelling 76+ days out making the majority of cancellations that are 76+ days "early saver" cancellations.

Am I S.O.L or is there someone with Carnival I can take it up the line with?
Voyager - 03/09
Freedom - 10/07
Rhapsody - 08/06
Rhapsody - 07/03
Navigator - 03/03
Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2011, 03:31 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

These points below should have been explained to you at time of booking.

• Does Early Saver follow Carnival’s standard deposit, payment and cancellation terms?
The deposit and payment terms are the same. However, Early Saver reservations require a full non-refundable deposit per person.

• What if I need to make changes to my ship or sailing date?
Ship and sailing date changes are allowed prior to the final payment due date, subject to a $50 service fee per person, per change. Changes made after the final payment due date are subject to standard cancellation penalties.

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old November 3rd, 2011, 03:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

After being hung up on twice during the "transferring" process to a different department, I spoke to Kate @ guest solutions. Shortly after she transferred me to her supervisor Diana Garcia who gave me the same information but said she would have the manager for that department call me within 24-48 hours.

I understand they can't have a wide open canceltion poilicy, but I fail to see where I signed and agreed to what they're saying. One option they are giving me, is to charge a $50 penalty and give a $200 credit for future sailing. If I did this, booked one for next year under non early-saver provisions, do you think I could get away with another cancelation and normal refund of deposit?

I hate to skirt the system but Carnival has really forced my hand. My only other cruise experience is on Royal and almost any question or problem has been promptly handled with a call to their loyalty department.
Voyager - 03/09
Freedom - 10/07
Rhapsody - 08/06
Rhapsody - 07/03
Navigator - 03/03
Old November 3rd, 2011, 05:04 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galveston View Post
After being hung up on twice during the "transferring" process to a different department, I spoke to Kate @ guest solutions. Shortly after she transferred me to her supervisor Diana Garcia who gave me the same information but said she would have the manager for that department call me within 24-48 hours.

I understand they can't have a wide open canceltion poilicy, but I fail to see where I signed and agreed to what they're saying. One option they are giving me, is to charge a $50 penalty and give a $200 credit for future sailing. If I did this, booked one for next year under non early-saver provisions, do you think I could get away with another cancelation and normal refund of deposit?

I hate to skirt the system but Carnival has really forced my hand. My only other cruise experience is on Royal and almost any question or problem has been promptly handled with a call to their loyalty department.
Can't see why you feel CCL has forced your hand.....That is the only option you have, as stated in ES guidelines when you booked, or cancel and lose it all.

There have been reports from others stating they changed an ES booking to a later date and booking under NON "Early Saver" rates, but the original ES penalties still apply to that new booking.

Also Keep in mind that the $200.00 p/p credit DOES NOT APPLY to a deposit on the future cruise booked. It is applied to the balance due after NEW deposits have been made.

When you booked the cruise under the ES rates, you agreed to the terms including cancellation penalties, charges and non refundable deposits just like everyone else that books using those ES fares.

ES savings sometimes can be great if willing to gamble the deposit or $50.00 p/p fee for changes.... but some folks just are not willing to gamble that.

ES comes with the ability to either adjust fares before final payment (if rates drop below what you initially paid) or receive an OBC for the fare difference after final payment has been made (up to 2 business days before sailing).

Some will say to purchase trip insurance to cover your losses, but the reason for cancellation has to fall within your insurance policy guidelines, i.e. cancel for any reason, medical illness, loss of job, etc....

To me, if the savings are worth it compared to other rate promotions i.e. past guest, military, state residency, sr. fares, etc.... The $50.00 p/p penalty is minimal, but only if the ES savings are significant compared to other rates out there.

Good Luck and maybe the supervisor will have mercy on you and give you a break and waive the penalty fee's........hope for the best but expect the worst !

Keep us posted !

"January"
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"

Last edited by fun2cruiz; November 3rd, 2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 05:34 PM
Captain

OP they have marked your entire deposit as non-refundable. Even if you booked a refundable fare next time the amount from this nonrefundable deposit remains non refundable (minus the $50 pp fee).

You can try to skirt the system, however, they have already covered their bases with that one.

You have 2 years from the date you cancel to use the rest of the deposit. Sorry that the terms were not made clearer to you at the time of booking, but my understanding is there is no getting around it. I had my 2nd pax cancel on me, so I just went solo rather than all the paying $50 pp and all that.

transfer it to a 5 day cruise perhaps that will not cost much more or book a cheap cabin and go and enjoy. The deposit is nonrefundable however and remains that way. Carnival will hold the rest of the deposit until you book another cruise.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 05:36 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2cruiz View Post

Also Keep in mind that the $200.00 p/p credit DOES NOT APPLY to a deposit on the future cruise booked. It is applied to the balance due after NEW deposits have been made.
If you cancel and rebook all at the same time, I know some people who have been able to get it applied to the deposit. So, this isnt always true. It can certainly be done.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 05:59 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowers View Post
If you cancel and rebook all at the same time, I know some people who have been able to get it applied to the deposit. So, this isnt always true. It can certainly be done.
I have been successful on 1 occassion when cancelling an rebooking a client under this scenario, but unsuccessful with approx. 6 other clients..... depends on the res agent you speak with it seems.

"January"
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old November 3rd, 2011, 06:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I would add, that if this was RCI, or any other line, the problems or questions you are experiencing now, would be handled in a similar manner.

The value bookings offered, make cruisers roll the dice,and hope they can fullfill the cruise. If not, then they took the chance, and, now have deal with the options they signed up for. Just business.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; November 3rd, 2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 06:50 PM
Captain

Quote:
I have been successful on 1 occassion when cancelling an rebooking a client under this scenario, but unsuccessful with approx. 6 other clients..... depends on the res agent you speak with it seems.
The girls I know had booked the TA for Magic, which is a higher deposit. They then cancelled and booked a little 5 day Triumph out of Galveston and since it pretty much covered the entire fare for their inside cabin, they were able to pay it in full with the deposit, minus about $40 or some small amount.

They booked direct with a PVP. I know its not always easy to get thru. I agree with you. These girls are milestone, so they probably had good contacts that they were able to pay it almost in full and use up the credit.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 06:50 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I would add, that if this was RCI, or any other line, the problems or questions you are experiencing now, would be handled in a similar manner.

The value bookings offered, make cruisers roll the dice,and hope they can fullfill the cruise. If not, then they took the chance, and, now have deal with the options they signed up for. Just busines.
Interesting. I always buy travel Insurance and in most cases it will cover an event but one checks.

Perhaps it is the side of me :evil:that says , what is the problem.
In my mind, its lovely that the bride and groom invited one to join them on their wedding cruise but in truth as on land I'd only see them for part of that special day.
If we decide to join them it is because we like the idea of the cruise as we are paying for it and the added bonus of watching them get married.
If we could not afford it or did not like the cruise offered we would say no and send a gift.
Of course they would expect us to leave them alone and perhaps we would see them during the cruise. The rest of the cruise is for me to enjoy and I would in a flash.
When they elect to get married again, will you book a cruise again, perhaps but if they cancel again?

I'd suggest just carry on with your cruise and enjoy yourself as originally intended and your refund problem will vapourize.
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/
Old November 8th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Saturday I was contacted by a Guest Solutions 3rd tier manager who was more than helpful at not only clarifying Carnival's policy, but understanding of my situation. She offered a few diff. options which I won't fully disclose but needless to say, she went the extra mile to make sure we were taken care of.

As I explained to Michelle, said manager with guest solutions, having two people under her repeat over and over that there was absolutely nothing they could do and taking my situation up the line was futile and "pointless" was not the right way to handle things. Had one of them simply said they didn't have authority to do anything but could put me in touch with someone who could, or had the final say so, it would have come off a lot better.

Kudos to Carnival for taking care of a 1st timer with their line and even though I won't be cruising with them, I'd definitely consider them in the future.
Voyager - 03/09
Freedom - 10/07
Rhapsody - 08/06
Rhapsody - 07/03
Navigator - 03/03
Old November 8th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Captain

Well glad you had a good outcome in the end, but to tease us with what happened (undisclosed) surely isn't helping others who may be in a similar situation and what CCL was willing to do for you. Thanks I guess.

"January"
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old November 8th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Nothing I said was meant to tease, just advise that I did get resolution to my problem. On more than one occasion, she mentioned giving too many resolutions to people would open the flood gates so to speak. Point being, if it is a special circumstance, be patient and take it up the line.
Voyager - 03/09
Freedom - 10/07
Rhapsody - 08/06
Rhapsody - 07/03
Navigator - 03/03
Old November 8th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Captain

You got lucky it appears and that is great..... But a shame you are unwilling to share to benefit others.

"January"
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old November 9th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Admiral

Quote:
You got lucky it appears and that is great..... But a shame you are unwilling to share to benefit others.
Kind of selfish don't you think? Get us all involved and then dump us!
Old November 9th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthlessboss View Post
Kind of selfish don't you think? Get us all involved and then dump us!
yep..... kinda defeats the purpose of even starting the thread !

"January"
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old November 9th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Admiral

Give the poster some slack, folks. If he was asked not to share details, then being honorable enough not to do so is a matter of integrity.
Marty
Old November 11th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
....Good Luck and maybe the supervisor will have mercy on you and give you a break and waive the penalty fee's........hope for the best but expect the worst !

Keep us posted !
I thought detailing the process I went through to get resolution was keeping you posted. As for getting you all involved, a repost of Carnival's policies with bold red text that it "should have been explained to me" wasn't exactly a resolution. I think this post would now serve as a basis that Carnival does make certain exceptions and gave my personal account of what I did to get mine.
Voyager - 03/09
Freedom - 10/07
Rhapsody - 08/06
Rhapsody - 07/03
Navigator - 03/03
Old November 11th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Captain

In your original post: "Am I S.O.L or is there someone with Carnival I can take it up the line with? "
Others answered that question just like me by quoting the ES fare rules.... you did not like that answer, so you went to the source where you should have went to in the beginning. You challenged them or convinced them to work with you which is out of the norm of how they handle ES bookings i.e. refunds (if that was the end result we will never know).

You won.... but chose not to disclose anything other than you kept going up the ladder. OK....

Lesson learned.....despite cancellation policies with CCL. keep going up the chain till you get your way !

"January"
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old November 11th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
You won.... but chose not to disclose anything other than you kept going up the ladder. OK....

Lesson learned.....despite cancellation policies with CCL. keep going up the chain till you get your way !
Glad you were able to learn something out of this
Voyager - 03/09
Freedom - 10/07
Rhapsody - 08/06
Rhapsody - 07/03
Navigator - 03/03
Old November 11th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Galveston, the outcome/details are yours to share or not. As Bobby Brown sang..It's my prerogative

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator