CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Does Carnival let you take food off the ship? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/385892-does-carnival-let-you-take-food-off-ship.html)

CatMeow November 8th, 2011 12:18 AM

Does Carnival let you take food off the ship?

I'm seeing how Grand Cayman charges out the whazoo for anything and everything. Do ships let you pack a lunch and take it with you to the port? Or do the ports themselves not allow you to bring the food in?

green_rd November 8th, 2011 08:47 AM

Most ports do not allow you to bring food items off the ship and vice versa. The concern is local food safety at both ends. Carnival will not pack you a lunch.

I have seen it work both ways. I have seen people bring food off the ship - nobody seems to check very carefully - and I have seen passengers lose those woven palm frond hats coming back on board.

JLI219 November 8th, 2011 09:06 AM

I'm sure there's a way you could pack a fruit into one of your bags/purse when getting off the ship!

colorcrazie November 8th, 2011 02:58 PM

It depends on the port, not the cruise line. However, I often take a hard boiled egg from the breakfast buffet. Got busted by a beagle once because I had a banana in my purse...but that was a US port. So, since fruit is the easiest thing to smell, I would not recommend it. I also take a couple of protein bars with me and those I can throw one in a backpack and not have to worry. But, I usually just end up back on the ship in time for a late lunch on deck. And, yes, Grand Cayman is outrageously expensive.
Marty

lhp November 9th, 2011 07:31 AM

There are strict rules against taking raw (unpackaged) foods off a ship.

And as guest in these ports, we need to be a good steward and follow their rules.

However, prepackaged foods are completely acceptable.

We have a son with Autism that won't just "eat anything"...so we pack prepackaged peanut butter/crackers, candy bars, chips....

you can even carry off boxed cereal from Lido.

We also time our port visits so that we can eat a big breakfast and be back in time for a late lunch. This works best for him.

Iamchip November 9th, 2011 07:21 PM

I did not know you couldn't take food off the ship! Last cruise I took ziplock bags and my gf and I both took room service sandwiches when we got off. Maybe their just lazy in Cozumel? Any one know if their lazy/diligent in Nassau? (I was planning to do the same thing)

mynameisNOTlauren November 10th, 2011 11:10 AM

We usually take extra boxes of cereal from breakfast for snacks. The odd time we've taken an apple, and like they said above, it depends on the port.

green_rd November 10th, 2011 12:33 PM

There is usually some sort of general announcement, maybe in the Fun Times, and it will be posted on one of the signs by the gangway.

sgtmomret December 17th, 2011 02:37 PM

your not allowed to take any food off at any port....now saying that it does'nt mean people don't ie bananas, apples. We took dry cereal to feed the fish when we went snorkling.

fun2cruiz December 17th, 2011 05:23 PM

Packaged items are permitted to be brought off ship while in port. Fruits are a no-no.

Personally I like to experience the different types of cuisine where I am visiting, and allow for those costs in my cruise budget.

Cruznut2 December 18th, 2011 02:48 AM

I know there are rules about fruits being taken off the ships. I do remember back in1983 and 1984 they had tours to the ruins and would pack a box lunch for those going on those tours. Not sure if they still do that now.

Laura

JoeMo December 20th, 2011 10:39 PM

We usually order a sandwich or two from room service, zip em into our ziplock baggies, carry them off in our beach bag. We NEVER take fruit off the ship in any port, as we have seen the effects of fruit flies and other vermin introduced where they don't belong.
Take only memories, leave only footprints.