CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   What passes for cruise news these days (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/386062-what-passes-cruise-news-these-days.html)

Paul Motter November 16th, 2011 07:52 PM

What passes for cruise news these days

I have noticed the cruise news scene is a little quiet these days but, really, do we NEED this to be reported? Do you care?

Cruise Ship Waiter Assaults Maitre d' on Carnival Magic
6:47 p.m. EST

A maitre d' on Carnival Magic was assaulted yesterday evening by one of the ship's dining room waiters.

In a statement provided to _________, Carnival said that "another employee witnessed the assault and held the dining room waiter until shipboard security arrived. The maitre d' is recovering and is expected to be back at work in the next day or two." The attack occurred in the main dining room during the late-seating dinner.

The dining room waiter, who was not identified, has been fired.

The line did not include information on the cause of the incident. We've e-mailed Carnival for comment.

Magic -- which is currently sailing a six-night Mexico cruise out of Galveston, the first cruise from its new Texas homeport -- has had its share of troubles this week. The new ship had to adjust its itinerary on Tuesday because one of its stern thrusters was in need of repair.

johnthed0g November 17th, 2011 06:50 AM

Somebody probably "told him what to do...."

green_rd November 17th, 2011 07:42 AM

I suppose if it happened in front of passengers it is cruise news.

Paul Motter November 17th, 2011 07:53 AM

NOt everything is "news" just because it happens in front of passengers, and in any case this says "another employee witnessed it and reported it". This is written up from a third-hand account where the original source isn't even identified.

It sounds like someone on board lost their waiter and this is what they were told.

Jamman November 17th, 2011 08:52 AM

This was mentioned on John Heald's facebook page yesterday, though he didn't identify Ken Byrne as the Maitre'D that was assaulted. I'm sure fights between crew members happen from time to time, so to answer your question, no I don't need to hear about them. But in this case I do care, since I have cruised several times with Ken, and appreciate his work as a Maitre'D and as a fine singer.

Paul Motter November 17th, 2011 09:59 AM

I think it is fine and good to care about the people you know on the ships. But to write this up as if it is serious news seems a bit over the top to me.

Share it in a message board.

Jamman November 17th, 2011 10:04 AM

Fully Agree!!

Mike M November 17th, 2011 10:39 AM

Three quarters of the news we read about cruising would not be considered "news" in any other context except that it is cruising.

This made the mainstream news because it was an "If it bleeds it leads" type of story. Crazed employee attacks boss is something that would probably make it on the news in many markets.

You never see a news story about "IT employee finishes program update to BT281" or "Teacher goes through entire day with no incidents". Now if that teacher goes ballistic and hits a student or another teacher or the IT employee goes postal then it's news.

Cruise ships are closed and a somewhat mysterious environment to most people and the cruise lines give the impression that it's one big happy family. When something happens that goes against this image it's news.

I guess the news people need to concentrate on the real news like Kim Kardashian's divorce. ;)

Take care,
Mike

Dhill November 17th, 2011 07:54 PM

What I want to know is why is this guy singing when your trying to eat.I thought he was the maitrede or however you spell it Not really a news worthy story either in my opion. And dancing waiters That hole thing seems kind of silly to me. Heck may be the guy didnt like his singing and couldnt take it no more and popped him one!;)

Phil&Liz November 20th, 2011 08:17 PM

We were on this sailing.
It was the very start early seating not late.
Crewmember was demoted and did not agree with the demotion so this was how he dealt with it.

Snoozeman November 21st, 2011 10:23 AM

Not news release news, but good cruise thread subject.
Ken is very well known to regular cruisers.

I was told incidents like this are more common than the passengers are aware. This was done in a public space so it was going to be discussed.

KayAnnie November 22nd, 2011 09:56 AM

I agree with Snoozeman that it is more newsworthy because it is such a well-known person.
As someone who tries to dig up cruise news on a weekly basis, it is often a challenge to find something that isn't just a cruise line touting some sailings for publicity.

Phil&Liz November 22nd, 2011 05:19 PM

There are lots of threads on here about injuries and deaths of passengers, and a few about crewmembers death/disappearance. Why not this ?

flowers November 22nd, 2011 08:30 PM

I don't know if this is the maitre d' who was attacked or not .. we had him on Magic for the preview and he sure had a great voice. Worth listening to for a change.

I also read this was a new employee, like he had just joined the ship. (does not quite square with above though where someone else said he was demoted).

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g1...Preview066.jpg

Jamman November 22nd, 2011 09:26 PM

That's him!!