CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Ken Byrnes Maitr'd attacked on the Magic..:( (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/386066-ken-byrnes-maitrd-attacked-magic.html)

Trip November 16th, 2011 09:42 PM

Ken Byrnes Maitr'd attacked on the Magic..:(

I just saw this and it is quite shocking..I hope Ken, who sings like an angel is soon back in the dining room singing his songs. Get well soon.....

On board the Carnival Magic, Senior Maitre'd Ken Byrne was attacked by a disgruntled waiter with a heavy iron bar... he was struck on the back of the head twice nearly knocking him unconscious. The waiter was wrestled down and held until the ship's security arrived... Ken is reported to be resting on board the ship with plans to return back to his dining room this week.

Sandy Shore Manage

snorklr45 November 16th, 2011 10:38 PM

Wow! :shock: That is terrible!! :cry: I hope he recovers well..

Mike M November 16th, 2011 11:44 PM

I can understand being mad at your boss but this is way over the line. I hope Ken recovers quickly and completely.

Take care,
Mike

Ron November 16th, 2011 11:51 PM

I have sailed a few times when Ken was the Maitre'D- I enjoyed his singing--
it was a break from the dancing waiters ! ;)
I would hate to think what the waiter may have done to a passenger if they had complained about their soup being too cold !! :shock: :shock:

shipmate November 17th, 2011 06:05 PM

We sailed with Ken several times as well and he does a nice job singing. I just wonder what triggered the fight in the first place.

Imagine what the passengers thought when they seen this happening.

skymaster November 18th, 2011 08:17 AM

BUMMER! We too, have enjoyed Kens' singing. I did read, that he's returned to work last night. (Thursday) Hope he's fully recovered!

"SKY"

Phil&Liz November 20th, 2011 08:12 PM

We were on this sailing.
Ken was expected to return on the weekend but knowing Ken he would not want the evening to be about him. He waited for the next group of passengers who will be less likely to know what happened and not make a big deal about his return.
There was no "iron bar" but a large ladle. The crewmember was demoted and did not agree with the demotion.
The crewmember was fired of course and removed from the ship.

Trip November 20th, 2011 08:19 PM

So, his original punishment was just a demotion, not fired, and, tossed off at the first port? I find that strange, considering what occurred. Glad Ken is doing better,and I bet the next group, new from nothing.

BtW. welcome home, you two were missed...Get crackin,,we want to hear all about it.

Snoozeman November 21st, 2011 09:49 AM

Ken is such a nice man.

Phiz..I may have been wrong about the ladle, it was the iron rod with a hook that they use to move hot pans from burner to burner. It looked like a ladle to the guests that saw it.

I had a center table for the 16-day Transatlantic so enjoyed Ken every night. He visited with us a LOT and told some stories of the 'old days' and his first job on a cruise ship. Ken helped me get the group two tables dead center in the MDR for the 6-day. We only got to see Ken the first night and think he did the right thing by taking it easy the rest of the cruise.

This happened just after the MDR was opened for 1st seating (JH reported 2nd) on the second night.

Phil&Liz November 21st, 2011 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1402209)
So, his original punishment was just a demotion, not fired, and, tossed off at the first port? I find that strange, considering what occurred..

No Trip, the reason the crewmember went off on Ken was because he had been demoted earlier---before the attack. He was fired and removed immediately after the incident.

Phil&Liz November 21st, 2011 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1402209)
BtW. welcome home, you two were missed...Get crackin,,we want to hear all about it.

Thank you ! We had a really realy good time. The ship is fantastic.
The issue with the thrusters messed up our hopes of visiting Costa Maya.
2 days in Progreso but to borrow a quote from Mrs. Snoozeman "we made a party out of an armpit".rofl

Trip November 21st, 2011 09:39 PM

Phewww.................!!

KayAnnie November 22nd, 2011 09:53 AM

Phil and Liz,
Thanks for posting what actually happened! Glad you were able to make Progreso work for you. (We actually picked a cruise coming up specifically for Progreso so that we can go to Chichen Itza ;) )