Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 28th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman
Default Carnival Magic Reviews and Comments

Carnival Magic Comments

I have been asked to make comments about my impression of the new Carnival Magic cruise ship since I have recently cruised on her for 23 days. I think a list is a simple and quick way to do it:

Exceeded Expectations:
Red Frog Pub
Cucina del Capitano
Water Works
Ron Pass
A Kiss Goodnight
Piano Bar (open concept and non smoking)
Mongolian Grill
Embarkation & Debarkation
Ocean Plaza concept
Desserts in Lido Marketplace
pico de gallo (surprisingly good)
Cookies
Will Marion
Guest Services Desk
Behind the FUN tour
Housekeeping Department
leche caliente at breakfast in the MDR
Face recognition computer in photo area
Waffle Station

Needs to Improve:
Thruster Problems.
Powered down at night--causing lack of air conditioning.
Mexican food tasted like Indian food.
Not near enough wait staff in MDR.
Not enough entry points to ship when in port...long lines...need more entries.
They need hand sanitizers at the computer Hub locations.

Personal Observations:
Dining room waiters and staff have far too many tables. This does not allow time for the interaction between guests that was always such an important part of the cruise experience. Too many tables slows service for many and food temperature and quality suffers. As a foodie the MDR is a very important part of the cruise.

I prefer the 8N balconies and they are smaller on the Magic than on a Conquest class ship.

I don’t think the disco show The Groove Line is a good choice for Texas. Texans were more into the Outlaws (Willie, Waylon, etc.) and Southern Rock (Allman Bros., ZZ Top, Lynard Skynyrd, etc.) than into Disco in the 1970's-80’s. Nice show, but few will want to see it more than once.

The decor is really nothing special. No ‘Wow’ factor.

Aft Lido deck: Children are allowed in pool. On most other ships this area is considered an adult only area. On the Carnival Magic the kids have the wonderful Water Works area and the main pool to swim. Can the adults not have ONE place where they will not be run down or splashed by children? I know many ladies who do not appreciate getting their hair wet from children jumping in the pool. Even Disney has an adult only pool. Also there is a very large smoking area aft and it's the only area with umbrellas. Many would like to enjoy the aft deck area but can not due to the smoke. There should be a place for smoking somewhere that doesn't exclude an entire area.

I think this ship is better enjoyed if you are with or part of a group. The folks I saw really having a good time were usually in a group. Especially in a venue like the Red Frog. One can really have FUN on this ship and I think a group or friends traveling together enhance the experience.

My Opinion:
I was very excited when it was announced that the Carnival Magic would home port in Galveston. I have to say that my overall impression is somewhat a disappointment. Not bad, just disappointed. The Magic is a great ship and I am excited about being able to sail on her; however, honestly I would really prefer a Conquest Class ship with Carnival 2.0 in Galveston over the new Carnival Magic. Just my feeling at this time. I'll sail the Magic again in March and re-evaluate.

I have three detailed reviews on my blog (too large for Cruisemates) for the Transatlantic, Welcome Ceremony, and Inaugural Texas Cruise.
Link is: Rays Cruise Blog.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.

Last edited by Snoozeman; January 7th, 2012 at 10:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old November 28th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Admiral

Very nice reviews Ray !!
58 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X3, Triumph X2, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
8 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta X2
HAL Statendam
Old November 29th, 2011, 04:31 AM
Familiar Face

Magic is still having thruster problems??? They took one off and had it fixed while we were in Rome (Oct. 7-16). I enjoyed the cruise but the ship itself wasn't as wonderful as I expected. The decor left a lot to be desired. Looked like 1950's Vegas. The stateroom was nice and comfortable.

I liked the Conquest better and New Orleans is closer to me. However, if the itinerary interested me, I would sail on the Magic again.
Old November 29th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Admiral

That about sums it up.

Carnival has gone to a 3 man system with the cabin staff and dining room staff and none of the staff like it.

Apparently, this is a case of a "beard" designing a system that has never made a bed or waited on a table.

Might look good on paper...but in reality they are FAR to rushed....

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old November 29th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Admiral

Another dislike was the closet in our cabin that had the clothes going to front to back.... what moron made that decision????

20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
Old November 29th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Admiral

Linda--yes the dining room deal is not working for passengers, it may be for them, but not the pax.

Ark--that is interesting. I heard that they were damaged in Naples sometime b4 the transatlantic.

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old December 10th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Familiar Face

OK, Now I am scared.
I have talked another couple who have never cruised before to go with us in May on the Magic. DH and I have gone on the Conquest 5 times and loved that ship. Thought this one would be better. So many changes now, with the menu, wait staff and steward.
WELL, I can only hope for the best and VACATION is what you make of it.
Thanks again for the reviews.
Nancy

Elation 2003
Celebration 2004
Conquest 2005
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2008
Conquest 2009
Conquest 2010
Magic 2012
Magic 2013
Elation 2014
Magic 2014
Old December 10th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyB View Post
OK, Now I am scared.
I have talked another couple who have never cruised before to go with us in May on the Magic. DH and I have gone on the Conquest 5 times and loved that ship. Thought this one would be better. So many changes now, with the menu, wait staff and steward.
WELL, I can only hope for the best and VACATION is what you make of it.
Thanks again for the reviews.
Nancy
Nancy, you'll have a great cruise.

I've added some things to this list and changed the wording of 'disappointed' to 'observations'. Less scary to newbie cruisers like your friends. Let me know what you think compared to the Conquest.

Future Cruises:

Last edited by Snoozeman; December 10th, 2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old December 17th, 2011, 12:14 AM
Welcome Newcomer

I'm sad that there is less interaction at dinner time with the crew; it's truly one of my favorite parts of the experience! I usually cry at the end because they make you feel like family and they made the cruise for my daughter last year who was sailing for the first time.

I'll be honest, going on a new cruise ship is like buying a new body style of a car - best to give it a year to get the kinks out; however, we booked for 3/18/12. I hope the thruster problems are worked out by then, Lord knows you can't mess with Texan's and their AC and if it's hot people will be pissed.

I'm also a little nervous about the food, I'm an extremely picky eater and normally can find something in the MDR that I like but looking at the new menus there are several days where I plan on booking the steakhouse. I'm not stoked about the Didja menus, IMO, part of the experience is a little more exotic food - not Mac and Cheese and meatloaf.

All my daughter is concerned with is if she meets the height requirement for the slides, she was an inch short on the conquest but if I put her pony tail high enough they would usually let her go down. However, one man refused and needless to say it was the last day and she had slid for 6 days already
Old December 18th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Familiar Face

Still almost a year until we're on the Magic, hope most niggles are fixed by then.
Old December 18th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Admiral

Hopefully fixed by March.

Future Cruises:
Old December 19th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman View Post
Nancy, you'll have a great cruise.

I've added some things to this list and changed the wording of 'disappointed' to 'observations'. Less scary to newbie cruisers like your friends. Let me know what you think compared to the Conquest.

I also would not want to discourage anyone from sailing the Magic, just because it wasn't one of my best cruises. It was fine...

I would sail it again tomorrow.

Old December 31st, 2011, 09:23 AM
Familiar Face

Good points, easy to tell you are a non smoker. Carnival is becoming the cutback line. We cancelled 2 cruises on Magic and have crossed all Dream class ships off our list.
Old January 7th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default it's still a clean ship - and my hammock in Cozumel awaits me...

oh boy!! ya'll are really worrin me now!!

I have been looking forward to our cruise in March on the Magic.
It's the first trip hubby and I will take without the kids.

I like things new.

My past two cruises on Conquest was nice - i have a very favorite spot on the side of the ship, outside some windows to a buffet area - to sleep in a row of deck chairs all day long..... hope i can find that on the Magic...

I just thot Conquest room furniture needed new life. I wouldnt sit on the 'couch' in the room we were in, and the table was in need of replacement.

I am worried about our stateroom - 6202 - and am seriously considering changing it.

Otherwise I am GOING ON VACATION with my husband for the first time without the kids !!!!!

Now let's all hold hands and pray.... "Lord, please let us return to a house, two dogs and both children - neither of which are harmed, in jail, or waiting upon our return to be harmed for stupid choices while we were away. Amen."

Last edited by MelaKnee; January 7th, 2012 at 09:34 PM. Reason: no sig
Old January 7th, 2012, 10:15 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelaKnee View Post
oh boy!! ya'll are really worrin me now!!

I have been looking forward to our cruise in March on the Magic.
It's the first trip hubby and I will take without the kids.

I like things new.

My past two cruises on Conquest was nice - i have a very favorite spot on the side of the ship, outside some windows to a buffet area - to sleep in a row of deck chairs all day long..... hope i can find that on the Magic...

I just thot Conquest room furniture needed new life. I wouldnt sit on the 'couch' in the room we were in, and the table was in need of replacement.

I am worried about our stateroom - 6202 - and am seriously considering changing it.

Otherwise I am GOING ON VACATION with my husband for the first time without the kids !!!!!

Now let's all hold hands and pray.... "Lord, please let us return to a house, two dogs and both children - neither of which are harmed, in jail, or waiting upon our return to be harmed for stupid choices while we were away. Amen."
Enjoy your cruise Mela and WELCOME to Cruisemates. You'll find some quiet places on the Magic. I'm on the 1st week of March and looking forward to a great cruise myself.

Future Cruises: