CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Time enough for flight? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/386593-time-enough-flight.html)

buzzzjoost December 19th, 2011 12:51 PM

Time enough for flight?

Hello everybody!

On october 1st we depart for our first cruise ever. (5days eastern carribean)
Really looking forward to that!
My question: We arrive at 08am in the morning. I can book a flight to Washington at 11:05am... Is there enough time to get to the airport (Miami) or do I book a later flight? (drawback: our next flight is at 6pm...)
We take the bus-service from Carnival to get to the airport...
Can we make it?

Best wishes,

Joost
Bruges, Belgium

Phil&Liz December 19th, 2011 02:26 PM

I would say that may be a close call. If you are sailing from FLL you have to allow for time/traffic.

Plus, unless you are getting VIP debark, you may not get off the ship til 9-930 barring any weather delays at port.

Maybe take the 6pm flight and book the ships port excursion and transfers.

If you are sailing from Miami then I would say absolutely do it.

Trip December 19th, 2011 02:32 PM

Yup, the airport makes all the difference. Miami port to Miami Aiport, no problem unless perhaps there is a customs issue onboard.

Going between the two cities would be a no...

Taking the cruiseline shuttle, the bus needs to fill up before they leave. The shuttle to the aiport, will stop at evey air carrier to allow the passengers and lugagge off...a private service is a much better option.

Mike M December 19th, 2011 02:38 PM

It is possible but you will be cutting it VERY close and have a much greater chance of missing your flight.

I would go with Phil&Liz and book the 6 p.m. flight. It is better to grumble about having to sit in the airport for four or five hours rather than grumbling about missing your flight.

One thing I have to differ from Phil&Liz about is that FLL is much faster than Miami. FLL is only a few minutes from the port while MIA is at least a 20 - 40 minute cab/bus ride.

If you must take the early flight make sure the ship knows that you need to get off early. It is possible to do self-disembarkation and be one of the first off the ship. This is fine if you only have a couple of bags and can easily handle your own luggage.

One other note: You will have to wait until the Carnival transfer bus is full before they will leave for the airport. You could save a few minutes by grabbing a cab. It will be about a $25 cab ride from the port to MIA.

Take care,
Mike

buzzzjoost December 20th, 2011 02:09 AM

Thank you very much!!

Hello again!

Thank you guys for the very usefull info!!
It made me decide that we take the late flight. Indeed, a 4 hour wait is better than missing a flight!
Can I wish everybody a very merry Christmass and a happy NewYear!
Good sailing!

Joost and Natascha
Bruges, Belgium

Trip December 20th, 2011 08:01 AM

Joost and Natascha ....Have a wonderful cruise....from Boston to your beautiful ciity, I wish you a healthy and happy holiday.