CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   How will this affect prices? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/387192-how-will-affect-prices.html)

Deakon January 20th, 2012 11:35 PM

How will this affect prices?

I was having a discussion with a couple of co-workers about the whole tragedy in Italy. They are super cruisers with 30+ cruises under their belts. (I'm very envious) and we were saying all the media coverage is pretty negative towards cruise lines. With all this negative coverage, will it scare people off and drop the price of going on a cruise?

I saw a 16 night cruise on Costa come down to $800 but I haven't seen much from the other companies. I'm curious how everyone here feels about it:

Do you think the tragedy in Italy will negatively affect cruise lines forcing them to drop their prices? Or will the cruise lines weather the storm as they always have with bad press?

Snoozeman January 21st, 2012 03:00 AM

It might drop prices in the short term.

Manuel January 21st, 2012 03:39 AM

In the long run, the effect will insignificant. But Costa will priced lower for some time to come.

TM

Master Chief January 21st, 2012 12:21 PM

IMHO it won't effect the prices at all. You do not see a drop in airline prices when you have a crash that kills a hundred or so. I believe that sensible, logical folks will see this event as an abnormally. Cruise bashers on the other hand will try and exploit the situation with as much negative press as possible. We are booked on the Carnival Dream for an Oct 2012 cruise and I have no intentions of cancelling it.

Trip January 21st, 2012 12:47 PM

I think short term, for, basically, just Costa. For first time cruisers,and, people who did cruise, but are on the fence about how they enjoyed it, they may say, been there, done that...

As mentioned in another thread, the fact of being on any European cruise, with English not being the common language, it does put one at a disadvantage, as we have just seen. You might factor that into booking, But,then again, it may not be an issue for you at all. If not grab it...there is probably not a safer time to cruise, since everbody is being hyper vigilant on safety.

flowers January 22nd, 2012 09:53 AM

Geraldo on FOX said he interviewed TAs who said people who were already scared, 1 in 10 cancelled. Remember this was people who were newbies and already scared to cruise.

So, it is having some effect. Im not saying others not there to book in their place, but some did cancel.

I got a heck of a deal on Triumph out of Galveston last week and people (real life I told about the price) were asking me if it was because of the accident, and I said I doubt it. I think the price was already only $10 higher the weekend it happened, and just went lower until the ship filled. Leaving next sunday.

Fern January 22nd, 2012 08:45 PM

Unfortunately(for those of us who'd love a "cheap" cruise), since the cruise lines know that those of us who love to cruise won't be cancelling or scared away, I don't think there will any lowering of prices :-|.

Costa may lower their prices, but I doubt that any other line's will.

I'd be very happy to see a "cheap" cruise :D! Let us know if you find one!

inv106 January 25th, 2012 11:50 AM

I agree prices will not change much.