CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Sailing the Magic in 5 days and got a question. (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/387426-sailing-magic-5-days-got-question.html)

caribediver January 31st, 2012 06:16 PM

Sailing the Magic in 5 days and got a question.

DW, DS & I are on the Magic this Sunday and I was wondering about Grand Cayman tender service. We have booked an excursion on our own that meets at 9:40am. The itinerary states we get in at 7am but, I keep hearing about the nightmare on the Magic regarding tendering and how people aren't getting to the island until 11am or later. Anyone been on the Magic and have any info on this and what time they began tendering? THX:)

caribediver February 1st, 2012 01:41 PM

C'mon folks. 55 responses to places to have sex on the ship but noone can answer my question?:confused:

lhp February 1st, 2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caribediver (Post 1413102)
C'mon folks. 55 responses to places to have sex on the ship but noone can answer my question?:confused:

Actually, since the Magic has only been sailing this route a couple of months....there are not a lot of folks who have experienced this and even less that post on cruise forums.

We have been on the Magic...but it did not go to Grand Cayman.

With that many folks getting off the ship, I would allow at least 2 hours to be on the safe side.

Trip February 1st, 2012 09:09 PM

It seems to me that an excursion booked at that time, would be doable, but not doing a ships ecursion, might be the glitch. I too was on the Magic, but in Europe...we had no issues getting off the ship, for early excursions....good luck & enjoy this fun ship.

Fern February 1st, 2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caribediver (Post 1413102)

:D:D

No one can answer your question because tendering from the ship (any ship) is dependent on so many variables. If the ship arrives on time and the tendering operation starts as scheduled (do NOT count on this in Grand Caymen, we've missed this port before because of rough seas!), the first people off the ship will be those with ship sponsored shore excursions. If they get off ASAP you'll probably have plenty of time to meet your private excursion. A good private excursion operator will be aware of what's going on and wait for you. I'd suggest you contact them for more information.

caribediver February 2nd, 2012 08:42 AM

I have cruised over 20 times and have been to GC 5 times. I usually cruise RCI and they give out tender tickets in the morning to let you know which group you are in. This being our 1st Carnival cruise I was curious as to how they operate. And as far as booking our own excursion, we always do as I don't pay extra just to go through the cruise line. I do however, feel it isn't fair to the other passengers with private excursions that they allow the people with Carnival booked excursions get off first. I feel you should have to show docs that you have "an excursion booked" whether you booked Carnival or not and be allowed to tender in the first groups.

Juggaloves February 2nd, 2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caribediver (Post 1413195)
I have cruised over 20 times and have been to GC 5 times. I usually cruise RCI and they give out tender tickets in the morning to let you know which group you are in. This being our 1st Carnival cruise I was curious as to how they operate. And as far as booking our own excursion, we always do as I don't pay extra just to go through the cruise line. I do however, feel it isn't fair to the other passengers with private excursions that they allow the people with Carnival booked excursions get off first. I feel you should have to show docs that you have "an excursion booked" whether you booked Carnival or not and be allowed to tender in the first groups.

Well not to be argumentative but isn't that what the people who do pay the extra to book through carnival are paying for? If you want to save money and book pivate (like i always do ;)) you're passing up the benefits of booking through Carnival, like priority disembarkation.
Anywho I was at Grand Cayman on the Valor in 2008 we left the ship around 9 and there was only about a 15 minute wait for the tender. I'm going back in November, can't wait. 7 mile beach here I come!

caribediver February 2nd, 2012 12:33 PM

Sorry to dissappoint but, it doesn't state anywhere in the excursion contract that you are paying extra in order to get priority debarkation. It shouldn't matter who I book my excursion through as long as I have one booked and it is scheduled at a certain time. Again, my original post was about if anyone had info on the recent debarkation process on the Magic in GC. THX