Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 26th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Some islands/ports do have different perceptions for levels of safety, even when you think you take all the precautions,as in the case of the teen on a bus, from a ships excursion, in St. Thomas. The occaisional and random violence
we hear about is frightening, but, the level of violence we hear about in Mexico, with the cartels,massacres & gang violence imposes a deeper level of worry, thinking, I can visit another itinerary. Taking ships excursions, does not up the safety factor, as we know now,many times over.

I wonder for the vacationing, and ex pats there, are you just not hearing and seeing what makes news here? Is there absolutey no thread of worry if you travel around outside of your locale? We know from what Chuck Palm tells us, he does feel safe though, as does Ine.

Who would think there is an area, of Bermuda, that tourists should stay away from, yet there is. This is a link to a tragedy, that happened there. Cetainly, I am not comparing the level of incidents between the ports, but, just a comment, that bad things happen in what we all consider paradise.
Bermuda reviews Canadian girl's killing=

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 26th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Some islands/ports do have different perceptions for levels of safety, even when you think you take all the precautions,as in the case of the teen on a bus, from a ships excursion, in St. Thomas. The occaisional and random violence
we hear about is frightening, but, the level of violence we hear about in Mexico, with the cartels,massacres & gang violence imposes a deeper level of worry, thinking, I can visit another itinerary. Taking ships excursions, does not up the safety factor, as we know now,many times over.

I wonder for the vacationing, and ex pats there, are you just not hearing and seeing what makes news here? Is there absolutey no thread of worry if you travel around outside of your locale? We know from what Chuck Palm tells us, he does feel safe though, as does Ine.

Who would think there is an area, of Bermuda, that tourists should stay away from, yet there is. This is a link to a tragedy, that happened there. Cetainly, I am not comparing the level of incidents between the ports, but, just a comment, that bad things happen in what we all consider paradise.
Bermuda reviews Canadian girl's killing=
I agree with almost everything..However if the best anyone can do is scrape up a crime that is 16 YEARS OLD Then I still will take my chances and still call Bermuda Paradise.
Old February 26th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

As I mentioned....Certainly, I am not comparing the level of incidents between the ports, but, just a comment, that bad things happen, in what we all consider paradise..

Until the cruiselines pull out completely, the ships will sail away, some will be a tad nervous,and many, won't have a care in the world. ;-)

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 26th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
As I mentioned....Certainly, I am not comparing the level of incidents between the ports, but, just a comment, that bad things happen, in what we all consider paradise..

Until the cruiselines pull out completely, the ships will sail away, some will be a tad nervous,and many, won't have a care in the world. ;-)
Now that I agree with. The cruise lines should find alternate ports if ports become to dangerous, and not just stop a particular tour.
Old February 26th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

I think stopping the tour vs. skipping the port altogether is appropriate for now. Up until now, many claimed PV as perfectly safe. That particular tour (and the incident) occurred outside of the main tourist area of PV and perhaps the lines need to rethink the excursions and not go to the remote areas and stay in the main resort/tourist areas. Sure things can happen in the more populated areas, but it is less likely to occur.

As mentioned crime is everywhere, and there is most likely gangs and drug activity at every port that a cruise stops at (yes, even Bermuda has gangs and drug activity). There are many cities in the US where the crime rate per 100K is higher than in Tijuana. Sometimes tourists visiting the US are killed.

The main thing is just because there isn't a lot of violence against tourist in a country, doesn't mean there never will be. No matter where you go, you should always have some common sense and not wander out alone or in any areas that just look particularly bad.
Old February 27th, 2012, 04:57 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default web2.0 blogsite lis

.Cruise lines stopped some ports due to violence in the region. They start it back up and the crime continues.be find

Last edited by Trip; February 27th, 2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old February 27th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Admiral

Youíre talking with many seasoned travelers here on the board and I would say that most would not put themselves in danger. Acapulco was bad in 1980 when I spent the month of February there and most people know itís not a safe place to go especially today. However there are many safe places you can go in Mexico that hold no more threat than in a big city here in the States. When thereís a travel advisory for certain parts of countries the cruise ship should not offer excursions and itís up to people to do the research on what safe and whatís not. Like I mention in an earlier post I did look for the videos and as far as the Rivera Maya & Cancun area they were all old. Iím sure I could find a few people warning of the danger but for the most part I think the US travel advisories are a good source of information.

Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old February 27th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
Youíre talking with many seasoned travelers here on the board and I would say that most would not put themselves in danger. Acapulco was bad in 1980 when I spent the month of February there and most people know itís not a safe place to go especially today. However there are many safe places you can go in Mexico that hold no more threat than in a big city here in the States. When thereís a travel advisory for certain parts of countries the cruise ship should not offer excursions and itís up to people to do the research on what safe and whatís not. Like I mention in an earlier post I did look for the videos and as far as the Rivera Maya & Cancun area they were all old. Iím sure I could find a few people warning of the danger but for the most part I think the US travel advisories are a good source of information.
Do you really know the dark side of Cancun....and many other tourist spots in Mexico ?
As reported by the newspaper USA TODAY...The Mayor of Cancun Gregory Sanchez has been arrested on Drug charges, money laundering and organized drug cartel involvement.

In all so far 12 mayors have been arrested for involvement with the La Familia drug cartel....A major percentage of policia are bought by bribery (Well known fact)..that if you call the police for help there is a good chance you will not find justice.

Go to Mexico if you want...However Dont try to paint a rosey picture of Mexico...P.S...do you really think the travel advisory is correctr on all accounts ?????
Old February 27th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

buttons...you've made your point several times. If you answer every single post with the same message people begin to tune you out.

We know you're not going to cruise to Mexico, but geez, we are adults here and can make our own decision as to if we want to go. I'm going next week and planning on having fun. Besides, I need a haircut.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old February 27th, 2012, 07:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons16 View Post
Do you really know the dark side of Cancun....and many other tourist spots in Mexico ?
You could say that about every major city in the US. Boston, NY, LA, Miami, Chicago, Philly, etc... All cities/countries have a dark side.

Quote:
As reported by the newspaper USA TODAY...The Mayor of Cancun Gregory Sanchez has been arrested on Drug charges, money laundering and organized drug cartel involvement.

In all so far 12 mayors have been arrested for involvement with the La Familia drug cartel....A major percentage of policia are bought by bribery (Well known fact)..that if you call the police for help there is a good chance you will not find justice.
The US also has its fair share of corrupt politicians. The Mayor of Providence, RI was found guilty of assault and was forced to resign.

He then ran for mayor and was elected. Several years federal charges were filed against him for racketeering, conspiracy, extortion, witness tampering, and mail fraud. He was found guilty for racketeering conspiracy (running a criminal enterprise).

That is just one example. Corrupt politicians are everywhere.

Quote:
Go to Mexico if you want...However Dont try to paint a rosey picture of Mexico...P.S...do you really think the travel advisory is correctr on all accounts ?????
On the flip side, I wouldn't paint ALL of Mexico as a risky place and one that you are even lucky to come back home alive from. The cruise lines will skip the ports or pull out of Mexico completely if they feel it becomes too dangerous. They certainly don't want to be in the news.

I'll be cruising there in September and can't wait.

Last edited by hockeynut; February 27th, 2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old February 28th, 2012, 12:06 AM
Admiral

Quote:

I do believe the US Department of State would clearly state to its citizens to avoid the area if they found them unsafe for its citizens to visit just like they have when it comes to other parts in Mexico or other countries . Could something happen....sure, but for now I feel safe in Cancun, however I would be on alert just like anywhere I travel. I do see so many people who think just because their on vacation nothing bad can happen.
Mexico
http://news.travel.aol.com/2010/10/1...ces-in-cancun/

Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014

Last edited by Aerogirl; February 28th, 2012 at 12:18 AM.
Old February 28th, 2012, 01:15 AM
Admiral

Not trying to stir the pot nor engage anyone in a debate-- but we did have another school shooting here in the U.S . today-- just serves to remind us all that crime is everywhere.
With regards to Mexico, on the news tonight they interviewed a travel agent re / the up-coming spring break and Mexico. He stated his agency was telling college kids about the crime in the areas of western Mexico and Acapulco. He also said after telling them, they were having them sign waivers documenting that they had been forewarned and were also following up with parents, all in order to protect themselves against lawsuits in case some kids still go to some of those places. He went on to say that Cancun was safe and they weren't requiring any signed waivers for there-- Not my opinion one way or another--just what the T.A. was saying on the news.
Happy sails to all, watch you wife, your back and your own shadow !!
Old February 28th, 2012, 02:35 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman View Post
Here's an amazing statistic.

Of all the violent deaths in the entire world (non natural deaths) a full ⅓ are in Mexico.

That's ⅓ of ALL the violent deaths in the world. In one country. Our neighbor. Mexico.
Mexico deserves to lose the tourist/cruiser dollars. Not only can they not provide safe drinking water for their own citizens they can't provide basic safety for visitors to their nation. Mexico is a failed state, filled with incompetence and corruption It has been disintegrating -- rotting from within for years. A once beautiful country with wonderful people -- now sadly all that is gone. I have been there many times. I will never go back.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old February 28th, 2012, 02:44 AM
Admiral

Hockeynut, you are blinded by your rose colored glasses.
the problems in Mexico vastly exceed those in almost any other civilized nation. Mexico has a very long way to go to rejoin the civilized world. and there is no indication that it is making any strides in that direction.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old February 28th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Cruise Maniac

I am often so surprised by reactions of people about Mexico - in this case Puerto Vallarta - who havenot even been there.
First of all many places have drinking water, but westerners often donot like the taste. So they buy water.
We are (again) for a 4 montsh winterstay in Puerto vallarta.
This robbery was unfortunate but noboday was hurt! It could have taken place in many places of the world. According interviews on US TV with some of the victims it aparantly took place in the mountains -outside the city - while they were hiking there (not IN the bus) and it was done by 1 man with a gun.
Yesterday I drove friends around in our car along the coast to the botanical gardens with many stops enroute. Saturday we made the nice drive into the mountains to San Sebastian.
Sundaynight was as busy as ever on the Malecon with locals and tourists. Free concert, people were dancing on the square. Everybody is having a great time without any worries.
When coming home we heard about the unfortunate shooting on the highschool.
Old February 28th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Admiral

My daughter just returned from there ,NO PROBLEMS.
Old March 6th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

I didn't read all the post since everyone has their own opinion.

Living in Ca. we do the Mexico trips often because we live in San Diego and 1.5 hrs to LA. Other than Mexico, I don't think that CA has other cruises to other countries out of here except possible Hawaii. We have done Alaska a few times but have had to go to Seattle.

I guess it they shut down the Mexico run then I will have to do something else or plan on flying somewhere else to catch the ship but then again, that double my cost for the trip. Flying is not cheap anymore. We sailed the Dream this past Oct and the airfare was 1/2 of what the cruise was.

Speaking for ourselves we have never had a problem in Mexico and also have a time share there and have been going down there for over 20 years but of course there is always the first time. Last Friday, just got back from a 5 day cruise to Cabo. Weather was awesome!
Nov.2005 CCL - Spirit
Aug.2007 PCL - Crown Princess
Feb.2008 CCL - Spirit
Oct.2009 CCL - Elation
Jan.2010 CCL - Splender
Feb.2011 CCL - Spirit (Cabo)
Jul. 2011 CCL -Spirit (Alaska)
Oct.2011 CCL- Dream-(W.Caribbean)
Feb.2012 CCL - Spirit ( Cabo)
Dec. 2012 CCL- Splendor ( Cabo)