CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Carnival Splendor (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/387944-carnival-splendor.html)

maddashin February 25th, 2012 08:15 PM

Carnival Splendor

A friend has asked me to do the South American cruises on the Splendor.

I have not heard good things about Carnival. Can anyone give me information.

I cruised Royal Carribean, Celebrity and Princess.

Celebrity Constellation was my favorite and the best food.

I don t want to be on ship with lots of kids. I cannot imagine a cruise to South America would have that many children.

How is the food? Ocean view cabins? Balcony cabins?

Thanks

Moiraine February 25th, 2012 09:01 PM

I did the the Mexican Riviera on the Splendor in 2010 in an Oceanview cabin. I loved the ship. I had a wonderful cruise. John Heald was the CD. He is the best entertainment Carnival has. The food was all right but nothing to brag about. Try the chocolate melting cake in the MDR. Yummy. As for Carnival in general, if you go in thinking you'll dislike it..you will.

maddashin February 25th, 2012 09:18 PM

Thanks for the reply. My daughter just came back from the Dream I believe and she loved it. I am reading more and more to stick with cruises longer than three days to get a better crowd.

I just fell in love with Celbrity. Everything was so great. Food was so good. I went on the Carib Princess and Hayes everything about it. And all I did was hear great things. RCL was fantastic too. But, the crowd on Celebrity was top notch. They had lectures etc. Not paper airplane contests.

I can t imagine running into a bad crowd on this cruise. I am just checking because it will be 47 days at sea.

Moiraine February 25th, 2012 09:24 PM

No, I doubt if you'll run into a bad crowd. If you were going Spring Break it would be a different story. :wink: The ship itself is nice. The cabin stewards...well, that's the luck of the draw, really. I had a wonderful cabin steward on the Carnival Conquest and an adequate one on the Splendor. So, you never know. I think you'll enjoy the ship itself. I do hope you'll have a good time.

big apple February 26th, 2012 07:14 PM

We took the Splendor on its 49 day cruise from Ft Lauderdale to San Francisco and the ports are absolutely fantastic. The main production shows will be repeated however other entertainment boarded at different ports.Food was great and plenty to do on the ship There are numerous port days spread out nicely.Would suggest that you do your homework on booking many tours outside of the ship as this will be expensive enough.We were fortunate enough to be in Rio the week before Carnival and this place is something else during this time of the year.We had an outside room not balcony and very satisfied with this arrangement.We had a large contingent from a large travel club in Fla. and were able to book many of our tours with them. Do see they are putting a group together for this cruise also.Since this is the longest cruise that Carnival does you will get an more mature group and very few children.Go fot and have a great time and you will not be sorry.