Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 28th, 2012, 01:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

Question Choosing a cabin

I absolutely will not accept a guarantee. It costs more and I can't have a forward cabin - something people who had guarantees have complained about getting in the past. But I also don't think it matters which side of the ship I am on for a 3-day closed loop cruise. How do I choose a cabin number if only "aft on Riviera deck" matters?

Looking forward to cruising!

Read and post cruise reviews

Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2012, 07:53 AM
Administrator
Admiral

The best thing I can tell you is to stay away from a cabin that is directly under the galley or dining room. Being under a lounge or disco may also be undesirable.

The best is to have cabins above and below you.

Check out the deck plans before you book. They can be found on the Carnival website.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 29th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Captain

Guarantees dont cost more. In fact they are less. If you are worried about being forward then buy a specific cabin but be prepared to pay the price. Depending on where you are going and what time of year it is, being forward may be less intrusive than you think it will be. If they were all bad the cruiselines would discount them.
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Old February 29th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Actually, booking a guarantee catagory cabin will cost a bit less than booking a specific cabin number. If you do not want to be in a certain area, you can book a catagory that does not have cabins forward. Just check out the deck plans and the different color catagories and book a guarantee catagory that will fit the bill. Otherwise, talk to your travel agent and see what specific cabins are available and go from there.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 29th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

If I am not mistaken, Riviera Aft is usually located underneath the Horizon Court which is the buffet area. I would go with the second deck below the Horizon Court. As previously mentioned, it is best to have cabins above and below.
Old March 1st, 2012, 07:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by briguy View Post
Guarantees dont cost more. In fact they are less. If you are worried about being forward then buy a specific cabin but be prepared to pay the price. Depending on where you are going and what time of year it is, being forward may be less intrusive than you think it will be. If they were all bad the cruiselines would discount them.
October is still hurricane season so I do not want to book a cabin that is bad in tropical storms. Also, because it is my first cruise and Carnival is cheap, I am willing to pay for a better location.

Guarantee bookings are more expensive than the early savings fare. If I book tomorrow, I only pay about $580 including taxes and fees for an oceanview cabin with two people. But if I book a guarantee, it will cost a lot more than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden1 View Post
If I am not mistaken, Riviera Aft is usually located underneath the Horizon Court which is the buffet area. I would go with the second deck below the Horizon Court. As previously mentioned, it is best to have cabins above and below.
Riviera deck is the lowest one for passengers. There are three cabin decks above it. So the location of the buffet has absolutely no effect on noise in those cabins.

My travel agent thinks it is better to not be on the lowest deck because of vibration and also has heard complaints from other passengers about noise in cabins near elevators. So now instead of 6A, I am looking at 6C on Main deck (midship). I will let him pick the cabin number, but not upgrade it.

Looking forward to cruising!

Read and post cruise reviews

Old March 1st, 2012, 08:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I will touch on these points....I was on the Magic,last spring in a forward cabin,and had a supberb ride, no issues.... maybe different than, an older ship....I have also had a Riviera cabin on the Liberty, again no vibrations or other issues.

And I would also add, I too, have never heard of a guarentee being higher priced than booking your choice of cabins.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 9th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Admiral

The best cabins are mid ship, not far from an elevator and on low decks, Rivera or main for less motion. The cabins in the front can be hard to sleep when the waves are hitting the front of the ship, the cabins in the aft or rear can be annoying due to vibrations and sound of anchor dropping.
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Old March 9th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Admiral

Where does the ships Captain sleep ?
Old March 9th, 2012, 10:52 PM
First Mate

have been on 60 cruises and most of the time have taken guarantee which gives you an opportunity for an upgrade and you will never get less than what you paid for and on a Holland cruise last year I was upgraded to a suite from an obstructed view If you are into a location on a given deck than do not choose this option.
Old March 20th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by briguy View Post
Guarantees dont cost more. In fact they are less.
OP may be looking at ES vs a rate with gtys. In most cases ES costs less than any of the rates which have gtys if they are booking out a ways.

OP on Riveria deck, just get as midship as you can if your choices are all aft and Riveria deck ..

Since several of you say you are not aware that a rate picking you cabin could be less, I'm guessing a lot of you here dont book ES?
Old March 20th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Familiar Face

I don't think the noises will bother me, I just want somewhere that is convenient and not at one end or the other where I'll have to walk a lot. I don't even care for a sea view as I plan to use my cabin for sleeping.