Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 18th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Send a message via Yahoo to beebold
Question Noise in the Dream Main Dining Room?

My family of 5 is going on our very first cruise in May, aboard the Dream. It will be me, my husband, and my 3 daughters (then 18, 17, & 11). We are booked for early dining.

My husband is a 2 time combat veteran and has some hearing difficulty due to a little run in with an IED in Fallujah. He is ok in most situations but in crowded rooms with a lot of background noise, such as conversations, dinner noises, clickimg china, etc., he gets extremely uncomfortable because he can't hear. I end up spending dinner talking into his ear trying to keep him comfortable.

Is there a way we can request a quieter place in the MDR, if any?

Thanks in advance!
Melissa
Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Yes. You should have no problem asking your TA to request a table for your family in an area in one of the further areas of the dining room.

They could even contact the special needs department in advance to make the request clear.

If for some reason it didn't work, contact the restaurant Maitre D on board, and they will find you a table in a quieter area of the dining room.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 18th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Captain

Usually the first seating is at capacity and the second is not. That might help as well, plus I usually find the later seating is easier if you plan on going into port. Don't have to worry about missing dinner and having to eat in the buffet.

Ex. The day you are in St. Thomas the ship departs at 8pm. In order to be back on ship, dressed and clean for first dinner, you'll need to be on board by 5pm. Also if you do a full day shore excursion it may not have you back on time. If your just going to shop or hit a beach this will not be an issue.
Old March 18th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I honestly don't think your husband will have a major problem in the MDR, it is not that noisy....

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 18th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Admiral

Donna, I'm sorry to disagree , but we find the dining room very noisy.

When we go, I sit next to my DH's "good" ear so I can tell him what's being said when he misses it. I also have a slight hearing loss and it's a problem for me, too . Sometimes we both miss what's being said!

Melissa, thanks to your DH for his service . I'd suggest that you get used to (unobtrusively) "talking in his ear" if there's no way to fix his hearing. It will become routine after a while. Also, try to make sure that he doesn't mind asking people to repeat what they said, especially the waiter, who may have an accent and be hard to understand.

I do agree that you should ask for a "quieter" part of the dining room, but even that will have people talking and dishes clinking.

Have a wonderful cruise,

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old March 29th, 2012, 05:03 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Yes ofcourse if you have a problem, you should report to the MDR as they would get you shifted to some less noisy place. You can definitely complain them as you have every right to enjoy your cruise trip.

Last edited by Kuki; March 29th, 2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old March 29th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Admiral

I have to agree that the dining rooms aboard "Dream" do seem a bit more noisy than some of the other ships. (Maybe we just had a more "robust" crowd aboard when we have cruised "Dream"). In any case, if there is a problem, just ask the Maitre'd if there is a more quiet table, and explain the problem, and I'm sure he'll accommodate you. I certainly understand the problem. I was an EOD tech in the Marine Corps! Be sure to thank your husband for his extraordinary service, and sacrifice!

"SKY"