CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Mahogany Bay (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/388436-mahogany-bay.html)

mazeke March 24th, 2012 11:31 AM

Mahogany Bay

I have read a few reviews about Mahogany Bay.It seems the common thread is if there is more than one ship at Mahogany Bay then it is very crowded.We are scheduled to be there with 2 Carnival ships. Also read about the problem with sand fleas. Is it a good spot for snorkeling? I would appreaciate hearing from people who have been there- about the sand fleas, being crowded,and the snorkeling.

Snoozeman March 24th, 2012 11:58 AM

I guess it depends on the size of the two ships. Mahogany Bay is designed for two ships as far as space, shops, area, etc.

I didn't have problems with sand fleas, I guess I don't attract them, but they did bother some friends. Didn't snorkel, but it's not the best spot. They do have zip line on site, that is nice. It's very easy if your not going elsewhere on the island. It is VERY clean, has some nice shopping, beach, close to ship, and some bars as well!

ruthlessboss March 24th, 2012 12:22 PM

I was there, but mostly shopped. One thing I noticed is you need to pass a gate with your ship I.D. on it. I'm guessing it to keep other passengers out from other cruiselines at the other dock.

Snoozeman March 24th, 2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruthlessboss (Post 1421932)
I was there, but mostly shopped. One thing I noticed is you need to pass a gate with your ship I.D. on it. I'm guessing it to keep other passengers out from other cruiselines at the other dock.

I think that's to keep the locals out. They will let in any tourist that's willing to spend $.

nlb1050 March 24th, 2012 01:43 PM

Been to Roatan twice but never to that peir.

The absolute best snorkeling is at Tabeyana (sp) Bay. There is a reef right at the beach and is fantastic. Take the ship excursion to there.

mazeke March 24th, 2012 04:35 PM

Thanks everyone for the info and the suggestions!

cruised1014 March 26th, 2012 07:57 PM

Mahogany Bay

I snorkled at Mahogany Bay and it was great. Walk all the way down past all the bars and there is a long pier. There are some sunken structures to see with lot's of fish. I will post the web site for you and click on Port Schedule to see if there are one or two ships the day that you are there. Have a great cruise . Ed

Mahogany Bay Cruise Center

Snoozeman March 26th, 2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruised1014 (Post 1422171)
I snorkled at Mahogany Bay and it was great. Walk all the way down past all the bars and there is a long pier. There are some sunken structures to see with lot's of fish. I will post the web site for you and click on Port Schedule to see if there are one or two ships the day that you are there. Have a great cruise . Ed

Mahogany Bay Cruise Center

Thanks for the information..looks like you can do almost everything there. Do they have snorkel gear rental?

flowers March 31st, 2012 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nlb1050 (Post 1421936)
Been to Roatan twice but never to that peir.

The absolute best snorkeling is at Tabeyana (sp) Bay. There is a reef right at the beach and is fantastic. Take the ship excursion to there.

I agree with you. The beach at this port is so fantastic, why would someone just stay at Mahagany Bay, which is so touristy, prices are double. I much much prefer the port where RCL ships come in where you can find bargains, near a internet cafe.

Get Victor Bodden's people to show you this beautiful island. Its so gorgeous.

I was so dissapointed in Mahogany Bay after coming into the old port several years in a row. Get out and go to a grocery store and buy some coffee, visit West End. The water is so crystal clear.

showcat April 1st, 2012 09:41 PM

I loved Roatan went with NCL Spirit not sure if that is the same pier or not, we did an excursion to Parrot bay resort all inclusive, beautiful man made beach inlet just inside a rocky coast, nothing to see there snorkeling no sand fleas. If I go again I plan to do Victor Bodden tours since I'm an animal lover. Wonderful port very beautiful island go explore!

Snoozeman April 1st, 2012 10:17 PM

I was on the first regularly scheduled cruise ship to ever call on Roatan. The blue paint with date is (barely) still visable on the pier from the ceremony. I look for it every time I am there. The ship called at Coxen Hole. The locals did not know how to approach the passengers, very different from today. Roatan didn't get many cruise ships for many years as one of the few ways to get there was to sail out of Houston (not Galveston) on NCL's Texaribbean cruise. For several years you would drink beer in the living rooms or porches of houses near the pier. Wasn't much set up for tourists. Now of course they have lot's of things and tours for cruise guests. To be honest the island is much cleaner now than it was in the early days. Tourism became very important and many improvements have been made. It is a beautiful island and I have done almost everything there is to do on Roatan. Now it's 50/50 if I even get off the ship. Mahogany Bay is great for those that want an easy way to experience the island. Tabyana beach (photo) is wonderful, one of the best in the Caribbean.

https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/im...U-qO1onDl6SKV-

flowers April 2nd, 2012 09:49 AM

When I went to Roatan January 2008, the taxi driver could not really speak English. We kept stopping so he could translate what I was asking for, like I wanted to buy a pound of coffee and he kept wanting to take me to buy a cup of coffee. And internet cafe was beyond his english. He took us to a condo being built that had the most beautiful water (see the photo), and women were still walking the roads with loads of baskets on their heads. I was kind of sad for the changes because of the ships myself.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g1...Picture062.jpg

Here is the old port spread out. Notice all the school buses, no a/c they used for RCL excursions?

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g1...Picture048.jpg

Here is my non English speaking taxi driver we used to tour the island the first time.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g1...Picture059.jpg

All the green and mountains reminded me of Hawaii where I used to live.

Snoozeman April 2nd, 2012 11:19 AM

I'll have to pay better attention to the exact date next time I'm at Coxen Hole, but I believe it was October of 1997 when the NCL Star began her itinerary that included Roatan. The pier wasn't as big (parking) as your photo and it was very primitive.....

cruisingrandma April 2nd, 2012 01:48 PM

:-D We were in Roatan little over a week ago. I have to tel u... It was the most beauitful place I have seen in forever! Loved it. Great Beach and great shopping all in one. No sand fleas for any of our group. Just so much fun and didnt want to leave there. Did the carnival excursion for the Lift chair to the beacha nd shopping. OMG.. Just do it. so much fun.:cool: