Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 15th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Admiral

Question Carnival PVP

Does anyone here use a Carnival PVP? If so can you tell me the advantages?

[edited by moderator - we would not allow a travel agent to solicit business here and so we can't allow Carnival PVPs to do the same - sorry!]

Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2012, 03:17 PM
First Mate

We use ***edited by moderator**. She has always been good to us. Have used her for last 8 cruises. Good luck.

Last edited by Kuki; April 16th, 2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old April 15th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Admiral

Thanks Thom!

Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old April 15th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Admiral

Thom I would love to hear more about what your PVP has done for you? Would you recommend that over a generic TA?

I find, lately, that everytime I visit the carnival website, I get a phone call or email from a PVP. It's good marketing on their part, but feels a little stalkerish to me.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old April 15th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Does your PVP send you a gift on every sailing?

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old April 15th, 2012, 09:21 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville View Post
Thom I would love to hear more about what your PVP has done for you? Would you recommend that over a generic TA?

I find, lately, that everytime I visit the carnival website, I get a phone call or email from a PVP. It's good marketing on their part, but feels a little stalkerish to me.
OK, here is what I can say. The last time I used a TA was before I retired in 2004 and that was our company TA that arranged all travel (business and personal) for us. After we moved to Florida in 2006, I called Carnival about something (I can't remember what it was; guess old age is finally creeping in). I taked to Pat Braun and found her to be most helpful. I am over 55, retired military, Florida resident and a past Carnival cruiser. She is always sure to cover all bases when we discuss cruises, and always makes sure we get the best rates. The discount categories listed above vary in pricing from day to day. Sometimes one or two are cheaper than another. She always gives all the prices and then we decide on what we want to book.

And to answer Snoozeman,as far as her sending us any goodies, she usually gets us a bottle of wine in the room on embarkation but not always. And since we are Platinum, we get the in room goodies during the cruise. In addition she calls from time to time with great deals on short notice cruises, usually leaving within the week. We haven't done one yet but may do so next year.

Since we haven't used a TA since retirement I really can't say if that would be better than using a PVP. IMHO, we have been satisfied with our PVP so that's who we use.

Didn't mean to be so long winded but I wanted to touch all our bases in the answer.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it:-D
Old April 16th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Admiral

Thanks Thom - your reply is helpful.

Do you think you get extra perks (eg. OBC or upgrades) from your PVP that you might not get from a TA.

To me the advantage of a TA is that they can help you accross all cruise lines. My TA is wonderfully helpful, but her agency does not give a lot in the way of OBC. I'm wondering if I should work with a PVP to get OBC or other perks and then transfer to my TA. [I know I can, but I'm wondering if I should]. And I wonder if a PVP would be less likely to give perks or even work with me, if I routinely transfer to a TA after booking.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old April 16th, 2012, 03:58 PM
First Mate

The phone number for my PVP was edited out (I understand why). But you can send me a personal note.
Old April 16th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chief View Post
The phone number for my PVP was edited out (I understand why). But you can send me a personal note.
Yup .. and anyone wanting to respond to the poster's question can feel free to do it via DM or Email.

I will say, I don't really get it. While no doubt there are some decent PVPs, I would never want to book with someone who works directly for the cruise line, instead of for me.

That said, there's also bad travel agents.

I'd also never book my cruise with a corporate travel agent. Often they, like PVPs, have never been on a ship.

Find a great travel agent, who specializes in cruises, and is CLIA certified (which PVPs are not), and you'll be "in love"... and if anything goes wrong you have someone representing your interest instead of Carnival's.

Fact is NO PVP can offer a better deal than any travel agent. Most travel agents offer the exact same deals (because of Carnival's policy not allowing discounting). Many agents will offer some other incentives.

If ANY travel agent is quoting higher than cruise lines rates, RUN away!!
Old April 16th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

This question has gone back and forth for years now,and, honestly I still don't get it. What exactlly does a PVP do for a client, that a good travel agent, wouldn't do and more?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 16th, 2012, 06:54 PM
First Mate

In responding to both Kuki and Trip, you are absolutely correct. No PVP can offer a better price than a TA. But on the other hand, no TA can offer a better price than a PVP. TAs can ( and most do) offer other incentives. I guess it all comes down to who you feel comfortable with. As for me, until my PVP does me wrong, I will stay with her. :-)
Old April 16th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chief View Post
In responding to both Kuki and Trip, you are absolutely correct. No PVP can offer a better price than a TA. But on the other hand, no TA can offer a better price than a PVP. TAs can ( and most do) offer other incentives. I guess it all comes down to who you feel comfortable with. As for me, until my PVP does me wrong, I will stay with her. :-)
Absolutely.. if you're happy, I wouldn't tell you not to be

Awhile back I wrote an article about how a PVP called me because I had visited the Carnival web site. So, they are obviously being given contact leads by the company, which if I were a TA I'd be livid about.

Secondly, the PVP who called me, after I told them I have an agent, went on to tell me they could get me better deals than a travel agent could. FLAGRANT LIE.

After the article appeared I did get an email from Carnival telling me that is against company policy.... but they obviously hadn't told the PVP.

I HATE any type of telephone soliciting, and think what Carnival is doing, tracking customers, and then soliciting by telephone is unethical.

As I said, there's no doubt there are some good PVPs. But they are not trained, and there's no requirement for them to have cruised for them to be hired.

Though Carnival is a member of CLIA, their pvps are not required to take the program from CLIA which would make the accredited cruise counsellors. So, imho that makes most of them much less knowegable than those who are trained as more than sales people.

One thing that exists is people often mistakenly think the services of a travel agent are going to cost them extra. They are paid by the cruise lines, with NO extra cost to the customers.

Cruise lines refer to travel agents as their "travel partners" when talking to them. Then they take active steps to cut their "travel partners" out of the game by soliciting clients from their web site visits. That just sticks in my craw.