Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 15th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Admiral

Default Carnival Dream

We were looking at cruising Carnival Dream and other than one or two good reviews the rest are just horrible. I know opinions are a dime a dozen but Iíve found for the most part they give me a good idea of what to expect and are somewhat accurate.
What I read is that there are just too many people for the ship and lines are very long and public room way too small to accommodate the amount of people. Iím thinking I should look elsewhere, however I wanted to sail out of Port Canaveral.

Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2012, 04:45 PM
First Mate

We have sailed twice on the Carnival Dream and have a 3rd cruise coming in Oct. On the 1st cruise we were concerned that there would be too many people. Well, we never did find that to be the case. Knowing that there are a lot of passengers we adjusted our meal times accordingly: mid-day dining was either around 1130 or around 1:30. We found those times to be just before the crowd and just after the crowd. There are a lot of places to eat and you just have to decide what you will put up with in waiting. The BBQ just outside the Lanai midships had great burgers, ribs and tacos at lunch. It never seemed to be that crowded. The Mongolian BBQ did get very crowded and long lines were there. We did the Mongolian BBQ for lunch on embarkation day and since we board early (Platinum) and were the 1st in line. The food was wonderful but knowing the lines would be long we didn't go back during the cruise. We never did feel like we were lost in a mass of people. If fact, we were pleasently surprised. We have saied 15+ times so perhaps we were able to adjust better than maybe a 1st timer and maybe our expectations were different.. Plus as you said, different folks will have different attitudes. My advise would be to at least try the Dream and see for your self.
Old April 15th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Admiral

Hi Aerogirl! We sailed Dream in her maiden year (I think).

I had not yet found cruisemates, so while I'm sure I've got reviews flirting around the internet, I can't point you to one!

When we sailed Dream, it was our first cruise after several years of non-cruising, and things had changed. I was pretty negative after sailing Dream (and my review probably reflected that). My issues were more with service (we had a horrible waiter) and food quality.

We sailed GOTS later that year (not a great comparison 5nt old ship to 7 nt. new ship) but it made me realize that I was probably too harsh on dream, because cruising in general had changed and it was not a reflection of Dream, per se.

Food and Service are my main two areas of judging a cruise.

We've done a few cruises since then, and in hindsight, the food was not that bad (in comparison to FOTS, GOTS and Disney Dream). The food on HAL was superior but that is to be expected.

I still think the service on Dream was poor but that was mostly due to a bad waiter.

I don't recall having any issues with crowding. When we sailed, the main complaint was the sewage smell, but we never encountered that.

Would I sail Dream again - absolutely. If you have any specific questions, I can try and answer them for you.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old April 15th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Admiral

Ok thanks, this makes me feel a little better. I was pretty set on the Dream for Nov 2013 but started having second thoughts after reading reviews. Overall I think we all know the service in the MDR is gone downhill on most cruise lines as well as the food.

On my past Freedom cruise we loved the ship although the MDR food and service was not too good but that was the only flaw we experienced and itís wasnít bad enough to give a negative review. Yes, no doubt cruising has changed over the years!

I have a group wanting to go but meeting everyoneís needs Iím finding a little hard to do.
Thanks for the input!

Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old April 15th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Admiral

I'm sure you will find it comparable to Freedom and will have a great time!

And for the price you'll pay .... you may even like it better than FOTS!

When are you going? After typing out that post above, I went off on a tangent looking at prices on Dream! Considering a sailing in August - we'll see :-D

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old April 15th, 2012, 11:17 PM
Admiral

Aerogirl, re/ the Dream, we have sailed it twice, once when it had been sailing for about 6 months or so and again this past Sept.
We've been on a lot of cruises on several different lines and we had no problems on the Dream.
On any large ship there tends to be lines at certain times, especially on sea days. If , on a sea day, you go to the breakfast buffet around 8 or 9 a.m you just may encounter a line and the same at lunch, especially around 12-1 p.m. But, as has been pointed out, you can control and avoid some of the lines by watching your times you pick to eat breakfast and lunch.
I never had a complaint regarding the food nor service on either of my cruises on the Dream.
I can understand if you're trying to get a fairly large group to sail --you may as well figure now that some will be happy and some will be unhappy-- no matter how good the food and service may be.
Happy sails !
Old April 16th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Admiral

I'd be curious to know how your experience is with planning a group. How many people do you have?

We're thinking of a family cruise next year. I will probably plan it on Carnival to keep costs down for everyone. DH does not want me to be the planner, because I will get stuck fielding all the complaints.

For some, this will be a once in a lifetime trip, so I don't want anyone to be let down.

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old April 16th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Admiral

The lines are basically passenger induced (in my opinion). You have those that must ponder over the "perfect" shape or size of an item, for instance. Then there's someone standing still waiting for an item, or the grills where you pick what you want to be grilled and then must wait for that to cook. The omelet station is a good example.
So, yes, gauge your time before the rush or after.
Old April 18th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville View Post
I'd be curious to know how your experience is with planning a group. How many people do you have?

We're thinking of a family cruise next year. I will probably plan it on Carnival to keep costs down for everyone. DH does not want me to be the planner, because I will get stuck fielding all the complaints.

For some, this will be a once in a lifetime trip, so I don't want anyone to be let down.
We started off with just four of us and now were up to eight maybe nine, however itís getting out of hand. No one date seems to work for everyone so Iím getting prices based on cruising I believe Nov 16, 2013. Iíll give the price and a let them know when Iím booking then the rest is up to them. Weíll see how it goes!

Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old April 18th, 2012, 11:04 PM
Admiral

Aerogirl, good luck re / your group cruise. I been there an did that ONE time and after that, that was enough for me. There's always some who waffle-- maybe we can go and maybe not--we'll let you know-- can't get off work then, can we go the next month, etc., etc., etc.
I think you would probably like the Dream but as always, some would and some would not. Good luck in whatever you decide.
I think you hit the nail on the head when you aid you would get the prices, and let them know when you were booking and leave the rest to them--if they want to go, they'll go--if it's all talk, you'll soon find out.
I think the Dream is fine, but that's just my opinion.
Good luck and happy sailing.
Old April 19th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Aerogirl, good luck re / your group cruise. I been there an did that ONE time and after that, that was enough for me. There's always some who waffle-- maybe we can go and maybe not--we'll let you know-- can't get off work then, can we go the next month, etc., etc., etc.
I think you would probably like the Dream but as always, some would and some would not. Good luck in whatever you decide.
I think you hit the nail on the head when you aid you would get the prices, and let them know when you were booking and leave the rest to them--if they want to go, they'll go--if it's all talk, you'll soon find out.
I think the Dream is fine, but that's just my opinion.
Good luck and happy sailing.
Ron
As long as I'm on the ship the heck with the rest!:eek: !!

Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old April 19th, 2012, 10:25 PM
Admiral

Ha-- you have the right attitude--take care of yourself and enjoy your cruise.
Old April 20th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

AeroGirl, I am sailing the Dream in September with a small group from my small forum. I will be sure to let you know what we think. I am sure it will be just as good as any other Carnival ship I have been on.

Laura
ďTwenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didnít do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.ď
---Mark Twain

Old April 23rd, 2012, 12:01 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznut2 View Post
AeroGirl, I am sailing the Dream in September with a small group from my small forum. I will be sure to let you know what we think. I am sure it will be just as good as any other Carnival ship I have been on.

Laura
Thanks Laura, Have a great time!

Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014