CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Cruising out of Miami? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/389166-cruising-out-miami.html)

tison1200 May 1st, 2012 07:06 PM

Cruising out of Miami?

I have a few questions reguarding cruising out of Miami.

1. How far is the airport from the terminal?
2. What hotels would you recomend if a person flies in the night before a cruise? Is there a hotel that offers transfers from the airport to the hotel and then again to the port the following day?

Thanks for any info you have to share!

Mike M May 1st, 2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tison1200 (Post 1427142)
I have a few questions reguarding cruising out of Miami.

1. How far is the airport from the terminal?
2. What hotels would you recomend if a person flies in the night before a cruise? Is there a hotel that offers transfers from the airport to the hotel and then again to the port the following day?

Thanks for any info you have to share!

I don't know the actual distance but it is a $25 cab ride.
There are number of nice hotels close to the port. Hilton Biscayne Bay, Intercontinental Dowtown, Marriott Biscayne Bay, Hyatt Regency Downtown. All are a $10 - $12 cab ride away. None of these have cruise port shuttle but a taxi is a better way to IMO.

There are some airport hotels that offer a pay shuttle to the port. i.e. Hilton Airport, Best Western Premier Airport.

My best advice is to try Priceline and bid 4 star on a dowtown location. Lately the prices haven't been as good but you can get something for around $100.

If you want something less expensive go for 3 star or 2.5 star by the airport. You should be able to get a decent hotel for $75 or less.

Take care,
Mike

Donna May 1st, 2012 09:25 PM

It should only take about 20-30 minutes to get from airport to the cruiseport in Miami, depending on taffic of course...

Fern May 1st, 2012 09:32 PM

tison1200, here's the link to a LaQuinta in Miami:

La Quinta Inn & Suites Miami Airport East Hotel, FL - Florida Airport Hotel

We've stayed there and used the shuttle to the ship. They have airport to hotel and hotel to pier shuttles.

Check them out. We've stayed in many LaQuinta Inn's, and they've always been okay :).

Have a wonderful cruise!

tison1200 May 1st, 2012 10:58 PM

Fern

How is the food at Benigans by the hotel? Also have you tried the steak house thats near the hotel?

I went ahead and booked that hotel. It looks fairly decent and its a good price and like you said offers airport pickup and free shuttle to the port (minus tips of course)

I've spent a ton of time in South Florida but never really made it down to Miami to explore. I was always up in Ft Lauderdale or West Palm Beach.

Thanks again for the link!

Fern May 2nd, 2012 09:23 PM

tison1200, we haven't eaten at the Benigan's there, but we've enjoyed them in other places.

We haven't tried the steakhouse either (we're usually not that hungry after traveling).

If you have no trouble walking there are several restaurants nearby.

Here's the link to Oakwood Plaza. It's about two blocks from the hotel.

Oakwood Plaza: Fort Lauderdale RetailGuide Mall Profile

Have a wonderful cruise!

alwayscruise July 22nd, 2012 08:37 PM

We stayed at the Hampton Inn & Suites Miami Airport South Blue Lagoon (Miami Hotels: Hampton Inn & Suites Miami Airport Blue Lagoon, FL OFFICIAL WEBSITE. This Hampton Inn & Suites Hotel in Miami Airport Blue Lagoon, FL lodging near the Miami International Airport and Blue Lagoon.). It has an airport shuttle and a cruise package with two one-way transportation to the Port of Miami. It is across the street from a shopping center with a Publix and restaurant.

lhp July 23rd, 2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwayscruise (Post 1439588)
We stayed at the Hampton Inn & Suites Miami Airport South Blue Lagoon (Miami Hotels: Hampton Inn & Suites Miami Airport Blue Lagoon, FL OFFICIAL WEBSITE. This Hampton Inn & Suites Hotel in Miami Airport Blue Lagoon, FL lodging near the Miami International Airport and Blue Lagoon.). It has an airport shuttle and a cruise package with two one-way transportation to the Port of Miami. It is across the street from a shopping center with a Publix and restaurant.

Did this feel like a safe area to you for someone who is driving in???

We are thinking of booking there in November.

We have stayed at the Holiday Inn at the Port before, but the parking was a pain. (to few parking spaces if you wanted your car behind a security fence)

thanks

alwayscruise July 24th, 2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhp (Post 1439681)
Did this feel like a safe area to you for someone who is driving in???

We are thinking of booking there in November.

We have stayed at the Holiday Inn at the Port before, but the parking was a pain. (to few parking spaces if you wanted your car behind a security fence)

thanks

It is a safe area, but there is not much to do around. If you are driving, the Hampton Inn Coconut Grove could be a nice choice too. It is a nicer neighborhood with CocoWalk shopping around and also have the same cruise package with free secure parking.