CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Doctor Kicked off Carnival Dream after fake tweet? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/389358-doctor-kicked-off-carnival-dream-after-fake-tweet.html)

Paul Motter May 14th, 2012 10:21 AM

Doctor Kicked off Carnival Dream after fake tweet?

Neurosurgeon pulled off cruise ship over tweet | Hot Topics | an SFGate.com blog

This story tells us about a doctor who was pulled off of Carnival Magic, as a suspected terrorist, because someone else impersonated him on Twitter and said he had a vial of biohazardous material he planned to use to poison the ship.

He was scheduled to speak to a group, and even though they figured out the tweet was a fake he was still taken off and not let back on - per the ship captain's orders.

UUmmm... what "twit" would announced his intentions to poison a ship on Twitter? Of course it was fake and had nothing to do with the doctor - as far as I can see.

What was this captain thinking?

snorklr45 May 15th, 2012 01:03 AM

I wonder who the Neurosurgeon pissed off???

ChadH May 18th, 2012 04:44 PM

Maybe when the Heat get knocked out of the playoffs in a few days good ol' Mickey Arison can go back to running Carnival... though I'm not sure things will improve

lhp May 24th, 2012 10:56 AM

I am guessing that the Captain was thinking....

that since the US Coast Guard, US Homeland Security, FBI and all the local police agencies showed up for this....

(in the 3 or 4 hours that he had to make this decision) ...

that he had better err on the side of caution.

Especially since there was a credible terrorist threat against a cruise ship just one month prior to this.

I am sure that err made by the Costa Captain was weighing on his mind as well.

One wrong decision and 1,000's die. Sorry, I will never question a man that is put in that position.

Paul Motter May 24th, 2012 11:59 AM

LHP...

That would be a very convincing argument if those agencies had actually "shown up" out of their own independent concern over the tweet, but the way I read the story that isn't what happened.

All the SF Gate story said was that... (to quote)

A cruise line official confirmed that the FBI, Homeland Security, the Galveston police and the U.S. Coast Guard were alerted about the tweet.

And then....

The fake Twitter account, which parodied the doctor, has been deleted.

And then....

Kruse’s belonging and computer were searched by the authorities, the statement says. Officials determined the tweet was posted from an impostor and the officials cleared the doctor, the ship’s captain confirmed. The Carnival cruise ship captain did not permit him to re-board the ship before it left the Galveston port.

Paul Motter May 24th, 2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChadH (Post 1429014)
Maybe when the Heat get knocked out of the playoffs in a few days good ol' Mickey Arison can go back to running Carnival... though I'm not sure things will improve

This is a funny funny post. In fact I have had the pleasure of dining with Micky (although he wouldn't remember, I was so shy back then I didn't say a word). But we were all there as cruise reporters, and the only conversation the entire night was about basketball.

That was not his fault - because the only one of five of us who weren't too scared to talk to him knew a lot about Bball- so that was what they discussed.

Yes - I would love to have that night back.