Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 17th, 2012, 12:44 AM
Familiar Face

Default Tie but no coat!!

Ok here's the deal. Our husbands do not want to wear a coat on formal nights. Are they gonna stick out like sore thumbs or do you think there will be more gents sans coats? They will have on ties & dress shirts. Thanks. 24 days til sail:-D!!

Liberty June 2012
Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2012, 01:00 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

My blog, posted this morning on the home page, basically answers this question

Cruisemates Blog It’s Getting Easier To Cruise Without Clothes – Kuki

The simple answer, on Carnival, they will absolutely be fine.
Old May 17th, 2012, 02:56 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky Cruiser View Post
Ok here's the deal. Our husbands do not want to wear a coat on formal nights. Are they gonna stick out like sore thumbs or do you think there will be more gents sans coats? They will have on ties & dress shirts. Thanks. 24 days til sail:-D!!
They don't even have to wear ties and they will still be within the guidelines.

Bill
Old May 17th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I see from your signature that you will be sailing on the Carnival Liberty. No jacket will be perfectly acceptable. On my March sailing on Liberty there were about 1/2 of the men who wore jackets on formal night.

I would suggest they go the long sleeve dress shirt route and not short sleeved shirt and tie.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 17th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Admiral

I personally believe that there should either be mandatory formal attire OR do away with formal nights totally .

On my first cruise every evening was formal attire and 100% of the guests dressed accordingly.
Old May 17th, 2012, 10:58 AM
First Mate

My question is how do they dress for a formal wedding after 5:00 pm There is a reason for the dress code and the individual line does set the requirement however Carnival is the most lax in enforcing it.There are certainly many other options for dining on formal nights. A couple of years back I ran a test on whether cruisers wanted to maintain a formal dress code and the results were to keep by a large majority.
Old May 17th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
I personally believe that there should either be mandatory formal attire OR do away with formal nights totally .

On my first cruise every evening was formal attire and 100% of the guests dressed accordingly.
100% agree with this...what on earth is formal about wearing a shirt? I say enforce the rules or just do away with them, a rule nobody obeys is a nonsense!
Having said this what is wrong with dressing up a bit for dinner? do people who don't wish to dress up just stay in the same clothes they had on all day?
Old May 17th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks everybody for your input. The husbands wore coats on our other cruises. I don't wear dresses unless it's for a special occasion & the wives are all wearing dresses! The guys are just being stubburn on this cruise. We'll see what happens. Mine will definately wear long sleeves with tie. Very few men around here (western ky) wear suits anymore, even at funerals, weddings or at church. I have noticed the older men do! Guess it's a generation thing. Husbands are 60-62. Thanks again!!

Liberty June 2012
Old May 17th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
100% agree with this...what on earth is formal about wearing a shirt? I say enforce the rules or just do away with them, a rule nobody obeys is a nonsense!
Carnival has basically done exactly that... done away with "formal". They now call it elegant night, and THEIR description of what is acceptable has been adjusted.

I think you have to kind of admire them for at least not being hyprocritical about it as most lines now are who still call for "formal".
Old May 18th, 2012, 02:16 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Having said this what is wrong with dressing up a bit for dinner? do people who don't wish to dress up just stay in the same clothes they had on all day?
Maybe that's why it's not called formal anymore.

Bill
Old May 18th, 2012, 06:36 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S.Oceanlover View Post
Maybe that's why it's not called formal anymore.

Bill
The O/P refers to "formal" so it was that I answered.
The point though was, why call it anything if they are not going to uphold what they say?
Another thing is it's about time the cruise lines made their minds up what they want to be, a cruise as it traditionally was or a holiday at sea.
Old May 18th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
The O/P refers to "formal" so it was that I answered.
The point though was, why call it anything if they are not going to uphold what they say?
Another thing is it's about time the cruise lines made their minds up what they want to be, a cruise as it traditionally was or a holiday at sea.
John:

I agree with you but I do think it has basically become, across almost all lines, a "Holiday/Vacation at Sea". I'm fine with that.

For my wife and I the true "formal" experience was getting old and we were beginning to look at other vacation options but the changes that the cruise lines made with relaxed dress codes and open seating dining revitalized my interest in cruising. We did try Anytime Dining on Princess but found they hadn't worked out the "bugs" at that time and always had a long wait even if we would take whatever was available. NCL's Freestyle is what brought us back. Then we cruised Azamara and that was the perfect type of cruise in regards to dining and entertainment. Now most other cruise lines have scrambled to institute open seating and less structure.

I will never forget when we did a February cruise, in the Mediterranean, on NCL and after a long day on shore we just wanted to eat and go to bed. We stopped by the Italian restaurant on the Norwegian Jade and they had an immediate opening. I was dressed in jeans and polo shirt. I felt very uncomfortable going into the restaurant wearing jeans. That feeling lasted about five minutes.

I still believe that if you are going to eat in the Main Dining Room or an upscale alternative restaurant you should make an effort to make yourself presentable but I am glad that the days of the tuxedo and formal gown are gone for most of the cruise lines.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old May 18th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Admiral

With respect though Mike, "just wanting to eat & go to bed" isn't having dinner, it's just having something to eat. My argument with cruiselines is as I said, why have these codes if nobody upholds them & if most don't want them it's a waste of time. I would say on the lines I use most, P&O & Cunard, a good 95% of people observe the dress codes & almost all men wear a DJ/Tux. People look forward to these nights too & like the chance to dress up.
I personally don't care if they have codes or not but just wish they would stick to them if they do. Like on one cruise I didn't pack a jacket for semi formal (jacket required), night. I stayed in the cabin as I was told I could only use the buffet & outside bars (no big deal I wasn't that well) but my wife said there were many people without jackets even the MDR, but as I had asked I did what they said.
Old May 18th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Mike - you are from the Great Lakes area - so you suggest a long sleeve dress shirt without tie instead of a short sleeve shirt with a tie.

Well, I am from Phoenix and guess which one I would recommend?
Old May 18th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Admiral

Don't know about the geographical details, but I think a long sleeved shirt looks far nicer, & I don't think a tie goes with a short sleeved shirt.
Old May 18th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Familiar Face

I prefer the jacket no tie look for our formal/elegant/dress better than the night before dinner though I've done the tie no jacket on many occasions...once even with a child's clip on tie.

Needless to say... I am not a fan of the formal dinners. Too much extra packing. Hurts that self imposed one bag only travel plan.
Old May 18th, 2012, 04:29 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Mike - you are from the Great Lakes area - so you suggest a long sleeve dress shirt without tie instead of a short sleeve shirt with a tie.

Well, I am from Phoenix and guess which one I would recommend?
I am agreement with John and it's really a matter of personal preference. I personally feel the short sleeve shirt and a tie gives a little too much of the "Dilbert" look.

Just a matter of opinion.

Take care,
Mike

Old May 18th, 2012, 05:19 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I guess it is the Dilbert look - but with a nice colored and collared short sleeve shirt (not white) and no pocket protector, in a warm tropical climate it looks nice and is pretty much accepted wear.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 04:20 AM
Admiral

No jacket or tie required and he will not be alone.

There is no color code, either.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 08:04 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to hotmama115

Cruising is about so many different things for different people for different reasons...I have only been on two cruises, both on carnival. I love to get prettied up in a cocktail dress for formal nights. I did not wear a long gown, but a cocktail dress is very dressy for me as I wear scrubs most of the time. My DH doesn't care to dress up regularly but on his first cruise he surprised me and wore a jacket and tie for formal night. We had so much fun.

I do however think that if someone would be so uncomfortable on a formal night just because of a jacket then take it off, I don't care what others are wearing, I am going to look nice on formal nights, so will DH, that's all that matters

Read and post cruise reviews