Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 20th, 2012, 02:49 AM
Captain

Default Cruising With 18 Month Old

Wow...Haven't posted on Cruisemates for many months. Part of the reason is I became a first time dad (at age 46) last year.

We were looking at Carnival's site and found some great bargains...We are thinking of going in Sep. Our son will be 18 months old at that time which I know leaves him about 6 months shy of being able to participate in the kid's programs....Can someone who has travelled with kids under 2 tell me what, if any, onboard babysitting is available for a few hours here and there. Also, open to any tips for traveling with one this small...Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old May 20th, 2012, 04:02 AM
First Mate

I am sure some others will have better advice for taking your little one along, but as a mom of a 3 and 5 year old, my advice would be to find a great sitter to keep him home.

Once kids are old enough to utilize all the kids programs they (and their parents) can enjoy it so much more!

I hope that if you are determined to take him along this time, that all goes well!! I am intersted to read what others have to say. I think my kiddos are almost ready to go along with us... If I am ready to take them!

Golden Princess 9/8/2012
Carnival Elation 11/02/2009
Carnival Pride 04/24/2006
Carnival Pride 05/23/2004
Carnival Elation (I think) 1999
Old May 20th, 2012, 09:16 AM
Admiral

I too am prone to say leave the child behind for a week. Yes, you'll feel guilty, but what an opportunity to relax. Taking a young child basically ties you down 24/7, all activity revolves around the child who doesn't even know he's on a cruise. Might as well call it a babysitting cruise. I think going on a regular vacation is fine, but somehow vacationing on a cruise is a catagory all it's own.
Old May 20th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Take a small blow up pool, to keep by your chair at the pool deck. This will give the little one a place to sit and splash,and have fun.. If you do decide to swim w/ the baby in the big pool, since this is a no no, be prepared for perhaps, some stong feedback. If your ship has an aft pool, Much quieter, for you all.

Congratualtions on being a Daddy, & have fun and enjoy your cruise.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 20th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Take a small blow up pool, to keep by your chair at the pool deck. This will give the little one a place to sit and splash,and have fun.. If you do decide to swim w/ the baby in the big pool, since this is a no no, be prepared for perhaps, some stong feedback. If your ship has an aft pool, Much quieter, for you all.

Congratualtions on being a Daddy, & have fun and enjoy your cruise.
All activities for a baby can be done at home. But for what is required to bring a child, the schedules, not attending events except one at a time, the expense of a cruise, I see the baby as being the entertainment for the parents, just in a setting not at home. (I know, the LOVE,LOVE, couldn't go without my child thing)
Old May 20th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

For some, a cruise could become a chore, and, they would decide, to wait till the child is older, coul can be placed in Camp Carnival. For others, the family being together on the sea, seeing and doing new things, is the draw,and not a bother.

Since our poster wasn't asking if they should consider cruising with a young child, I wasn't going to give an opinion on that

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 21st, 2012, 01:16 AM
Captain

Thanks to all for the replies & suggestions...Even though Carnival does offer some babysitting services for the under 2 kids, we've decided to wait at least another year or so until he can do the whole Camp Carnival thing. We think that will just be a better time for all of us.