Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 4th, 2012, 06:02 AM
Captain

Smile Pay or cuts

I was just reading some other threads where people feel that Carnival is making some cuts in the quality of their service. Would you rather Carnival raised their prices to keep their level of service or would you rather they make a few cuts?You would have to admite that their prices are pretty low.And at these current prices how long can they keep there level of service with out raising prices or making cuts?
Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Admiral

It really isn't a question that can be answered. So much is dependant on individual preferences of what they value. Myself, I'm not a fussy cruiser, but if it comes down to it, I guess my answer would be raise the price. There are things that the cruiselines have always included, some things have already disappeared.
Old June 4th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

The one Carnival cruise I took, while was a wonderful cruise, even at that time, I could tell the service level wasn't what I was used to on other lines. It was nothing terrible, but I could notice the difference. Now, if it is even less, that would cause a problem for me...I did think their food and entertainment was great...Just sorry to hear complaints recently.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 4th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Admiral

I would rather pay more for a better service, but with most of the 'bucket' lines that may well push their operating profits even further down as people look for the 'cheaper' options. I still rue the day we had to cancel our Renaissance cruise, only for them to go out of business before we could rebook

Luckily there are enough other lines out there with smaller ships and higher standards/costs to keep the market open to all passengers.

What I do find amazing is that some of the 3* lines operating out of the UK can charge as much if not more than some of the (almost) 5* lines, adn still get away with it.

Still as they say, it's horses for courses.

Alan.

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam, Aza.Journey
Old June 4th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Admiral

Alan

All that says is that price is no guarantee of quality.

I do feel that the cruises ex UK are overpriced in some cases - but again I have never and do not envisage sailing from the UK in the near future.

Annie
Old June 4th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Banned
Captain

Over 4 billion in profit for Carnival in one year..I say thats not enough for Carnival...They need 6 billion...I say make more cuts.
Old June 4th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Admiral

I would pay a little more for better food. Carnival's is the cheapest to cruise so sure.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old June 4th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Captain

Smile

I cant really answer this question myself as my wife and I have only been on one cruise so far and that was with Princess.We do have a cruise booked for April of next year on Carnival,It will be interesting to me to see what the diffrences are if any.I know one thing it seems that it would be hard to beat Carnivals prices.But I am sure no matter what the diffrences are we will still have a blast.Beinging new to the cruise scene I would not notice any cuts that have been made latley all I know is that it seems like a heck of a bargain.
Old June 4th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Captain

Default Back in MY Day

Back in the days of the Mardi Gras, we had room keys, not cards, sommelier, not bar waiters, a room steward, not a cleaning crew.
Those were the days of the Pursers office, not the information desk.
Twin beds that were bolted to the floor and did NOT make a into a king or queen. No need for a watch, the dinner chimes went out over the PA system. ( and thats about all that went out over the PA system.)
Lots of things have changed over the years, but one thing which has stayed the same is the price. Our 5 day cruise this fall is about the same price as it was over 30 years ago. Some of the labor intensive perks are gone, but the ocean is still the same. I do not cruise for the ship, the food, or the shows. I cruise for the sea. Give me a balcony and I don't care if the ship ever makes port.
Mardi Gras 1986 / 1987, Emerald Seas 1988, Jubilee 1989 / 2002, Sunward II 1991, Sea Breeze 1993, Seaward 1995, Celebration 1998, Norwegian Sea 2000, Destiny 2002 /2008, Rhapsody OS 2003, Conquest 2004 / 2005 / 2008, Radiance OS 2004, Pride Of America 2006, Triumph 2007 / 2012 (x2), Grandeur OS 2008, Holiday 2009, Fantasy 2009, Splendor 2010, Elation 2010, Victory 2011
Old June 5th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Captain

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMo View Post
Back in the days of the Mardi Gras, we had room keys, not cards, sommelier, not bar waiters, a room steward, not a cleaning crew.
Those were the days of the Pursers office, not the information desk.
Twin beds that were bolted to the floor and did NOT make a into a king or queen. No need for a watch, the dinner chimes went out over the PA system. ( and thats about all that went out over the PA system.)
Lots of things have changed over the years, but one thing which has stayed the same is the price. Our 5 day cruise this fall is about the same price as it was over 30 years ago. Some of the labor intensive perks are gone, but the ocean is still the same. I do not cruise for the ship, the food, or the shows. I cruise for the sea. Give me a balcony and I don't care if the ship ever makes port.
Wow thats pretty amazing that the price was comparable to 30 years ago! What else can you say that about? Gas.grociers,a stay in a motel,air travel, a night out at the movies? a meal in a resturaunt?It makes me wonder how the cruise lines can do it? Seems to me sooner or later something would have to give either a price increase or cuts in service
Old June 6th, 2012, 04:02 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhill View Post
Wow thats pretty amazing that the price was comparable to 30 years ago! What else can you say that about? Gas.grociers,a stay in a motel,air travel, a night out at the movies? a meal in a resturaunt?It makes me wonder how the cruise lines can do it? Seems to me sooner or later something would have to give either a price increase or cuts in service
I still have the invoice I paid for my "Flyaweigh" cruise on Mardi Gras in 1984. I paid $1069 for that cruise that was a category 4A with 4 people in the cabin.

I paid about the same in 1983 on the Festivale for 3 in a 4A cabin. In my opinion pricing has dropped a lot.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old June 6th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

Like someone else said, price is no guarantee of quality. Royal charges way more and the one cruise I took on them didn't even compare to what I am use to on Carnival.

This past May on Carnival I did notice some differences~the food wasn't as good, and they are now putting water in the shower gel to use less, and all in all it didn't seem as up to par as what I have experienced before. We're sailing on the Breeze next May and I'm hoping it's just that the Victory being an older ship that was the problem.

I understand inflation and times changing but they make a huge profit yearly and cutting service should never be an option, even if they aren't making as much as before.
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old June 6th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutiecat View Post

I understand inflation and times changing but they make a huge profit yearly and cutting service should never be an option, even if they aren't making as much as before.
I could'nt agree more.
Old July 8th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Familiar Face

The problem is overturned ships on the Rocks in the Med are really expensive and require a lot of cut backs to keep the profit levels up.

My Blog can be found at: http://capndinghy.multiply.com/
Old July 8th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capndinghy View Post
The problem is overturned ships on the Rocks in the Med are really expensive and require a lot of cut backs to keep the profit levels up.

Yep...to the tune of 1.3B Lira.... (with a B)

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old July 8th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Familiar Face

While I agree, price is no guarentee for quality, I would be happier with a higher price and not the cutbacks.

Carnival Magic - 8/26/2012
Carnival Breeze - 1/19/2013

Conquest - 2011, Oasis B2B - 2011
Conquest-2010, Ecstasy-2010, Conquest-2009,
Ecstasy-2009, Brilliance-2008, Miracle-2007,
Conquest-2006, Rhapsody-2005, Vision - 2003,
Rhapsody-2002, Inspiration-2001, Jubilee-1999
Old July 8th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Admiral

While most of the changes have not affected our cruise....the laws of economics dictates that (if there are continued cuts) eventually it will.

If paying more would bring back a wait staff that is not as rushed....I would pay more.

If paying more would add another solo entertainer or a duo...I would pay more.

If paying more would bring back the Fun Farewell Party (although since I have literally tipped a waiter $20 before...so the drinks for me are never free)...I would pay more.

If paying more would mean the piano bar entertainers went back to their 4 hour sets .... I would pay more (because that would mean they would attract the best entertainers).

I could care less about the calypso band, because I rarely step foot outside on Lido.
I could care less if they have a 15 piece orchestra or a 7 piece stage band.....they both played to the same accompaniment tracks for the shows.
I could care less about the changes in the food in the Main Dining Room...I am not a foodie.

So yes, there are certain things that I would pay more for.....

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old July 8th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Admiral

Along with "cutbacks" there have also enhancements and new features, but they never seem to be mentioned in the same sentence.

Most entertainment is nothing but overhead, so could be done away with.

I really think most of the changes are with the passengers, and not for the better.

For really a very minimal amount of money, we still get a comfortable stateroom, about 8 meals a day, and wake up somewhere different every morning. Anything else is pretty much window dressing, or, in the case of Royal, lipstick!
Old July 9th, 2012, 02:25 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecocruiser View Post
I really think most of the changes are with the passengers, and not for the better.
Agree

Although I'd say 'many' not 'most'.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old July 9th, 2012, 05:24 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthlessboss View Post
It really isn't a question that can be answered. So much is dependant on individual preferences of what they value. Myself, I'm not a fussy cruiser, but if it comes down to it, I guess my answer would be raise the price. There are things that the cruiselines have always included, some things have already disappeared.
But, despite complaints of service and food cutbacks, has anyone noticed NO ONE complains about ships going into dry dock for expensive 2.0 upgrades? They mean a lot to some (or cruisers think they do), but I don't need those so called upgrades, I don't use the new foodie places nor slides. The Serenity areas are a plus for adults though, we've been given a place to go for relaxation without kids running around.
Old July 9th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman View Post
Agree

Although I'd say 'many' not 'most'.
I was tempted to put all but me.
Old July 9th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Familiar Face

I'm not sure that I would be willing to pay too much more to restore what has been taken away.

I have never cared for the Past Guest party or the Fun Farewell party. Too many people trying to grab as many free drinks as possible while others get almost none. I personally don't think the bar waiters should serve special order drinks and they shouldn't serve more than one drink at a time. But they should have more waiters so that it's not 30+ minutes before they come by.

The food I'm never disappointed with so I don't consider it a cutback. I eat mostly fish, salad and pasta's and I don't find them lacking. I enjoy trying the things on the Didja' menu, and I occasionally order from the Comfort menu. I don't have a problem with meatloaf (although Sister's is much better), and it is served in some of the finest restaurants that I've eatten at in Dallas.

We do YTD and do feel the service is a bit slow, but I'm in no real hurry.

For us we're just such laid back cruisers that what other people perceive as cutbacks are just not important to us.

I would like for Carnival to do some things that wouldn't really cost them any money, like opening up a 2nd gangway for Platinum and above cruisers to get back on the ship. Always having Milestone and Diamond cruisers cabins ready upon embarkation. I would like to have a special private cocktail hour (even if I had to pay for my own drinks, for anyone who has achieved Milestone or Diamond status. I enjoy talking to more experienced cruisers and value their opinions and experience.

Festival 5/1983, Festivale 6/1984, Holiday 7/2001, Inspiration 2/2002
Paradise 3/2004, Pride 9/2004, Victory 5/2005, Conquest 4/2006
Conquest 9/2006, Freedom 3/2007, Glory 9/2007, Conquest 2/2008
Valor 5/2008, Glory 8/2008 & 9/2008, Fantasy 2/2009
Conquest 9/2009, Dream 12/2009, Conquest 2/2010, Ecstasy 4/2010
Conquest 9/2010, Ecstasy 2/2011, Glory 2/2011, Conquest 10/2011
Triumph 11/2011, Magic 3/2012
Old July 12th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Captain

I am new to cruising but I don't understand the issue here.

If you don't like what Carnival is offering and would pay more for a better experience, why not just book on NCL or RC or another line that is known for a nicer experience?

Is Carnival's loyalty program really good? Why not just use a cruise line that gives you what you want if you can pay for it?
Old July 12th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdude View Post
I am new to cruising but I don't understand the issue here.

If you don't like what Carnival is offering and would pay more for a better experience, why not just book on NCL or RC or another line that is known for a nicer experience?

Is Carnival's loyalty program really good? Why not just use a cruise line that gives you what you want if you can pay for it?
I would think RC, NCL and Carnival are very close to each other..its not like one stands out from the other....

Moving up the ladder would mean IMHO HAL, Celebrity and Princess...