Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 12th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Familiar Face

Default This is My First Cruise, and First Post!

Hello everyone! I'm Dequindre (I can be found under the same name at MotorTrend Forums), and i'm taking my first cruise on the Carnival Pride in Baltimore this summer! It's a 7 day Eastern Caribbean, with stops in Half Moon Cay, Freeport, and Grand Turk. I fully intend on giving a full review on here when I get back. Is there anything special that I need to know about the ship or destinations? I've read a lot about the ship, but maybe some of you have special experiences. I also booked the Western Heritage Tour on Grand Bahama Island, it sounds like fun! I look forward to being part of the forum!

Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2012, 11:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

welcome to cruisemates! i use to post here a lot and got out of the habit but am trying to get back into it. this site is so helpful with lots of wonderful people.

congrats on booking your first cruise~hope you love Carnival like I do!
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old June 13th, 2012, 04:56 AM
First Mate

Hello and welcome!!

I have cruised on the Pride twice when it was in the Mexican Riviera. I really enjoyed everything she had to offer. It has been a little over 6 years since the last time, but I will try to answer if you have any specific questions about the ship.

Golden Princess 9/8/2012
Carnival Elation 11/02/2009
Carnival Pride 04/24/2006
Carnival Pride 05/23/2004
Carnival Elation (I think) 1999
Old June 13th, 2012, 08:05 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Welcome to Cruisemates!

I know you're going to enjoy the cruise. Half Moon Cay is a great beach day and if you can go with a couple of other people and get a cabana it really makes it special.

If you like to snorkel or dive then Grand Turk is a great place otherwise it's another beach day but they do have a nice Margaritaville with a great pool.

Enjoy!!!

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 13th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi De,
Welcome to Cruisemates and the wonderful world of cruising. Sounds like you did some homework on the ports you will be visiting, great. Be sure to read through the section here on first time cruisers, lots of good info.

If you have any questions, be sure to keep posting, you'll get many good answers...

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 13th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Welcome Dequindre, we've been waiting for you!

Half Moon Cay is a slice of paradise. With a great lunch, and, water sports available, scooting across the waves, it's a fun day.

With a pool and a beach to enjoy, Grand Turk, also has a Margarittaville, and some nice shops to shmooze, a day here with a foo foo drink in hand is a good thing!

If you snorkle, Freeport is your port..Straw market here, don't forget to haggle a bit. Looking forward to hear all about your adventure when you return,and hope to see you around the boards.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 13th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Admiral

Welcome to the BEST internet cruising board .
Old June 13th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks everyone! I'll report my findings when I come back. I'm a first-time cruiser, so I won't have much to compare it to.
Old June 17th, 2012, 10:34 AM
First Mate

Cruised the pride last year. One thing you may be interested in that offends some. The ship is decorated with european style art work, nudity is the norm. At the top of the atrium at davids supper club is a life size replica of the statue (David) full nudity. be prepared, many Americans call the nudity vulgar, the Europeans call it art.
The staff on our cruise was friendly helpful and well versed in their position. Embarkation and debarkation was smooth. We did a Bermuda cruise so I can't say much of the ports, it has been some time since I have been to Freeport, never tho Half moon Cay or Grand Turk. Enjoy your cruise.
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
Old June 17th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Familiar Face

I don't know if this will help--but if you want to be bored by our cruise pictures of this cruise, click below. Some will give you an idea of ship activities. We stopped first to visit our family, so feel free to skip the first 12 pix (although you'll miss some cute granddaughters!). You can either click on individual pictures, or go to slideshow.
Carnival Pride cruise
Old June 17th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry43 View Post
welcome to the best internet cruising board .

ditto!!!!:d:d

Liberty June 2012
Old June 21st, 2012, 12:26 PM
Admiral

Things to know:

1. Carnival charges for soda and bottled water. BUT, you can carry on a reasonable amount. We carry on one 12 pkg per person. Remember you must carry them on.

You can also carry on one bottle of wine or champagne per adult 21 or older.

2. The Spa has a steam room and a sauna that are free. Men and women are separate. The lockers are free as well, but they will keep your Sail and Sign card until you turn the key. Some people think that because you have to go past the Spa reception desk....that it costs more. That is where the gym is also.

3. Additional costs will include parking (if you drive to the port) and the Wait Staff salary. (called gratuities) if you have not prepaid them. (some people prepay....some do not).

4. You will find a Fun Times in your cabin when you arrive that will tell you what is happening, when and where for the rest of the day. A New Fun Time for the next day will be left on your bed when they do the turn down service.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old June 24th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks for the pictures linalcaplan, all of the wait staff, cruise directors, and entertainment staff look different. They must switch up positions all the time.
Old July 1st, 2012, 06:25 PM
Familiar Face

You will have a great time on your Cruise. I have only been to Grand Bahama, but the other two Islands are very nice and I hope to visit them one day soon. Sadly, there is not a whole lot to do in Freeport. But there are some beaches you can visit. I usually just stay on board the ship and enjoy having everyting to myself. It is kind of like having your very own 900 foot private yacht.

I predict you will be returning for another Cruise. It is easy to get hooked.

My Blog can be found at: http://capndinghy.multiply.com/
Old July 7th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Half Moon Cay is a beautiful beach. Freeport has some beautiful beach areas also, although they dont always get good remarks.

Grand Turk is by far my favorite port, out of 12 cruises. The water there is gorgeous!!! At the end of the pier, to the left side, is an area with lots of lounge chairs, compliments of the cruiselines. Its a pretty area with some shade trees. However, the water is that area is full of rocks, so I would advise you to wear water shoes if you go in there. Margaritaville is right behind these lounge chairs. When we were there, the pool was packed, standing room only, but everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. They have the flowrider also. We walked a short distance down the beach to Jacks Shack. Its a very small beach bar, but popular. The water in this area does NOT have any rocks. I enjoyed swimming here. As I said, the water is gorgeous!!

Enjoy your 1st cruise and if you are like the majority, you will be hooked.