Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 12th, 2012, 10:27 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Friendly word of advice about Carnival

Our family had anticipated taking our 4th cruise with Carnival since November. Our oldest child was singing with a local high school choir on the Triumph. We decided that we couldn't miss the experience. We called to book our rooms. Although we had requested that we have adjoining rooms, after we hung up the phone from our booking agent, we realized that the kids rooms were across the hall. We called back immediately to correct the mistake. Apparently it was impossible to get the original booking agent. The second booking agent said that it would be no problem to correct it. He gave us a second booking number and we gave them authorization to take out the necessary funds. The weekend before we decided to drive 6 hours to Galveston, we decided to print off our boarding passes. The site seemed to be having some difficulty pulling up both rooms. We called a representative and she indicated that there was no problem. She wished us a great trip and we felt good to go. We all showed up at 11:30 to find that they had overbooked the ship, and basically had sold our children's room to someone else. They pulled us off to the side, called two security guard's over, and indicated there was nothing that they could do. They only had room for two people. After waiting 4 hours for them to locate the luggage that we dropped off, they then had a cancellation about 4 minutes until 4pm. (Ship was to sail at 4pm) They basically told my husband that the only room available would cost us $1800!!! Our two rooms were 8 floors apart, but thankfully all of our family was able to support our area choir. Message is DON'T CRUISE WITH CARNIVAL. They made US feel like WE had booked it incorrectly. We didn't raise our voices or curse-they brought over security and treated this little family like criminals. Unacceptable treatment when we did our part to book early and gave them authorization to receive payment on our credit card?!! How it happened is a mystery - but it wasn't our fault! It was challenging keeping up with everyone 8 floors apart. Still thankful....but very disappointed.

Last edited by Friendly Cruiser; June 12th, 2012 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Mispelled word
Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2012, 10:35 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I do believe a letter to Carnival should result in a refund of the cruise fare from what you originally paid.

Take care and I hope it works out.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 12th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thank you, friend. However, they basically reimbursed us for the "late booking fee" which was $400. We were only supposed to pay $600 for the room when we booked it in November. We were glad to get "some" money back, but we would have NEVER spent $1800 on any kind of room. We've never spent that kind of money for anything. Terrible experience.
Old June 12th, 2012, 11:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I really sympathize with you, for all the aggrivation you faced, & I too, would be upset by them calling security over. To me, this is a perfect example, of why to book with a travel agent. Your 2nd call would have been taken by the same person who booked your cruise. I still feel a letter to Carnival should be written, calmly stating what happened, just as you did on the ship...glad you were able to enjoy the choir.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 13th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Banned
Captain

I don't for one second believe Carnival will refund any more money...They answer to no one.

Many years ago I booked a cruise on the Carnival Tropical for 11 days. Some of the ports were San Juan, St Thomas, Virgin Gorda (Tortolla), St Lucia, Aruba, Panama Canal and Ocho Rios Jamiaca.

Needless to say the port we were really excited about was the Panama Canal...Now mind you on the Tropical you had to be on one side of the ship to watch the locks at a key advantage point(this was a partial entry in to the Panama Canal). On this sailing it seemed that the entire crew and including the band had all the prime spots taken on the rail of the ship...I along with my wife tried to express the fact that we were paying customers and the crew should give way.
Well all we got were lots of people ignoring our pleas...After things go back to normal and missing the entry my wife and I and many other passengers went to the pursers office (He was one of the guilty party)to lodge formal complaints.
That same day before we left Panama the band was fired and thrown off the ship which proved our point that their was a problem. The rest of the cruise we had no Steel band.

. When we arrived home we wrote letters and made phone calls...the wonderfull gesture Carnival made was a $250 ship board credit on a future cruise.
I of course declined the offer and never sailed with them again.
Old June 13th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Why didn't you use a Travel Agent?

That wouldn't have happened.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old June 13th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Admiral

Button, I think what you got was generous..you should have gone further with that issue onboard, and you may have gotten a credit to use that sailing..You got more than many have, with more serious onboard problems.

Old June 14th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Button, I think what you got was generous..you should have gone further with that issue onboard, and you may have gotten a credit to use that sailing..You got more than many have, with more serious onboard problems.
Yes...and also not to expect anything more from a cruise line is reasonable.
Old June 14th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman View Post
Why didn't you use a Travel Agent?

That wouldn't have happened.
Beleieve it or not, I did use a travel agent and I got more then the travel agent got for us...but either way I was'nt going to sail with them unless I received at least a 50% refund.
Old June 14th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Admiral

I think Snooze was referring to the OP...You cant be serious, expecting a 50 % refund though.

Old June 14th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons16 View Post
Beleieve it or not, I did use a travel agent and I got more then the travel agent got for us...but either way I was'nt going to sail with them unless I received at least a 50% refund.
I'm not sure I understand the Panama Canal transit problem.

On partial transits of the canal cruise ships generarlly go through a portion of the locks in the canal, sail Gatun Lake for a few hours, then turn and return through the locks. So there should have been several opportunities to view the locks from the railing, not just one; one going in and then again coming back through.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old June 14th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
I think Snooze was referring to the OP...You cant be serious, expecting a 50 % refund though.
Thanks Trip, YES I was referring to the OP.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old June 14th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Captain

Smile

I think I might have to stop reading these winey post about Carnival! My wife and I have booked our first cruise with Carnival and the more I read all these winey posts it makes think that we have made a mistake going with Carnival
Old June 14th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhill View Post
I think I might have to stop reading these winey post about Carnival! My wife and I have booked our first cruise with Carnival and the more I read all these winey posts it makes think that we have made a mistake going with Carnival
I have had three wonderful cruises on Carnival; Fantasy, Inspiration & Freedom less than a year ago so donít worry about it. With anything in life things can go wrong but I'm sure your cruise will be great! For every 1 person who has a major complaint you have hundred who donít. Some people really do nitpick just so they can complain. The OP just so happened to have a problem and I can understand their complaint and their displeasure with Carnival but I think for the most part people are very happy. Enjoy your cruise and donít let people rain on your parade!
I also think theres a few Carnival bashers on this board who need to let it go already

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old June 14th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Admiral

DH No matter what line you cruise, there can be a hiccup, that is a bit out of the realm of normal complaint. Things normally run pretty smoothly in general, and now that there are sites like CM,and social media, you hear about it more. Go and enjoy your Carnival cruise..I know I have.

Old June 15th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via MSN to dljones

Take them to small claims court!
Old June 15th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Familiar Face

On my recent 7-day cruise on the dream the cut-backs are obvious. Everything from the choices in the MDR to the buffet. Even the entertainment was slacking. I have a cruise already booked in Sept. on the Valor, it was planned prior to the Dream, if it were not a group of us I would cancel. I will be sticking with RCCL,Celebrity, and Princess. Rather pay a little more and get alot better cruising experience. JMO
3 Holland America cruises
1 Celebrity cruise
Old June 15th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
I'm not sure I understand the Panama Canal transit problem.

On partial transits of the canal cruise ships generarlly go through a portion of the locks in the canal, sail Gatun Lake for a few hours, then turn and return through the locks. So there should have been several opportunities to view the locks from the railing, not just one; one going in and then again coming back through.
Very simple, upon entry the crew and band all took prime spots to view the locks while paying passengers were denied those spots...after all we are the ones paying to see the locks...
Old June 15th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Trip, I kinda knew they were'nt going to refund any money much less 50%...but I also knew I was'nt going to sail with them again. If the Crew can't act professional, then the line does not deserve my money.
Old June 16th, 2012, 08:16 AM
Admiral

I'm a little confused by the original post. Did they pay in full for two cabins? If they booked in November most people would make only deposits. Did they not receive any sort of confirmation by e-mail or snail mail? What did they pay for?

Somebody on the phone told them there was "no problems". Was there no problem with the website or their booking. I am guessing the booking.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old June 20th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
I'm a little confused by the original post. Did they pay in full for two cabins? If they booked in November most people would make only deposits. Did they not receive any sort of confirmation by e-mail or snail mail? What did they pay for?

Somebody on the phone told them there was "no problems". Was there no problem with the website or their booking. I am guessing the booking.
I'm sorry to just be getting back to you. Explanation: We did book the adjoining cabins in November. We did pay an $800 deposit ($200 for each person on reservation). The rest of the cruise was supposed to be about $2000 for the rooms and prepaid gratuities. All of that was authorized to be taken from our credit card on April 5th. Once I called my credit card company, I realized that Carnival Cruise had asked for $1000 less than we were to pay. I did not notice that on my statements. I'm guessing that the person that was dealing with our payment accidentally plugged in the wrong number. It's the ONLY explanation that makes any sense. No e-mails were sent or phone calls made from Carnival asking us for more money? I wonder now why they didn't, at least, e-mail us explaining that our reservations have been changed or that our adjoining room was sold.....people are fallible. Regarding the phone call: I was trying to print off our boarding passes to make check-in easier. I noticed that there was an "error" message when I tried to print off the boarding passes for my children. So, I called customer service and she explained that they are minors. The adults would be the only ones on the reservation. We went to bed thinking we were good to go. We still paid about $600 more than we originally expected to pay. We will make sure that our credit card statement reflects the agreed price from now on. Tough lesson.
Old June 20th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Admiral

Sorry you had the issue, but when you book on line or on the phone directly with any cruise line..... You are accepting the responsibility that you know what you are doing.

It is like selling or buying a house without using a real estate agent.

Individuals who are not informed enough to do this kind of business should use a Travel Agent or PVP.

No cruise line is going to compensate you for not using a professional OR if you are not willing to become informed enough to make a transaction like this.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old June 25th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Familiar Face

Default I agree with original poster

Wow a lot of posters are giving the poster grief about not using a travel agent. Really? I have been on 8 of Carnival cruises and I do love sailing with them. But in there defense, this is a company who promote buying there tickets online and have sales representatives. They to have overbooked me on a cruise with same scenario. Luckily I didnt go to port and called them the week of cruise and they didnt have me booked for two cabins. I got no relief from Carnival had to change vacation days and definitely not compensated. It is Carnivals responsibility to not overbook. I did learn to always use a travel agent after that. I have some friends that will only book through Carnival directly. BIG MISTAKE. I do love Carnival and I was very upset with them and wrote them off. But I took my vacation two weeks later and still had a good time. But again this is not the vacationers fault. Some people are first time cruisers and dont trust travel agents and feel better about going through the company directly. Because hey then you should have no problems because they want you to cruise...WRONG. The demand is so high that there is 10 other people where we ame from.

Carnival Miracle 03/20/04
carnival Holiday 12/02/04
Carnival Miracle 09/04/05
Carnival Fantasy 07/08/06
Carnival Liberty 11/25/06
Carnival Liberty 09/09/07
Carnival Sensation 02/14/08
Carnival Ecstasy 12/05/11

Nothing like cruising with the one you love.
Old June 26th, 2012, 12:24 PM
First Mate

We have used our PVP with Carnival (13 cruises) and to date we have had no problems. So I guess we have been lucky? We used the company trave agents once before we retired but ever since then we have dealt directly with our PVP. So IMO until we have a problem then we feel OK.

Need some cruise help?
Old June 26th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Admiral

From the Carnival cruise contract:
Quote:
(c) Carnival has the right without previous notice to cancel this contract at the port of embarkation or any time during the voyage and shall thereupon return to the Guest, if the Contract is completely canceled, his passage money, or, if the Contract is partially canceled, a proportionate part thereof. Under such circumstances, Carnival shall have no further liability for damages or compensation of any kind.
It's pretty harsh but I imagine it is pretty standard. It took the FAA to force airlines to compensate bumped passengers when a flight is overbooked.

I"ve never been bumped from a cruise so I don't know what happens in the case OP or inv106 described. I am also pretty vicious about checking my booking information frequently.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old June 30th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhill View Post
Not really much to worry about. I've cruised Carnival 26 times and never had a problem, even back when I was a newbie and didn't know how to book.

But even now as an experienced cruiser who doesn't use a TA and books just through the 800# I always have the deckplans up when I'm talking to the reservationist.

I always double check my booking # as soon as it's available on Carnival's website and I always print my cruise documents at least 60 days in advance and doube check them in the days leading up to the cruise.

The worst that has ever happened to me was getting to the pier with IS Upper deck luggage tags on my bags and being upgraded at checkin to a Balcony on the Lido........

Festival 5/1983, Festivale 6/1984, Holiday 7/2001, Inspiration 2/2002
Paradise 3/2004, Pride 9/2004, Victory 5/2005, Conquest 4/2006
Conquest 9/2006, Freedom 3/2007, Glory 9/2007, Conquest 2/2008
Valor 5/2008, Glory 8/2008 & 9/2008, Fantasy 2/2009
Conquest 9/2009, Dream 12/2009, Conquest 2/2010, Ecstasy 4/2010
Conquest 9/2010, Ecstasy 2/2011, Glory 2/2011, Conquest 10/2011
Triumph 11/2011, Magic 3/2012
Old July 1st, 2012, 10:55 AM
Familiar Face

Default Don't Worry - Be Happy

I am not a Carnival 'Shill' but after 14 cruises with them I think you will have a good trip. Go and enjoy. They do a pretty good job most of the time. Of course nothing is perfect.

Have fun.