Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 15th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Key West Mornings

Just booked on Fascination for Key West and Bahamas. Can you believe that the ship gets to Key West at 7a.m. and leaves at 2:30.
What the heck are they thinking? I know that ships have to leave before sunset so that the view from Mallory Square is not blocked at sunset but 2:30 is crazy. Starbucks is not a substitute for Sloppy Joe's or Margaritaville.
There is a great Sea-Doo trip out of Hurricane Hole at 9:30 that we have done before while staying in Key West but it is 3 hours long and really cuts the time short. Come on Carnival. Rethink the times.
Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2012, 06:13 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobytovar View Post
Just booked on Fascination for Key West and Bahamas. Can you believe that the ship gets to Key West at 7a.m. and leaves at 2:30.
What the heck are they thinking? I know that ships have to leave before sunset so that the view from Mallory Square is not blocked at sunset but 2:30 is crazy. Starbucks is not a substitute for Sloppy Joe's or Margaritaville.
There is a great Sea-Doo trip out of Hurricane Hole at 9:30 that we have done before while staying in Key West but it is 3 hours long and really cuts the time short. Come on Carnival. Rethink the times.
Not good times, agree, and don't know why. If you go on Ecstasy from Canaveral, it's there from noon to 8 P.M., no ship is in front of Mallory Square. There is always a view. If there is a ship near Mallory, it's to the left in front of the big hotel.
Old June 16th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Admiral

I guess you could have booked a different cruise.

We as cruisers can vote with our dollars. If there is something we really don't like we should let the cruise lines know why we made a different choice.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old June 16th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

It does seem like some ships are in port a short time, I don't understand it either, hardly time to do an excursion??

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 16th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Admiral

Bad news bearer here Time there is also dependant on which pier you dock at. If it's at the Navy dock, you must be transported to the main area and allow time to get back. You are entering a base, so I.D.'s are checked.
Old June 16th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

When I was on Carnival, we had to dock at the Navy pier, not close to town and you had to go by bus to get from and back to dock...not fun. So, that does take up some time there too.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 16th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Admiral

We were transported by a train tram. Kind of the scenic route, but enjoyed it.
Old June 16th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Admiral

I believe that some of those short, and somewhat illogical, times in certain ports have to do with either the time needed to get there from the last port or to get to the next port. A perfect example is some of the itineraries which have you in San Juan, Puerto Rico, from late in the afternoon until midnight. Not conducive to sight seeing at all! Key West is another one which you often see with an early departure to allow enough time to get to the next port.

I agree that it would be ideal to pick a ship and itinerary which give you the time you want in the ports which are important to you, but sometimes they're just not available when or for the length of time that you can cruise. In those cases, we just have to make the most of what is available and enjoy our cruises.
Old June 16th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Oh Whoopee...
We have always docked close to Mallory Square and a short walk to Duval St.
Hope it is not the Navy yard this time. Last time there was on Conquest.
Thanks for the reply.
Old June 17th, 2012, 10:24 AM
First Mate

It seems that the cruise industry has found an alternative way to suck the money from our wallets and we don't object. If we are on the ship longer we spend our dollars on the ship, not in port. They dally around the ocean and tell us they need the time to get to the next port. B.S. Don't believe me, take a ( GPS ) with you and chart your own course and you will see my point.
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
Old June 17th, 2012, 11:36 PM
Admiral

Dezert cruiser makes a point I think most people over look. For every mile you sail away from the home port, you have to sail that mile back.
Another thing that is over looked, regardless of how many GPS thingies you have, the cruise lines basically have lanes they travel in, just like a highway and can't always just draw a straight line from A to B. There's other commercial shipping , military ships, other cruise lines and etc so there has to be some measure of control and order.
And,too, the cruise lines are not in charge of the port facilities--the port aurhority is--they determine who comes and goes and to a big degree, when. I've been to Key West several times and have used both the regular dock and also the Navy pier.
And too, a certain amount of time has to be alloted for any unforseen events that could cause a delay, so all in all, I think they do pretty well considering the distances they sail.
To sail from J.Ville, to Key West, to Nassua and back to J.Ville on a 5 day cruise ( it may be called a 5 day cruise but it's actually 4 , with 5 nights ) means you're going to be cut short somewhere along the line as far as port time goes and it clearly shows in the itin. the times of arrival and departure from the ports.
I think if you're going to take a short cruise that has a stretch of ocean to cover, it's better to look over the itin. prior to booking to decide if it's worth the trouble or not.
Just my humble and worthless opinion.
Old June 17th, 2012, 11:46 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Taste of Key West

My first visit to key west was via cruise ship years ago. I knew I wanted to return and spend more time there. Since that first taste of key west I have returned many times.

My suggestion is that you fly there and spend a week or two. After two weeks you may decide to buy property there! You will never really experience Key West from a cruise ship.
Old June 18th, 2012, 01:53 AM
Captain

The ship does have a lot of ground to cover but I'd imagine people would prefer 12 hours in 3 ports rather than going to 4 ports for 7-8 which is normal. Problem is none of the major lines have this sort of itinerary to spend our dollars there instead.

We should have a poll
Old June 18th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Key West

We are just happy to be going on a cruise. It is what you make it

Holiday 2002
Conquest 2004
Sensation 2008
Splendor 2009
Elation 2010
Triumph 2011
Conquest 2012
Elation 2012
Elation 2012 (B2B)
Conquest 2013
Dream 2014
Old June 18th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Admiral

our last couple of cruises we rather chugged on home because of the time/distance thing. We joked they were making the crew row. Now worries we were not in a hurry.

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Old June 18th, 2012, 10:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

We live in Evans, Ga. and our closest ports are Charleston 3 hrs. or Jacksonville, 5 hrs. Charleston and Jacksonville both go only to the Bahamas or occasionally Key West. We drove to Ft. Lauderdale, 13 hours, for a great 8 day cruise to the southern caribbean on Miracle and it's another hour to Miami. Air fare is so prohibitive and luggage fees for a cruise are just too high. We can drive to Key West in 15 hrs. We spent a week there last year and it was the first time we experienced the night life there. Totally wild and fun.
Old June 19th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Admiral

Tobyvar - I live in Indianapolis, 700 miles from my nearest port.

Old June 19th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
Tobyvar - I live in Indianapolis, 700 miles from my nearest port.
Last year I drove from S Indiana to Mobile to cruise- we got on I-65 and kept going until we saw the ship! Shame they have taken that away, it was a long ride but so much better than flying with all it's restrictions..
Old June 21st, 2012, 12:12 PM
Admiral

I am guessing the bars will still be open.... Woohoo

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old July 3rd, 2012, 08:50 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobytovar View Post
There is a lot to do in Key West. Perhaps you would find you could really enjoy the island better by visiting there for a few days so you could do everything you wanted. That way you wouldn't be so upset when the visit is so short.

My Blog can be found at: http://capndinghy.multiply.com/
Old July 3rd, 2012, 10:41 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capndinghy View Post
There is a lot to do in Key West. Perhaps you would find you could really enjoy the island better by visiting there for a few days so you could do everything you wanted. That way you wouldn't be so upset when the visit is so short.
Did that , booked a room for five days.
After three days ,Hasta la vista Baby ! But it was a good thing !
And returned ,several times later !
Old July 4th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Phil View Post
Did that , booked a room for five days.
After three days ,Hasta la vista Baby ! But it was a good thing !
And returned ,several times later !
Phil, 3 days in Key West is about all one's Liver can withstand. Butt (pun intended) it is a fun place isn't it!

My Blog can be found at: http://capndinghy.multiply.com/
Old July 5th, 2012, 12:25 AM
Familiar Face

Yes it is, Now you have me looking at KW for a cruise
Old July 8th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Familiar Face

I loved it in KW when we cruised there. Having to leave at 2:30 would be disappointing to me too.

Carnival Triumph-2-25-2013
Carnival Magic-11-27-2011
Carnival Ecstasy-11-08-2010
Carnival Conquest-9-20-2009
Carnival Ecstasy- 11-20-2008
Carnival Conquest-2-24- 2008
RCCL Splendour of the Seas-2006
Carnival Elation-2005
Carnival Elation- 2004
Carnival Celebration- 2003
Old July 8th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Familiar Face

I would be fine being in fewer ports but for a much longer time, like someone else mentioned!

Carnival Magic - 8/26/2012
Carnival Breeze - 1/19/2013

Conquest - 2011, Oasis B2B - 2011
Conquest-2010, Ecstasy-2010, Conquest-2009,
Ecstasy-2009, Brilliance-2008, Miracle-2007,
Conquest-2006, Rhapsody-2005, Vision - 2003,
Rhapsody-2002, Inspiration-2001, Jubilee-1999
Old July 9th, 2012, 12:47 PM
First Mate

That has always been my biggest complaint about Imagination's call on Key West. But we usually walk up Whitehead to Southern Most Point for photo ops, then cut over to Duval and slowly meander. The bars tend to start opening around 10 or 11. We usually end up at New Orleans house and 808 (Granted, not everyone's cupatea, but great for me and my group)

But my love of Key West from 2 cruise ports has me taking off the last weekend of August and driving down for the weekend. Just gotta find a good deal on hotels. Again, probably New Orleans House.

Past cruises:

Disney Dream - Dec 2013 4n Bahamas
Disney Dream - Dec 2012 4n Bahamas
Carnival Imagination - Dec 2011 4n Western
Carnival Imagination - Nov 2010 4n Western
Costa Atlantica - Dec 2009 7n Eastern

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.