CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Galveston Pier 22??? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/390241-galveston-pier-22-a.html)

Host Mach June 30th, 2012 10:27 AM

Galveston Pier 22???

As I've been out of the loop for a bit I was wondering if anyone is aware of the status of the Texas Seaport Museum at Pier 22?

I just looked at the webcams there and it looks like they're tearing it apart. The Elissa has been docked at Pier 21 for quite some time but this is the first that I've seen about Elissa's original home being dismanttled...

:-?

lhp June 30th, 2012 10:49 PM

Did I hear that Gaveston is considering building yet another terminal????

Could be they are clearing the way for that???

Waiting4acruise June 30th, 2012 11:06 PM

I have not heard anything on that. But I think there will be 4 cruiselines using the terminals this winter.

I'm a happy cruiser June 30th, 2012 11:22 PM

Yes I read that. Galveston has hired a consulting firm in reference to Pier 23 I think it was. The article also mentioned that Disney would be doing seasonal cruises and that Princess would be doing an initial 19 cruises. This makes me think that maybe with the wording that Princess might be looking at Galveston for a year around port.

At least that is whay I am hoping.

Waiting4acruise June 30th, 2012 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I'm a happy cruiser (Post 1435322)
Yes I read that. Galveston has hired a consulting firm in reference to Pier 23 I think it was. The article also mentioned that Disney would be doing seasonal cruises and that Princess would be doing an initial 19 cruises. This makes me think that maybe with the wording that Princess might be looking at Galveston for a year around port.

At least that is whay I am hoping.

I hope so. It would give us more choices and keep prices competetive.

Snoozeman July 1st, 2012 12:10 AM

The port authority owns the property on either side of the current piers. Of course one side has the Elissa, etc. and the other the grain elevator. Both are money makers so the possible expansion will be on Pelican Island. Actually I like the idea as the auto traffic will be separated from the existing terminals.

Not sure what's going on with the museum.

AggieTexan July 1st, 2012 09:43 AM

I read in an article the other day that Galveston is looking hard at the options for a third terminal. Not sure what's going on with the Seaport Museum.

LanieK July 2nd, 2012 07:30 AM

I still don't understand why they let the brand new terminal building at Bayport sit empty.

Snoozeman July 2nd, 2012 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LanieK (Post 1435826)
I still don't understand why they let the brand new terminal building at Bayport sit empty.

I think the Houston politicians messed that one up. It's a very nice facility. Sailed from there once. I'm still hoping that a cruise line like MSC will consider sailing from there. Hope so.

And Welcome to Cruisemates Lanie!

LanieK July 2nd, 2012 08:23 AM

We cruised from there once also.....they need to build some hotels around it and open it up.

Thanks for the welcome.

cruising1953 July 2nd, 2012 11:17 AM

I also heard that they are looking at another pier as well. Probably figure that it will be necessary with other cruiselines coming in to help with the congestion factor. Always said that Galveston will one day be a big cruise port.;)

Waiting4acruise July 2nd, 2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoozeman (Post 1435831)
I think the Houston politicians messed that one up. It's a very nice facility. Sailed from there once. I'm still hoping that a cruise line like MSC will consider sailing from there. Hope so.

And Welcome to Cruisemates Lanie!

I cruised out of there of the Conquest. We were the last cruise to sail out of it.
It was nice to see our car in the parking lot when we returned.
I saw a news report that Houston is gong to find another use for that terminal.

lhp July 7th, 2012 11:00 AM

I was also wondering about Houston....

I wonder why that terminal did not go over well????

It seemed to be convenient to the airports and hotels....

I'm a happy cruiser July 7th, 2012 03:22 PM

One of the reasons cruise lines do not like to sail from the Port of Houston is the added cost of the fuel to get to the gulf and the added time when Galveston is so much closer.

lhp July 29th, 2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I'm a happy cruiser (Post 1436990)
One of the reasons cruise lines do not like to sail from the Port of Houston is the added cost of the fuel to get to the gulf and the added time when Galveston is so much closer.

Good point. I was wondering if it is also the amount of ship traffic they have to deal with and how things like fog might hinder things.....

Phil&Liz August 4th, 2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoozeman (Post 1435831)
I think the Houston politicians messed that one up.

Looks like they know it and are "addressing" it.

Texas Sunset Commission Review of the Port of Houston

"The Port of Houston Authority is not a broken organization, despite the image that may appear through the the harsh glare of the media spotlight or a cursory reading of this report's findings," the commission said in the summary of its report. "Certainly, the authority has had its missteps and the scrutiny and criticism those missteps attract are justified. However, nothing is gained from dwelling on he details of past controversies except to learn from them and guide the way forward."