Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 3rd, 2012, 11:18 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Interview with Bob Dickinson

Interview with Bob Dickinson

Kuki spied the elusive former Carnival president sailing on the Breeze and managed to get an interview

Bob Dickinson, author and businessman, is one of the most recognizable figures in cruising.
To people who have been cruising, or involved in the cruise industry for awhile, the name Bob Dickinson is synonymous with the modern cruise industry, and Carnival Corporation.

Bob was President and CEO of Carnival Corporation until his retirement 5 years ago. His book, Selling The Sea, is one of the most interesting written for those with a interest in the industry, and an excellent read.
And Bob believes, "the same principles still apply today".

Bob continues to sit on the Board of Directors at Carnival Corp., so obviously maintains a strong interest in the industry. Though now he is heavily involved in volunteer charity work; his top cause - among others - is attempting to rid the City of Miami of its homeless problem.

He spends 35-40 hours a week of his time, working tirelessly for the charity, and in speaking with him, it's obviously near and dear to his heart.

Read more: Interview with Bob Dickinson
Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2012, 02:06 PM
Admiral

I have often wondered how things would be different if Vicki Freed had gotten the nod instead of Cahill.

She was an original member of the Rat Pack and went to RCCL after being overlooked for this promotion.

She and I did not always agree, but I found her to be someone who always listened and evaluated what was being said before issuing her opinion.

And I respected that.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old July 3rd, 2012, 02:37 PM
First Mate

I have a copy of the book $$elling the $ea" and have read it many times. I make a habit of reading it again just before I take a cruise to remind me of all the different things that go into making a cruise work. If you haven't read it, I would highly recommend it. It sure was an eye opener for me!
Old July 3rd, 2012, 03:07 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Both really good points. Vicki's announcement that she was going to RCI was a shocker and I hate to say it but there are women at RCI who are much more in the public eye today than Vicki - Dondra and Lisa Bauer for example.

I do see Vicki once in awhile - I would like to know how she is really doing. She seems happy - but it is curious that she seems to be so quiet because she was also outspoken when at Carnival.

Plus Bob was always outspoken which made for some great, really quotable moments. He never held back what he was really thinking, which is always refreshing.

I would have liked to have heard what he really thought about the new Carnival, but I am sure he would not say a lot on the record - you'd have to get him after a few bottles of wine. ;-)
Old July 3rd, 2012, 06:53 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Both really good points. Vicki's announcement that she was going to RCI was a shocker and I hate to say it but there are women at RCI who are much more in the public eye today than Vicki - Dondra and Lisa Bauer for example.

I do see Vicki once in awhile - I would like to know how she is really doing. She seems happy - but it is curious that she seems to be so quiet because she was also outspoken when at Carnival.

Plus Bob was always outspoken which made for some great, really quotable moments. He never held back what he was really thinking, which is always refreshing.

I would have liked to have heard what he really thought about the new Carnival, but I am sure he would not say a lot on the record - you'd have to get him after a few bottles of wine. ;-)
Yep, any "big wig" at a huge corporation that lets folks call him Uncle Bob is ok in my book!!

Would love to hear some of those "thoughts" as well....

Kuki asked about any Uncle Bob moments.....

we had one years ago. Because of some minor issues we had on one cruise, he had a PVP call me with a "deal" (which we accepted). That PVP booked our cruises from then on. He is now the head of sales at Oceania. I miss him (and Uncle Bob).

20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
Old July 3rd, 2012, 07:06 PM
Admiral

For those who have read Uncle Bob's book, you know what a penny pincher he was, but he does have personality.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 07:55 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I have some great Uncle Bob quotes from Seatrade...

2005 was a bad year in the cruise industry, accusations of rape, missing people, etc. Worst was the George Smith Honeymooner who went missing from Brilliance of the Seas in the Med.

RCCL prez Richard Fain was talking about the incident and how they have stepped up security efforts. He said something about how unlucky it was for Royal caribbean to have been caught up in some of the worst incidents that year - and then he said something like "George Smith just happened to choose Royal Caribbean, but he could have just as easily chosen NCL or Carnival."

Bob shot back immediately, "Yeah, but if he had been on Carnival there never wouldn't have been an incident."

He said it jokingly, not mean-spirited, but I think he was saying something about running a tighter ship where security is concerned. Fain had no reply.

Then there was the time when Bob said something about the percentage of direct sales to customer by Carnival being well under 10% (this was 2005) when Colin Veitch shot back, "I think Mr Dickinson is using statistic like a drunk uses a lamppost - for support rather than illumination."

Then one time I caught him at a convention where he was about to speak and he said he had just come back from a travel agent gathering where they were all saying Carnival was not doing enough to support them ,etc. and he quipped to us, "Man, what a bunch of whiners...."

Of course, in his boo he always pointed out ways travel agents could do thing better, like "why run your biggest ads on Sunday but not have anyone to answer phones?" etc, etc....

Basically, his position was "we still pay the highest commissions in the travel world, take some responsibility yourself..."
Old July 7th, 2012, 08:35 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to MrPete

Miss Bob's Carnival.
Old July 7th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPete View Post
Miss Bob's Carnival.

I have to say that since Uncle Bob is still on the board.....does he not have any power to stop the changes that folks seem to be so upset about????