Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 5th, 2012, 11:16 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Making friends on the cruise?

I'm 15 and I'll be cruising on Carnival in a few weeks time, but I'm a little nervous.
I know there's a teen club called Club O2, last year I went on another ship and although I made some friends, it was hard because I was a little shy.
This time, I'm older, and my fashion sense has matured a lot too (I'm not ugly or anything, just shy).
I'm still not outgoing, but I'm much better around people - still a little shy around new people though, but I talk a mile a minute once I open up to people who aren't intimidating.
On this cruise I don't want to be a part of that boring group who's just standing there, I want to make friends with cool people who know how to have a good time, be crazy, both guys and girls. And it wouldn't hurt if there was a cute guy on the cruise too, any tips on how to have a normal conversation with them - or how to get their attention?
I know I have to go there on the first day, but I'm nervous - I know from experience that I have to make the first move and talk to people, so do you have any tips on how I can start an interesting (and non awkward) conversation, and seem generally outgoing and fun without people knowing that I'm the least bit shy? And more outgoing people sort of intimidate me because I feel unwanted, even though it's so easy for me to make friends at school, but not in new places for some odd reason.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2012, 12:20 AM
Familiar Face

I think you can start conversation about the ship and the ports you will be visiting, ask around who's on their first cruise, who's been to our ports already, etc etc...the teen clubs on Carnival always seem active and fun!! Remember to smile so people know you are open to new friendships and you will attract like-minded friendly people!! Most of all have FUN!!
Old July 6th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Admiral

Hey - I know it can be tough, even at 53 I can be shy. Not a very good conversation starter but can keep one going.

There are plenty of questions you can ask, after introducing yourself; have you cruised before, what are you going to do/did you do in port, what do you think or Carnival, O2, isn't this lame? Of course there are the standard questions; where are you from, what do you like, etc. People think you are fascinating when you let them talk about themselves. Be sure to answer their questions as well. It is a conversation not an interview

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old July 6th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Cruise Maniac

I am no where near 15 but I can remember how hard it could be to meet new people.
I am an only child so I never had any companions my age traveling.
I could hang out with adults and get treated like a servant or I could go find kids to hang out with.
After many struggles with awkward moments I find one thing always true, people love to talk about themselves. A smile and a friendly question about the person will normally kick things right off.
I am in my mid 40s so I have no teen relavent advice, as my 15 year old daughter will you

Have fun on your cruise.
Old July 6th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Familiar Face

Think of this way. The other kids will be thinking the same thing you are and have the same worries. I am sure you will find that you make new friends and will have a great time.
Enjoy!

My Blog can be found at: http://capndinghy.multiply.com/
Old July 6th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capndinghy View Post
Think of this way. The other kids will be thinking the same thing you are and have the same worries. I am sure you will find that you make new friends and will have a great time.
Enjoy!

Agreed !! Just be yourself and enjoy the cruise....

I will share this story.... our son is now 20 and has Autism.

As you can imagine, that can be a tough thing, when you are thrown into a bunch of 15 -17 year olds that you do not know.

He is very high functioning and always made lots of friends on cruises.

How? He was just himself. He has an incredible sense of humor and most teens that have taken the time to get to know him....end up hanging with him the rest of the cruise.

So go...and just be yourself and have a wonderful cruise!!

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old July 6th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thank you guys so much!
I will just go up to them and say hi, start a conversation, and hopefully I'll become more at ease with the icebreaker games. And I'll try to smile lol
Old July 7th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyItsMay View Post
Thank you guys so much!
I will just go up to them and say hi, start a conversation, and hopefully I'll become more at ease with the icebreaker games. And I'll try to smile lol
Best advice someone gave me a LONG time ago is, walk into any room with your head held high and a smile on your face like YOU are the most confident person in the World! That attitude carries over when people see you walk in! Have fun and enjoy!
Old July 8th, 2012, 06:02 AM
Captain

Remember this, you will probably never see these people you meet again! they don't know you and you don't know them. This is a great place to try and come out of your shyness. Remember that you are beautiful, funny, exciting and a great person to be around!

Lots of good advise here, use it and have a great time.

Caribbean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 2015
Carnival Sunshine Feb 2016