Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 14th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Montego Bay Plans

This will be our second trip to Jamaica, the first was 6 years ago. Last time we hit Margaritville, local beach and shopping. Even then, I didn't have a totally secure feeling.
This time around we really wanted to stick to a Carnival excursion but are really not seeing anything on the website that grabs our attention that has good reviews.

Anyone have any great suggestions or recommendations? We are easy going, lazy beach people or willing to do the most extreme adventure out there so there is nothing we wouldn't consider.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old July 14th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Admiral

Last time I took the HoHo bus to the Rose Hall Shops, then walked to Rose Hall and took a tour. Not a vendor to be seen (other than when driving through town).

Pictures here:

Montego Bay, Jamaica
Page1 - Hop On Hop On Bus, The Shoppes at Rose Hall, Rose Hall Great House,
Page2 - Rose Hall Great House
Page3 - Rose Hall Great House
Page4 - Rose Hall Great House
Page5 - Hop On Hop Off Shuttle, Port Area, Carnival Magic, Deli Combo Sandwich, Red Velvet Cupcakes, Paris Breast, Cookies,
Old July 14th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I became disenchanted with Jamaica, and after 3 visits, with island tours and shopping, I am done . I understand your security feelings as well. If you are so inclined, I have seen this excursion many times on tv,and could be fun. I would do it with Carnival if they offer it.

Welcome To Rafting On The Martha Brae

You also might consider a day pass at Sandals Resort,and veg in the comfort of the resort..

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 14th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Familiar Face

The happiest people I ever saw in Montego Bay were the drunks coming back in from a Sailing Booze Cruise. They had a great time because they never stepped ashore. Make no mistake about it the Jamaicans to not like is. You were right not to feel very comfortable there. I first started traveling there in 1967 on business, so I know of what I say. When the ship docks in MoBay..I stay on board and pretend I am on a 1000 foot private yacht. Sure beats getting 'beat up' ashore. It is a beautiful Island. I wish I had something good to say about it

My Blog can be found at: http://capndinghy.multiply.com/
Old July 14th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Familiar Face

I recommend Marva Shaw Tours, you can look up Marva Shaw on FB and I believe the website is knowjamaica.com...The crazies group uses Marva every time when in Jamaica, and Marva does an outstanding job of helping you see what you want in her country. Last time there on BC5, we had a large group that divided on who wanted to do what <like herding cats we are lol> so she took one group to Rose Hall and for a tour/shopping, and another group got dropped off at Dr's Cave Beach. We spent a few hours at the beach <and bar> there. We then walked a couple blocks along that main road to M'Ville and they picked us up there at the agreed time to go back. Fabulous day!!! HTH!
Old July 15th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Admiral

I agree...

while Ocho Rios has gotten better (we were able to walk from the port to the Island Village at the top of the street without getting "beat up" (or begged out)...

I am still not a fan of Montego Bay.

The last time we were there we decided to just walk around the compound right there at the dock. We figured we would be "safe"....

wrong....

next time, we will just stay on the ship.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old July 15th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

One day, Cuba will replace Jamaica, on the western itinerary..at least that's what I am hoping for...I've given this port 3 tries, & they struck out, in my mind.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 15th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Admiral

We went zip lining in Montego Bay. Loved it.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old July 15th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Admiral

The Appleton Estate tour is really nice. Next time I go I want to do Rose Hall.
Old July 17th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moiraine View Post
The Appleton Estate tour is really nice. Next time I go I want to do Rose Hall.
Hi every one, My name is Courtney Taylor and i am a independent tour operator in Montego Bay Jamaica. My tours in this area would start with some sight seeing in the mountains, towns and local community. Also a visit to the White Whitch of Rose Hall Great House. Then we do some shopping, beach and lunch. You get your own private guide for the day and go at your own time. You can google coutney taylor tours jamaica for reviews and other information
Old July 17th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Welcome Newcomer

We always book with Knowjamaica.com. They are great and will take you where ever you want to go. We plan a tour. And I ask around the ship. Plenty of people join our van.We go to Scottiies for Jerk, Richmond Hill Hip strip , the Market, Dr Cave Beach, The Square.
Old July 17th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Welcome Newcomer

www.knowjamacia.com Plan your own trip. We love them.
Old July 18th, 2012, 01:23 AM
Familiar Face

Well you can also try Untitled Page private and affordable
Old July 22nd, 2012, 02:20 PM
Familiar Face

Make no mistake about it the Jamaicans to not like is.

What?
Old July 22nd, 2012, 11:25 PM
Welcome Newcomer

look at the dalphin swim you get to swim with 12 dalphins for 45 min to 1 hours 129.99 it looks so great and the reviews are execlent. my friend do it a few years ago and said there is nothing to compare and she does a ot of dalphin adventures
Old July 24th, 2012, 11:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi, Mischef. We just got home on Saturday from the Freedom. In MB, we took a shore excursion thru the ship to an all inclusive resort--Seawinds Family All Inclusive Beach Day. We took a bus less than 10 minutes away to the resort and you could see the general area if you looked in that direction on the stern of the ship. The resort was pretty and all secure, locked up tight to prevent others not on the shore excursion to enter. They had chairs set up by the pool area and on the beach. Those on the beach were less than 2" apart. There were also cabanas available upon which you were able to sit on what looked like mattresses. The tour was overbooked and there were not enough chairs for everyone. The staff was very accommodating, moving chairs around, getting drinks for eveyone, etc. There were also vendors on the premise selling their wares, but they were not in your face.

Unfortunately, we left after one hour (the weather was changing and too many people, in our opinion), especially when I saw part of lunch. The hot dogs were already cooked and were placed in a plastic container. The hot dog rolls were in another container, all squashed up against each other. I am sure there was more food than that, but did not stay that long to see what they actually put out for consumption.

We paid $110/pp and did not complain when we got back to the ship. It was our decision to leave, just not our thing. A man at the resort took us back to the ship in his car. We tipped him generously, although he never said anything about a charge.

We did hear from others about taking a cab to the Margaritaville area and they complained of drugs, sellers/pushers, and other horrors, so be forewarned. If you decide to go there, take an excursion or be with alot of people. Don't go off on your own.

Good luck!
Old July 24th, 2012, 11:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Ihp, when we were in Ocho Rios our initial trip, we went over to Sandals Resort for the day. We grabbed a cab from the ship and the same driver picked us up when we were ready to return to the ship.

On the way back, we asked that he drop us off at Margaritaville. While walking in that mall, we were approached by locals inquiring if we wanted to take a tour with them. As we were walking down the street a block or so from the ship, there were "vendors" along the street trying to sell their "stuff." Police were standing by, so we felt somewhat safe.

The next time we took a walk to another local mall near the beach and anytime we passed a store, the locals again came out, urging us to go into their store and buy something. We said a simple, "No thank you," did not make eye contact, and continued to walk.

Not a great place if you are concerned about safety. Enuf said!
Old July 25th, 2012, 04:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

The times have changed! I spent a week in Montego Bay in the 80's. We were told not to buy tours from random people on the streets. They reccommended using tour conductors that were on our hotel premises. We did and we had a wonderful man who took us everywhere. Back then there were no shops at Rose Hall. I thourougly enjoyed that tour. Such a beautiful house. Our guide also took us to a place in the mountains that overlooked the ocean. Really beautiful scenery. The home was owned by an old woman who fed the birds. She would tell us to sit and hold our hands out palms up. Then she would put seed in our hands. The birds would come and feed right out of our hands. Then she had little "nip" bottles that she put little spouts on. She filled them with hummingbird food. She would have us sit and hold the bottle still in front of us. The hummingbirds would come right up and feed. It was amazing to watch those amazing birds up close. I do not imagine that she is still there doing that but it was a fun tour. Not many of the tour people went there as the roads were not good going up there. I thought it was well worth trip. There was no charge for this but you could leave a donation so she could buy the seed and hummingbird food. Of all the tours I have ever done that was a favorite. It was nice, not full of pushy people selling us junk. Every day that we had our tour guide from the hotel we were the only ones in his van. Nice private tours. One day we did go off the hotel property to the shopping center nearby. From the moment we stepped out of the gate at the hotel until we went back in we were pestered by street vendors. We got to be friends with the tour guide and on our last night there we took him and his wife to dinner at a beautiful restaurant that overlooked the bay. It was a fun trip and we enoyed it.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old July 30th, 2012, 03:37 AM
Familiar Face

Ok I've got to ask for those of you who have such negative feelings about MoBay when was the last time y'all were there? We were there in Oct, Mar, May, and July and have never experienced anything like y'all have described and have never done a ships excursion.

Were these incidents recent? I mean don't get me wrong, we were offered weed but a simple "no" settled that issued and we went on about our business. Other than that no problems and that wasn't a problem for us because we said no.

I'm just curious if these things happened years ago or recently?

Sweet
loves to cruise!

Old July 30th, 2012, 06:22 PM
First Mate

We have been going to an all-inclusive through jamaica for a day website. I believe it is the Hilton. They pick you up and drop you off. Never over-crowded. The beach is nice and there is a huge pool and also a lazy river pool with waterslides and a swim up bar. The drinks are included and good, the food is really good. Never any hassles or "sales" people. We are going back in Jan.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 11:17 PM
Familiar Face

I agree 100% with Floatie and Ladysplenda about Marva Shaw. The tour was wonderful.
Pride-2006, Mexican Riviera
Ecstasy-2009
Ecstasy- 2011, 1st cruise with the Crazies
Conquest-2011, Halloween with the Crazies
Magic-2012, BC5 with the Crazies

Booked:
Breeze-2013, BC6 with the Crazies

2 cruises, 2008 cancelled due to hurricanes
Old August 5th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetlissa View Post
Ok I've got to ask for those of you who have such negative feelings about MoBay when was the last time y'all were there? We were there in Oct, Mar, May, and July and have never experienced anything like y'all have described and have never done a ships excursion.

Were these incidents recent? I mean don't get me wrong, we were offered weed but a simple "no" settled that issued and we went on about our business. Other than that no problems and that wasn't a problem for us because we said no.

I'm just curious if these things happened years ago or recently?
We have been there many times, but the last time was last year.

I do not appreciate being tracked like an animal when trying to walk about the stores right there at the ship....and then being spat at when I ignore them.

On that cruise, there were 2 sisters in their 70's. They were telling me what they had planned and I felt ok when they said they were on a ship tour....since they had never traveled.

They stepped off the bus at one shopping opportunity and as they stepped off the bus....one vendor physically grabbed one sister and another vendor physically grabbed the other sister and started pulling them in opposite directions.

One of the just caught herself from falling (which at that age could have easily broken a hip).... they both broke free and immediately got back on the bus.

There is simply no excuse at all for physically grabbing someone....period.

Montego Bay (specifically) and Jamaica in general has a nasty reputation and they did not earn that from just a few folks offering tourists weed.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old August 5th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

This is my major disappointment with Jamaica, no need for that kind of treatment to your tourists...In Montego Bay, I just did a ship excursion, so didn't have to encounter that at all, thank God...I don't plan on ever stopping at Jamaica again, which is a total shame, it is a beautiful island....Like some have mentioned, once Cuba has opened up to us Americans and cruises, we may see less and less of Jamaica as a cruise port.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 5th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Familiar Face

I'm so glad I've never encountered the things y'all have.

Sweet
loves to cruise!

Old August 6th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendjeff View Post
We have been going to an all-inclusive through jamaica for a day website. I believe it is the Hilton. They pick you up and drop you off. Never over-crowded. The beach is nice and there is a huge pool and also a lazy river pool with waterslides and a swim up bar. The drinks are included and good, the food is really good. Never any hassles or "sales" people. We are going back in Jan.

We've been to the Hilton also, very nice. Going back in Oct.
Old August 6th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhp View Post
We have been there many times, but the last time was last year.

I do not appreciate being tracked like an animal when trying to walk about the stores right there at the ship....and then being spat at when I ignore them.
^^ This happened in the port at MoBay last year?

On that cruise, there were 2 sisters in their 70's. They were telling me what they had planned and I felt ok when they said they were on a ship tour....since they had never traveled.

They stepped off the bus at one shopping opportunity and as they stepped off the bus....one vendor physically grabbed one sister and another vendor physically grabbed the other sister and started pulling them in opposite directions.

One of the just caught herself from falling (which at that age could have easily broken a hip).... they both broke free and immediately got back on the bus.

There is simply no excuse at all for physically grabbing someone....period.

Agreed!

Montego Bay (specifically) and Jamaica in general has a nasty reputation and they did not earn that from just a few folks offering tourists weed.
I agree they do have a bad reputation, just I haven't experienced any of that on my trips there. Our first trip there we were hesitant to even get off the ship but I'm glad we did. I really do enjoy Jamaica and I know others who do as well. I hate that the women experienced the bad things but you're from Memphis so you know that stuff could've happened there too and does on a daily basis.

Sweet
loves to cruise!